The Student Room Group

Is this a family circumstance?

Umm, so basically last year, my step father would often hit my mother and insult her all the time... they often got into arguments and I would often have to listen to everything, we would often try avoid him when he was at home and later on in the year he went to jail for a crime he committed.

Is this considered a family circumstance because I did not perform as well as I could on my GCSE's and got mostly C's and D's. I often stressed about this and had no motivation towards school as I felt sorry for my mother.

I was wondering this because I am applying to a a competitive sixth form next year and due to my grades last year, I am predicted all B's. All of this has resolved now and I will get 6-7 A* this year (I was predicted all A's last year and an A* in Maths), but I feel that due to the fact of my bad performance last year... I won't be given a chance and will be rejected instantaneously. Also, should I write a letter to the sixth form?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
no, but see a psychiatrist if you want

edit: also gcses are piss easy, there are people from harder backgrounds that manage to do well in their gcses. don't use it as an excuse
Seeing as you took it last year, I doubt it.
Reply 4
Original post by smd4std
no, but see a psychiatrist if you want

edit: also gcses are piss easy, there are people from harder backgrounds that manage to do well in their gcses. don't use it as an excuse

Well it's not whether I found the GCSE's easy or not, I just wasn't motivated towards school at any type of way and I couldn't work because I was stressing as this was on my mind most the time. I am much better now though, but as you know; I was wondering if the sixth form would accept this reason on why I done poorly on my Year 10 GCSE's.
Reply 5
Original post by FxckStudy
Well it's not whether I found the GCSE's easy or not, I just wasn't motivated towards school at any type of way and I couldn't work because I was stressing as this was on my mind most the time. I am much better now though, but as you know; I was wondering if the sixth form would accept this reason on why I done poorly on my Year 10 GCSE's.

they wouldn't care about the reason. nor is it relevant

i personally wouldn't tell the sixthform
Reply 6
Original post by smd4std
they wouldn't care about the reason. nor is it relevant

i personally wouldn't tell the sixthform

Well, if I don't tell the sixth form... they will deny me straight up. It's not the case that I'm a bad student, because I WILL achieve the grades in the end of this year, but when they see my application - why would they give a chance to somebody who got C/D grades throughout Year 10?

Although partial of the fault I am hold responsible for, this is an excuse that held me back from achieving the highest possible grades I should have.

So you think I still shouldn't write a letter to the sixth form?
Reply 7
Original post by FxckStudy
Well, if I don't tell the sixth form... they will deny me straight up. It's not the case that I'm a bad student, because I WILL achieve the grades in the end of this year, but when they see my application - why would they give a chance to somebody who got C/D grades throughout Year 10?

Although partial of the fault I am hold responsible for, this is an excuse that held me back from achieving the highest possible grades I should have.

So you think I still shouldn't write a letter to the sixth form?

they'll deny your application anyway

Quick Reply

Latest