The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Should my Postgraduate Diploma final mark be a Distinction?

I recently just graduated with a Postgraduate Diploma. But it says it is a Merit...

Doing the weighted calculations, it appears I am on 69.54%, which in my eyes, would round up to 70%. And therefore, a Distinction.

I had significant difficulties during my time studying due to my younger sister's mental health deteriorating and so having to look after her and my family. I then had to enter into full-time employment to keep a roof over my head and support myself and my family, for which now, I may lose my job (due to the company being taken over and redundancies being made)... So a lot has been happening...

Do you think my mark should be a Distinction? Or would it be rounded down? I don't know whether all these personal things should have been taken into account when finally grading my Diploma, as I worked very hard, despite the circumstances...
Original post by l938383aa
I recently just graduated with a Postgraduate Diploma. But it says it is a Merit...

Doing the weighted calculations, it appears I am on 69.54%, which in my eyes, would round up to 70%. And therefore, a Distinction.

I had significant difficulties during my time studying due to my younger sister's mental health deteriorating and so having to look after her and my family. I then had to enter into full-time employment to keep a roof over my head and support myself and my family, for which now, I may lose my job (due to the company being taken over and redundancies being made)... So a lot has been happening...

Do you think my mark should be a Distinction? Or would it be rounded down? I don't know whether all these personal things should have been taken into account when finally grading my Diploma, as I worked very hard, despite the circumstances...

The raw mark as is puts it below the normal distinction threshold of 70. How that is then managed, e.g. any rounding or requirements for a set number of courses to be a clear distinction should be set out in your course handbook. Re any mitigating circumstances, it's rare for those to be considered retrospectively, unis want to know and see evidence of problems before or immediately after an exam.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending