The Student Room Group

Things that piss you off about your university

Please, do join me in ranting about stupid things your university does.

Is it just my university, or do all universities like to set up online multiple choice quizzes to count as part of your final grade, and then not give the right answer as one of the multiple choices?! I'm actually getting so hacked off with it, it's only one of my modules it happens in, but it's infuriating. How are we expected to do well if none of the options are correct?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They didn't tell us everything when it would have been ideal to know;

We're only allowed to do a maximum of 120 credit modules for coursework and they didn't tell us this before choosing other modules for first year so now you may have used a coursework module in your first year (that doesn't count) when you wanted to do other coursework modules. :angry:
Reply 2
9 o'clock starts, I don't mind anything else. Well maybe 10 starts to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kumori
9 o'clock starts, I don't mind anything else. Well maybe 10 starts toPosted from TSR Mobile

8 o'clock start on Mondays. :bricks:

Spoiler

everything feels so far away
SOME of the PEOPLE!
Early mornings.
When a lecturer says "You don't need to know this". *comes up in exam*
:mob:
When news emails always seem to get sent late. If there's a careers fair at 1pm I'll get the message at 1pm when I have other obligations due to lack of warning.

Say, "you'll definitely need this book", make you pay a ridiculous amount for it, then never refer to it once again.

The student union has the slowest response time and puts up barriers to every event a society tries to get up. We have to think a month ahead to borrow a damn gazebo.
The latest one would be banning dead lifting and having no squat rack in the gym.

However, I don't think anyone is going to stop you if did dead lift.
Reply 8
Original post by Ladyliesel
When news emails always seem to get sent late. If there's a careers fair at 1pm I'll get the message at 1pm when I have other obligations due to lack of warning.

Say, "you'll definitely need this book", make you pay a ridiculous amount for it, then never refer to it once again.

The student union has the slowest response time and puts up barriers to every event a society tries to get up. We have to think a month ahead to borrow a damn gazebo.

Oh my god, yes, this too. Or another cracker my uni likes to do is to make sure that any careers fair, networking event, information event in a particular field is right at the same time as the lectures in that subject. Genius planning right there.
Original post by DorianGrayism
The latest one would be banning dead lifting and having no squat rack in the gym.

why did they ban deadlifting
It's just too damned awesome :sadnod:
Reply 11
Not really the unis fault but they've recently combined campuses so everyone has to go outside the city centre for lectures and there's not enough buses so everyone squeezes into the few there are and you always have to stand, and because of the traffic at that time in the morning it can take nearly an hour to get there :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
All the useless things they make you do to ensure you are 'well rounded' and just add unnecessarily to your workload and don't even count towards your grade-as part of our dissertation module, we also have to go to 4 seminars and write abstracts for them (on top of the lab work and 6000 word report, and presentation,..) but they don't count for grades at all.

We also have the most useless module ever this year called Biology in Society; it could be good if it was thought out better, but the way it's covered and the teaching just makes it absolutely pointless. They've had so many complaints about it every single year they've run it. Turns out they only keep it because it's the head of teaching's project; they're not surprisingly getting rid it of it when he retires next year.
Reply 13
Long-ass 100 page+ readings
Moodle. And Blackboard before it.
This term's 14 weeks long with no reading week.

Knackered.
Original post by DorianGrayism

Please don't insult the concept of a gym by calling anywhere which bans deadlifting and doesn't have a squat rack a gym. We call them health and wellness centres.
University of Sussex.

Reply 18
Sports socials on a night out, shouting at you to down your drink or else they'll chant "**** lad!".
Out of touch and dated SU politics is the main one problem really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending