The Student Room Group

Questionning about english.

Hey! :biggrin:

I don't know if I've posted in the right section but since english is a foreign language to me.. I guess posting it there will help me to get a better explaination than any french forums.

Could anyone explain me what is the difference between using either or whether? Examples please.

Thanks for reading.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Either tends to be a choice, whereas whether is used with a hypothetical situation. e.g. You can go either to the park or the zoo. I want to go the park whether it is raining or not.
Original post by Mouchetic
Hey! :biggrin:

I don't know if I've posted in the right section but since english is a foreign language to me.. I guess posting it there will help me to get a better explaination than any french forums.

Could anyone explain me what is the difference between using either or whether? Examples please.

Thanks for reading.

Either: soit...ou / soit
As the previous poster said, it gives a choice:
Eg: With nouns: You can have either tea or coffee.
Eg: With verbs: Either you take this medicine, or you go to hospital.

Whether: que...ou
Again, as the previous poster said, this involves a hypothetical situation.
Eg: I'll do it whether I'm allowed to or not.

Whether can also be used as a synonym for "if":
Eg: I don't know whether it's true or not.
Reply 3
Original post by Batthews
Either tends to be a choice, whereas whether is used with a hypothetical situation. e.g. You can go either to the park or the zoo. I want to go the park whether it is raining or not.

Original post by Anna Schoon
Either: soit...ou / soit
As the previous poster said, it gives a choice:
Eg: With nouns: You can have either tea or coffee.
Eg: With verbs: Either you take this medicine, or you go to hospital.

Whether: que...ou
Again, as the previous poster said, this involves a hypothetical situation.
Eg: I'll do it whether I'm allowed to or not.

Whether can also be used as a synonym for "if":
Eg: I don't know whether it's true or not.

Thank you two. Both answer was useful! :smile:

Also. In what case would I rather use That's how? or That's why?
"That's how" prefaces or follows an explanation on the way you did something. For example, "I used 200ml of vanilla essence instead of 2ml to make the cake. That's how I ruined it".

"That's why" prefaces or follows an explanation on the reason you did something. "The cake was disgusting. That's why I didn't eat it".
Reply 5
Original post by Octopus_Garden
"That's how" prefaces or follows an explanation on the way you did something. For example, "I used 200ml of vanilla essence instead of 2ml to make the cake. That's how I ruined it".

"That's why" prefaces or follows an explanation on the reason you did something. "The cake was disgusting. That's why I didn't eat it".

Thank you a lot Octopus! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending