The Student Room Group

UoC college football [not 1st team] - what's the standard like?

Obviously not the most important topic ever in considering a university but I wondered if anyone can say roughly what the standard of a division like this might be [second bottom], mostly colleges' 2nd and 3rd teams... e.g. roughly on a par with a good level of school football? [quite] a bit better or worse? Grateful for any advice, thanks.

https://fulltime.thefa.com/index.html?selectedSeason=158442458&selectedFixtureGroupAgeGroup=0&selectedDivision=439118744&selectedCompetition=0
Original post by twinklehorn
Obviously not the most important topic ever in considering a university but I wondered if anyone can say roughly what the standard of a division like this might be [second bottom], mostly colleges' 2nd and 3rd teams... e.g. roughly on a par with a good level of school football? [quite] a bit better or worse? Grateful for any advice, thanks.

https://fulltime.thefa.com/index.html?selectedSeason=158442458&selectedFixtureGroupAgeGroup=0&selectedDivision=439118744&selectedCompetition=0

Most times 11 people will turn up. Sometimes they wont all be hung over. They are all keen (ish) but they are there for fun, not serious football - at least, that's how it usually works.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Most times 11 people will turn up. Sometimes they wont all be hung over. They are all keen (ish) but they are there for fun, not serious football - at least, that's how it usually works.

Thanks, that's very much the sort of advice I was looking for. I've got a vague idea of what the standard at LSE's university level sixth XI - seventh XI is like [billed as social teams, only play games against similarly lowly ranked London uni teams], I'm guessing that the low end of Cambridge college football might be similar [LSE has 5k undergraduates, from what I can gather most of them overseas students].

Oh - and at this level, what's the deal in terms of pitches [I assume they're grass, playable?], refs [do they have them?], changing facilties [ditto]?

Thanks
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by twinklehorn
Thanks, that's very much the sort of advice I was looking for. I've got a vague idea of what the standard at LSE's university level sixth XI - seventh XI is like [billed as social teams, only play games against similarly lowly ranked London uni teams], I'm guessing that the low end of Cambridge college football might be similar [LSE has 5k undergraduates, from what I can gather most of them overseas students].

Oh - and at this level, what's the deal in terms of pitches [I assume they're grass, playable?], refs [do they have them?], changing facilties [ditto]?

Thanks

All the Colleges have good pitches, some shared with other Colleges. They will be better than average quality, marked out, professional groundsmen - better than the quality of football deserves! (BTW, I'm taking this from the equivalent cricket experience). Most times people turn up already changed, but there will be changing facilities if the team management has booked it. Ref's, no idea on that I'm afraid.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
All the Colleges have good pitches, some shared with other Colleges. They will be better than average quality, marked out, professional groundsmen - better than the quality of football deserves! (BTW, I'm taking this from the equivalent cricket experience). Most times people turn up already changed, but there will be changing facilities if the team management has booked it. Ref's, no idea on that I'm afraid.

Great, thanks. I didn't consider the location but that seems like a really big strength - I can see from the map that the colleges' sports ground are clustered round the western edges of the town centre, i.e. are easily walkable... whereas e.g. the London unis' sports grounds are an hour away on public transport.

Thanks again.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending