The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Geography 2013/14

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Does anyone know how much you should typically write for the 40 mark essay?
Subbed :biggrin:

4 topics:
- Plate Tectonics
- Weather and Climate
- World Cities
- Development and Globalisation

We can do this guys :biggrin:
Original post by jammiedodger546
The Brown Agenda is a mix of social and environmental problems brought about by rapid growth and industrialisation associated with economic development.

It has three components:

Limit of good quality housing

Poor sanitation, no basic infrastructure, limited access to services

Pollution and poor health & safety.

And if anyone's interested, in A2 year doing Dev Glob, World Cities, Tectonics and then the fieldwork skills paper (4A?)

Ahh yes thanks for that :biggrin: Is that on the world citties topic?
Original post by Blueray2
Anyone done any past paper questions yet?

Yes - some shorter ones and a couple of 40 markers. Why?
Original post by daisystones
Yes - some shorter ones and a couple of 40 markers. Why?

Can you pm me your answers, i'll send you mine as well :biggrin:
Reply 45
Oh christ almighty I didn't know most schools just did 3! I'm doing Plate Tectonics, Weather, Conflicts and Development & Globalisation. I wish I didn't have to do Weather and could do World Cities instead of Conflicts. I can't stand Conflicts and Cities was my favourite topic at GCSE! Oh well.
Original post by MaryTozer
Oh christ almighty I didn't know most schools just did 3! I'm doing Plate Tectonics, Weather, Conflicts and Development & Globalisation. I wish I didn't have to do Weather and could do World Cities instead of Conflicts. I can't stand Conflicts and Cities was my favourite topic at GCSE! Oh well.

I'm a military geographer, but not the keenest on the conflict unit, it's not the hardest I find in terms of content, know worse, but it looks at too modern conflicts, seems to neglect the huge amount of historical geography related to the discipline that that unit should have associated to it.

There is quite an odd conflict geography bit of research going on at the minute, looking at WW1 and strategies used there, and remodelling them, looking at both strategies used by both sides and modelling a perfect strategy to save lives. However current research in conflicts would never appear in AQA as they like modern conflicts...
Reply 47
wow , tiring week for the geog4A exam!
Reply 48
Original post by clareramos
I'm a military geographer, but not the keenest on the conflict unit, it's not the hardest I find in terms of content, know worse, but it looks at too modern conflicts, seems to neglect the huge amount of historical geography related to the discipline that that unit should have associated to it.

There is quite an odd conflict geography bit of research going on at the minute, looking at WW1 and strategies used there, and remodelling them, looking at both strategies used by both sides and modelling a perfect strategy to save lives. However current research in conflicts would never appear in AQA as they like modern conflicts...

Wow we don't look at anything to do with strategy, that's very weird! We're just doing the Israeli Palestine conflict, the HS2 conflict and the Heathrow T5 conflict... Yawn
Hey everyone, so I had this question: If you have time, could you read it and tell me what you think please?

Assess the role of social and economic grouping of nations in the world today.

This is what I wrote about the EU.

Since the establishment of the European Union (EU) in 1956, the grouping of 27 member states has become a model for other intra-continental groupings as a result of the success. The EU was initially set up to integrate the economies of the member states so that there was an almost impossible likelihood of a further war occurring. Former French foreign minister Robert Schuman, for example, realised that peace and unity after the tragic WW2 was the key to progress. The foreign minister invited Germany to join France in pooling for coal, and other sources of energy so that war between the countries was ‘materially impossible’.
Since its initiation the EU has delivered a half century of peace between the member states, as well as providing stability and encouraging prosperity. The latter was achieved by the formation of a single market between the member states, which involved the free movement of people, goods, and services within the European Union. This increased the foreign direct investment between member states, which benefited Spain for both economical and political reasons. The United Kingdom created quotas which encouraged the importation of cars from Spain, whilst reducing the exportation of cars and parts from the UK. This encouraged productivity and employment in Spain. However, this is also thought to be a factor that prevented Spain from becoming a communist country during the period of soviet Russia. Therefore, the single market created by the EU, can be said to have protected the economy of Spain by preventing communism and encouraging productivity.
The EU has had positive social impacts too. The monetary union means that all countries but Denmark and the United Kingdom will be required to have the Euro as their currency. The creation of a single currency reduces the need for money exchange for travellers. This is an incentive for employment migrants, as well as European tourists. The single currency will allow skilled workers to migrate to countries in which there will be very little language barriers to seek work. The money generated by the new workers will often be placed into the host economy or the citizen’s home economy. Either way, both economies are part of the European Union. Similarly, the development of infrastructure such as the Trans-European Networks (TEN) enables services such the Eurostar to operate, which allows the easy movement of citizens between the EU member states. The main effect of this is increased migration, which can be witnessed by the large influx of ‘Poles’ (Polish people) over the last half decade, with most seeking manual labour work. The increased work force in the United Kingdom has had both positive and negative effects for the current British population. The increased prevalence of skilled Polish workers means that unemployment levels in boroughs like Hackney has increased significantly. However, whilst this has prevented many youths from obtaining jobs, it has also reduced cultural tension, by providing culturally diverse services, and insight into different traditions to the population.
An aspect which is rarely mentioned is the EU’s influence on health of populations in member states. As mentioned previously, the ‘single market’ which has been introduced also allows the free movement of citizens to seek education. Similarly, in many cases Doctors are able to practice in other EU countries, providing they go through an additional process. Europe is therefore known to have one of the highest doctors per patient ratios in the world.
To some extent, this information suggests that the EU is important in regards to health. This is true, but I also believe that TNCs play a larger role - especially in countries in Europe. GlaxosmithKline, a pharmaceutical TNC, has its headquarters in West London. Anti-retroviral drugs are one of the major research points for the corporation, to combat HIV/AIDS, which is most prevalent in Africa, but is also high in countries like Russia, where intravenous use of drugs is affecting a great portion of the working age males. The quaternary economic sector of the UK means that Glaxosmithkline is able to carry out research, and provide these drugs to the patients in Russia to sustain their life.
This has led me to think that TNCs generally have a more important role than the EU (for example), when it comes to health. Although, some may argue that the ‘single market’ created by the EU has allowed TNCs to operate on a global scale (in this case, between member states)

Please bear in mind, I am not very good at writing Essays. I was trying to think about what my teacher usually tells me to do better in my previous essays. I really need to improve my technique, because I want to do well in the exam.

I've decided that every two weeks I will practice and essay - one for human, one for physical - alternating.
Reply 50
I am an A-level student doing my second year. I am doing Geography, Re and English lit-lang but though it would be really good to join a forum so we can help eachother with Geography. My topics for this year are Weather and Climate, Plate Tectonics, Conflict. We are literally now starting PT so don't really know much accept from GCSE
Reply 51
Original post by clareramos
you only have to do 3 topics. schools that do 4 aren't helping students, even though they think they are.

I used to teach A2 and still have lots of dealings with 4A. If anyone needs any help let me know.

Might have to ask you a few questions then if thats alright? :colondollar:

Did you used to do Conflicts as my teacher cant tell us how recent the case studies need to be? Also which is better weather or ecosystems??

Thank you :smile:
I'm a Geographer - my options this year are Tectonics, Weather and Climate and Conflicts. Both of my Geography teachers write textbooks and e-books for AQA so if anyone needs any help then let me know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ellsxo
Does anyone know how much you should typically write for the 40 mark essay?

About 3 sides
Reply 54
Plate Tectonics, Globalisation and Conflict are the topics I am doing.

Got a mid B in my AS year but retaking the GEOG2 (Skills paper) as I got 39/60
Original post by daisystones
I'm a Geographer - my options this year are Tectonics, Weather and Climate and Conflicts. Both of my Geography teachers write textbooks and e-books for AQA so if anyone needs any help then let me know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow thats great, sent a pm :smile:
Reply 56
Hi! I'm not really sure if this thread is still being posted to, but I was wondering how everybody is revising for the big Unit 3? Also, is anyone doing Unit 4b? (Morpeth floods)
Original post by nks_96
Hi! I'm not really sure if this thread is still being posted to, but I was wondering how everybody is revising for the big Unit 3? Also, is anyone doing Unit 4b? (Morpeth floods)

Hi,

GEOG3 revision for me just involves past papers and mark schemes! As for Unit 4b I haven't really started, do you want to go over notes and ideas on here? Hopefully other geographers will join in too!
Reply 58
Original post by TheStudent18
Hi,

GEOG3 revision for me just involves past papers and mark schemes! As for Unit 4b I haven't really started, do you want to go over notes and ideas on here? Hopefully other geographers will join in too!

Yeah same, I learn more from doing questions over and over. Sure, which topics are you doing? Im doing climate, tectonics, globalisation and world cities.:smile:
Original post by nks_96
Yeah same, I learn more from doing questions over and over. Sure, which topics are you doing? Im doing climate, tectonics, globalisation and world cities.:smile:

I'm doing plate tectonics, weather, ecosystems (vaguely) and world cities. I am also self-teaching conflicts!

I think that 4b is going to be relatively tough! What sort of questions do you think are going to be coming up regarding the flooding? Also do you have any sort of ideas for the impact of the flooding? I've tried going through the preliminary material, but some information seems to be irrelevant?

Memorising the case studies for GEOG3 is also going to be tough! What case studies have you learnt for world cities as I am confident with plate tectonics and weather case studies, but not world cities nor conflict! Haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending