The Student Room Group

Completely fed up

I recently completed my A levels (A*A*A*A) and i am currently taking a gap year to study an additional A level with the aim of pursuing engineering next year. Alongside this, I'm about to start a part-time retail job. Unfortunately, my household situation is challenging due to my mums terminal cancer diagnosis in late 2022, my dad's unemployment due to mental health issues, and my brother's struggles with mental health.

Despite not facing significant mental health issues myself (partly because I’m probably slightly autistic), the stress at home is overwhelming, especially with constant arguing and tension. I'm eager to leave for university, as my mom's pain and the household dynamics add to the strain. My dad, dealing with mental health issues, criticizes my efforts even though I balance work experience, studies, and socializing. The constant stress and criticism make me feel less productive than I want to be, and I'm seeking advice on managing this situation. Anyone got anything?

Additionally, I wonder if universities like Imperial or Bath provide any extra considerations or adjustments in the application process for applicants in challenging family situations, such as mine. I'm curious if there are any possibilities for lower grade requirements given the circumstances.

Thank you all.
Reply 1
Anyone?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I recently completed my A levels (A*A*A*A) and i am currently taking a gap year to study an additional A level with the aim of pursuing engineering next year. Alongside this, I'm about to start a part-time retail job. Unfortunately, my household situation is challenging due to my mums terminal cancer diagnosis in late 2022, my dad's unemployment due to mental health issues, and my brother's struggles with mental health.

Despite not facing significant mental health issues myself (partly because I’m probably slightly autistic), the stress at home is overwhelming, especially with constant arguing and tension. I'm eager to leave for university, as my mom's pain and the household dynamics add to the strain. My dad, dealing with mental health issues, criticizes my efforts even though I balance work experience, studies, and socializing. The constant stress and criticism make me feel less productive than I want to be, and I'm seeking advice on managing this situation. Anyone got anything?

Additionally, I wonder if universities like Imperial or Bath provide any extra considerations or adjustments in the application process for applicants in challenging family situations, such as mine. I'm curious if there are any possibilities for lower grade requirements given the circumstances.

Thank you all.

What an incredibly tough situation and set of complex and full circumstances you are handling. It is no wonder you feel overwhelmed sometimes, and your parents if/when they are able to be rational will I am sure appreciate that.

Do you have family or friends who you can turn to for help. It sounds like sharing the load with people who know the ins and outs, and could perhaps talk to some of your family, would be a great start.

I'm not sure you will need to worry about your grades. Looks like you will be just fine! (Well done you!). Do give the unis a admissions teams a call though if you do need to. They are generally very friendly and approachable.

Good luck with it all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending