The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
Good shout there. Cheated their way to the FA Cup with a squad they couldn't afford, ****ed over plenty of local businesses and even St John's ambulance in the CVA and then proceeded to go buy another load of expensive players they couldn't afford. Despicable club, would never wish any club to go bust but they can rot in the lower leagues.

Fans always came across as real scum as well.
Original post by The Assassin
Hate? Not sure but Spuds, Liverpool and Leeds (still want to see them back in the PL though -- just so we can thrash them and send em back down again :biggrin:).

Don't dislike Tottenham that much compared to the other two though.

Add QPR to this list too. edit not working...
Reply 122
[video="youtube;YW24N1G0WIk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW24N1G0WIk[/video]
Original post by Dp12081994
Jelous of a club that don't even celebrate winning certain games because there that arrogant? Worst home atmosphere in the league, no respect and a bunch of bullies at the end of the day which also goes for slurgie! United fans know nothing of loyalty or true support it was just an easy choice for them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone is jealous because we're (speaking on behalf of Manchester United) the greatest club in the UK and one of the greatest in the world. We are the most popular and the most successful domestically. We don't have to pay the agents big money and we beat teams that spend 3x as much as us year after year (Chelsea, City, Liverpool and Spurs all outspend us). We develop young English talent, and talent from overseas. We don't just buy the finished product (excluding RVP, who we actually made better) we transform kids into the finished product.

Edit: All support for the top 6 is pretty dire. City can't even fill their stadium, Chelsea fans want the manager sacked every second, Spurs fans are pathetic, Arsenal fans boo their players off the pitch and call for one of the greatest managers to be sacked just because they can't win silverware. Liverpool home fans are probably the best of the lot, but even they fail in comparison to Everton fans.

People only dislike Manchester United because we win time and time again.

'Not arrogant, just better' springs to mind.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sagacious
excluding RVP, who we actually made better.
What is that based on? He scored 7 more goals and got one more assist in the same number of games in a worse team in his last season at Arsenal than he did last season.

Also 'not arrogant just better' is said by losers who nothing in their life other than the reflected glory of a football team.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boner in joggers
Would you dislike Arsenal even if you weren't a Spurs fan? I don't think there's too much objectionable about Arsenal to the neutral. Chelsea on the other hand...

I'm generally oblivious to what the neutral thinks about Arsenal, because my vision has always been skewed. It's the same for all football clubs whose rivals aren't actually that bad an outfit. It's the snide comments, both online and in the pub when a half-cut acquaintance discovers you're a fan of the rivals and decides he'll have a wee go. I've been brought up to feel only antipathy towards Arsenal and as such feel that the 'what if' questions are futile, because there's no what if.

I tend to think that a neutral shouldn't really mind us, as we're just a club on an attempted rise after a decade and a half of mid table obscurity. But I don't expect an Arsenal fan to see that truth for what it is.
Original post by pane123
[video="youtube;YW24N1G0WIk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW24N1G0WIk[/video]

Lots of Celtic fans have family in Northern Ireland, where the British army has pretty much disgraced itself for generations including massacres and cover ups. I really dont understand why people expect much respect from Celtic fans in this instance, I doubt I would have much respect for the army in their position.

Also I think people seem to think that this implies hatred or disrespect towards the individual soldiers of the army, which is ludicrous since tens of thousands of Irish soldiers died in the army in WW1 and before. Celtic fans just dont have much respect for the institution given its track record.
Reply 127
Original post by Zürich
Lots of Celtic fans have family in Northern Ireland, where the British army has pretty much disgraced itself for generations including massacres and cover ups. I really dont understand why people expect much respect from Celtic fans in this instance, I doubt I would have much respect for the army in their position.

Also I think people seem to think that this implies hatred or disrespect towards the individual soldiers of the army, which is ludicrous since tens of thousands of Irish soldiers died in the army in WW1 and before. Celtic fans just dont have much respect for the institution given its track record.

Oh, it's 'near PhD' boy.

[video="youtube;BzHSr2-QFlo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzHSr2-QFlo&noredirect=1[/video]

Celtic fans hate all things British. There aren't many places where you can find 60,000 people singing about how much they hate the country in which they live every two weeks.
Original post by pane123
Oh, it's 'near PhD' boy.

[video="youtube;BzHSr2-QFlo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzHSr2-QFlo&noredirect=1[/video]

Celtic fans hate all things British. There aren't many places where you can find 60,000 people singing about how much they hate the country in which they live every two weeks.

It is possible to separate the activities of the British army from Britain you know. For example I can read about that British soldier who summarily executed some guy in Afghanistan recently and lose respect for the army but not for the country. I very much doubt that Celtic fans hate Britain or British people, especially since I've met a fair number none of whom gave that impression.

What you are absolutely refusing to contemplate, is that maybe the disrespect felt towards the army is a direct consequence of the actions of the army. You know, like shooting people on the street in Derry and the army top brass covering it all up or aiding and abetting Unionist paramilitary terrorism. Generally people tend not to forget these kind of things. Does this mean Celtic fans are trying to attack dead soldiers from 1914? Does this mean Celtic fans have a hatred for English people going about their lifes? Of course not, but this is what you are trying to tar them with.

Having said that I know there are a subsection who openly support the IRA etc but I have never heard of any large scale chanting in this vein.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 129
Original post by pane123
Celtic. I dislike other teams, but nothing comes close to my hatred of Celtic.

Other I don't like are Man Utd, Liverpool, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Real Madrid.

Hmm, let me guess... The Rangers fan? :tongue:
Original post by Mechie

No doubt he's a Rangers fan.

Even with Rangers ultra-British tip, their fans have a much worse reputation in London, and I believe abroad, than Celtic's. I know which group are most likely to have a drink with you in the pub before the game, and which group are more likely to smash the pub up. :rolleyes:
Reply 131
Original post by Zürich
What you are absolutely refusing to contemplate, is that maybe the disrespect felt towards the army is a direct consequence of the actions of the army. You know, like shooting people on the street in Derry and the army top brass covering it all up or aiding and abetting Unionist paramilitary terrorism. Generally people tend not to forget these kind of things. Does this mean Celtic fans are trying to attack dead soldiers from 1914? Of course not, but this is what you are trying to tar them with.

Dry up. Might you be willing to concede that I probably know a bit more than this, given that I come from Glasgow?

You have drawn some rather dramatic conclusions from two posts.

Almost no Celtic fans would be willing to class themselves as British and I will be very surprised if the majority of votes for independence come from those of a Celtic persuasion.

Regardless of what the British Army has done in Northern Ireland, singing songs of support for a terrorist organisation is vile.
Reply 132
Original post by Mechie

Original post by Zürich

Even with Rangers ultra-British tip, their fans have a much worse reputation in London, and I believe abroad, than Celtic's. I know which group are most likely to have a drink with you in the pub before the game, and which group are more likely to smash the pub up. :rolleyes:

I will answer questions posed to me.

No, I am not a Rangers fan. I support Arsenal.

I used to support Rangers, and I am by no means an apologist, but I just grew sick of it all. I still prefer them to any other Scottish team.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 133
Original post by Zürich

You're right there. I hate The Rangers and Celtic, but it just seems that The Rangers, and especially their fans, seem to be a lot more disagreeable. There's a lot of things I could say against them both, but The Rangers just seem to have this extra aura of vileness surrounding them.

Spoiler

Reply 134
Original post by Mechie
You have to remember that Rangers cease to exist after going out of business in 2012. It's The Rangers that exist as their tribute act now.

That's simply incorrect and is normally only said by exceptionally thick Celtic fans, of which, I will concede, there are many.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 135
Northampton and MK (rather recent rivalry). Cambridge like to think we have a rivalry but they're just a part-time team :wink:
Reply 136
Original post by pane123
That's simply incorrect and is normally only said by exceptionally thick Celtic fans, of which, I will concede, there are many.

This isn't a Celtic v Rangers/The Rangers thing. This is a fact about Rangers/The Rangers. The club which exists now is in it's second year of operation, with only one 4th tier title to it's name.
Reply 137
Original post by Mechie
This isn't a Celtic v Rangers/The Rangers thing. This is a fact about Rangers/The Rangers. The club which exists now is in it's second year of operation, with only one 4th tier title to it's name.

The company which now exists is in its 2nd year of operation. The club has existed since 1872. There is absolutely no debate about this.
Original post by pane123
Dry up. Might you be willing to concede that I probably know a bit more than this, given that I come from Glasgow?

You have drawn some rather dramatic conclusions from two posts.

Almost no Celtic fans would be willing to class themselves as British and I will be very surprised if the majority of votes for independence come from those of a Celtic persuasion.

Regardless of what the British Army has done in Northern Ireland, singing songs of support for a terrorist organisation is vile.

WelI you come from Glasgow and are a Rangers fan, which is like asking an Israeli for an objective account of the Palestinians. I have no reason to be either pro/anti Celtic, and am actually pretty right wing instinctively, and yet I can appreciate why Celtic fans might not feel ecstatic about the army.

I would guess that most Celtic fans would vote yes but many Scots of all background will be doing the same. Dont think Alex Salmond is a Celtic fan?

I agree that singing songs in support of the IRA is vile, but Ive never seen any proof that anywhere near a majority do this at Celtic.

On the other hand, the British army actively armed and covertly supported Unionist terrorism in NI that led to the murder of the kind of people, catholics, who attend Celtic Park every week. Why would anyone be surprised that the army as an institution gets no respect there?
Original post by Zürich
It is possible to separate the activities of the British army from Britain you know. For example I can read about that British soldier who summarily executed some guy in Afghanistan recently and lose respect for the army but not for the country. I very much doubt that Celtic fans hate Britain or British people, especially since I've met a fair number none of whom gave that impression.

What you are absolutely refusing to contemplate, is that maybe the disrespect felt towards the army is a direct consequence of the actions of the army. You know, like shooting people on the street in Derry and the army top brass covering it all up or aiding and abetting Unionist paramilitary terrorism. Generally people tend not to forget these kind of things. Does this mean Celtic fans are trying to attack dead soldiers from 1914? Does this mean Celtic fans have a hatred for English people going about their lifes? Of course not, but this is what you are trying to tar them with.

Having said that I know there are a subsection who openly support the IRA etc but I have never heard of any large scale chanting in this vein.

Nah, there's absolutley nothing you can say that justifies this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRgErZEAjMo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82MXTJrJtTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzHSr2-QFlo

Latest