The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fungii
Wasn't same sex sexual activity illegal in the UK only around 50 years ago?

Posted from TSR Mobile

And now it isn't. What does that tell you?
Original post by thunder_chunky
And now it isn't. What does that tell you?

Could you actually summarise WHY you don't want to learn Arabic? Because at the moment all I see are irrelevant debates with Mudaari on religion, as per.
Reply 102
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Could you actually summarise WHY you don't want to learn Arabic? Because at the moment all I see are irrelevant debates with Mudaari on religion, as per.

Don't be ridiculous. He couldn't learn Arabic if his life depended on it. The only other language he knows is txt spk. Research suggests being multilingual delays the onset of dementia - seems his brain is turning to mush already. :rolleyes:
Reply 103
A thread about a language has turned into a thread about culture and religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Inzamam99
Darius = the man who fought Leonidas yes?

Anyway I'am trying to learn French and Farsi at the moment but can't find appropriate material to take me up to fluency in Farsi. The Pimsleur course has got me talking some basic conversational phrases but not much else... recommendations?

Almost, Xerxes the son of Darius I fought Leonidas. Darius I carried out the first invasion of Greece and Xerxes the second where he defeated Leonidas. Leonidas did fight in the first invasion of Greece under Darius but his main claim to fame is obviously the Battle of Themropylae - inaccurately portrayed in 300. Erm, well Persian is my native tongue so I learnt it naturally - I'm not sure the best way to learn it is. I mean the best way would be to get a Persian tutor (obviously expensive) - wither online or in person - or enrol in local Persian class (if you live in London etc then that's not a problem) in my opinion. Language learning on your own back is tough - I learnt Spanish at school and in University + a year in Argentina - I'm trying to learn Arabic and it's hard to self motivate yourself (and Arabic has a lot more resources than Persian).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nosaer
Don't be ridiculous. He couldn't learn Arabic if his life depended on it. The only other language he knows is txt spk. Research suggests being multilingual delays the onset of dementia - seems his brain is turning to mush already. :rolleyes:

He won't reply, none of them have, it's amusing but also makes me want to run into a wall. :colonhash:
Original post by nomadinthecity92
The British are lazy when it comes to learning foreign languages.

This is true. I'm learning Spanish ftr.
**** off.
No; it's a horrible language and a waste of time.
This is ridiculous! The UK is in Europe; Europe is the UK's largest trading partner, therefore its important for British people to speak European languges such as German, Spanish and French. If any language has to be spoken other than a European language, then it should either be Chinese or Russian.
I've said this a fair few times before, but using 'usefulness' as the deciding factor in a decision over choosing languages to learn is pointless. Use it as a contributory factor, by all means - but you cannot, I repeat cannot, become fluent in a language you have no cultural interest in because you think it'll be useful.

I'm fluent in Spanish. The reason I started learning Spanish was rather infantile - I went on holiday to Menorca during my childhood years and wanted to understand the people the written language. The fact that a large amount of people in the Americas speak it was a bonus. Let's face it, if you don't intend to live abroad, there's no point in learning a foreign language purely because it might get you a leg up.

If your eyes twinkle at the thought of living in Paris, reading Gide, slurping red wine and stewing boeuf bourgignon, then learn French. If Kafka, pork and good cold lager is more your thing, learn German. If you're interested in Iceland, learn Icelandic. If you're directed towards Chinese despite having no intention of going there, then rebuff the request.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple

Just to clarify, my answer said "no thanks" simply because I'm not really interested in learning the language at this time. What my other responses have been about is something slightly different and isn't me saying that I wouldn't learn it for that reason.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nosaer

Are you talking about me? If so you're wrong.
Original post by rockrunride
I've said this a fair few times before, but using 'usefulness' as the deciding factor in a decision over choosing languages to learn is pointless. Use it as a contributory factor, by all means - but you cannot, I repeat cannot, become fluent in a language you have no cultural interest in because you think it'll be useful.

I'm fluent in Spanish. The reason I started learning Spanish was rather infantile - I went on holiday to Menorca during my childhood years and wanted to understand the people the written language. The fact that a large amount of people in the Americas speak it was a bonus. Let's face it, if you don't intend to live abroad, there's no point in learning a foreign language purely because it might get you a leg up.

If your eyes twinkle at the thought of living in Paris, reading Gide, slurping red wine and stewing boeuf bourgignon, then learn French. If Kafka, pork and good cold lager is more your thing, learn German. If you're interested in Iceland, learn Icelandic. If you're directed towards Chinese despite having no intention of going there, then rebuff the request.

I agree with what you're saying, but conversely I don't think learning a language as difficult as Icelandic is worth it if you're interested in the country alone, unless you mean, actually spending a portion of your life living there. With Mandarin and even Arabic, there also benefits other than learning for your own interest. I guess you can't choose where your interests lie though. Unless I'm overestimating the complexity of Icelandic, which may be the case, since I've never looked into it in much depth.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Just to clarify, my answer said "no thanks" simply because I'm not really interested in learning the language at this time. What my other responses have been about is something slightly different and isn't me stating I wouldn't learn it for that reason.

Fair enough, you really should know better than to reply to Al-Mudaari, or any of that lot.
Pathetic.
Reply 116
Usefullness aside (which I think is quite subjective and depends largely on the person), unfortunately it's quite a difficult language, with a difficult script (no short vowels), and pronouncing ع gives me a sore throat.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think it's a fair point, however Spanish is easier to learn and more prevalent, and German has strong roots in English.
The problem is we don't start foreign language education early enough, or as effectively as we should. There's almost no point starting at 11 as it's not going to stick when it's taught for an hour a week.
Reply 118
Original post by Savvy Sage
Ahh but do Chinese investors speak English? English is THE language to speak and I don't think that will ever change.

Yeah, they do. You underestimate Chinese investors.
The only arabic i know is Haramzada and Mehmurr Kutier..

Latest

Trending

Trending