The Student Room Group

DECILES

Hey guys,
I just wanted to know if anyone knows how much 1st and 2nd year counts. I am currently in 3rd year and I got my results back and I'm in the 10th and very last decile. Just wanted to know if it is possible for me to reach the 5th decile at the very least by fifth year or is it very unlikely?
Many thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarahjay2013
Hey guys,
I just wanted to know if anyone knows how much 1st and 2nd year counts. I am currently in 3rd year and I got my results back and I'm in the 10th and very last decile. Just wanted to know if it is possible for me to reach the 5th decile at the very least by fifth year or is it very unlikely?
Many thanks

Depends how your medical school calculates it. E-mail them and ask how they weight the different years. The first 2 years usually don't count for a lot though.
Depends.

Our years are weighted:

1st - 10%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 30%
4th - 30%

Because we don't have the clinical/pre-clinical divide.

If your course isn't integrated the 2nd year is likely to mean less than it does here.
My med school calculates them like this..... 6 year course London

4th year - 60%
5th year - 40%

Final - separate - pass/fail

Hope that helps! But your medical school might well calculate it very differently!
Reply 4
Ours are

Year 1&2 - 33%
Year 3 - 33%
Year 4 - 33%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Think at Manchester it's just 3rd-5th year that influences it, no clue about what each year's weightings are though.
Reply 6
Original post by Normandy114
Think at Manchester it's just 3rd-5th year that influences it, no clue about what each year's weightings are though.

5th year can't, as you apply at the start of year 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dont really know how it works. Im at birmingham- so do these decile places affect where u go? So for example can a person in the tenth decile apply for a job in london?
Original post by groovyangel2008
I dont really know how it works. Im at birmingham- so do these decile places affect where u go? So for example can a person in the tenth decile apply for a job in london?

It makes up part of your foundation application, along with your performance at finals and the SJT. You can also gain additional points for having a degree, publications, audits, national prizes etc. This all contributes to how competitive your foundation application is and therefore increases your chances of getting your preferred jobs.
At BL, for deciles its:

1st Year = 25%
2nd Year = 25%
3rd Year = 25%
4th Year = 25%
5th Year = post FPAS so it's a standalone f/p/m/d

I think I prefer it this way where each year is equally weighted - by definition, it's a a more accurate snapshot of someone's ability over the duration of the course. That, and you roughly know where you stand by the end of 3rd year, give or take 1/2 decliles (unless you do exceptionally bad/well in 4th year to alter where you'd roughly be).
Original post by Medicine Man
At BL, for deciles its:

1st Year = 25%
2nd Year = 25%
3rd Year = 25%
4th Year = 25%
5th Year = post FPAS so it's a standalone f/p/m/d

I think I prefer it this way where each year is equally weighted - by definition, it's a a more accurate snapshot of someone's ability over the duration of the course. That, and you roughly know where you stand by the end of 3rd year, give or take 1/2 decliles (unless you do exceptionally bad/well in 4th year to alter where you'd roughly be).

Yes/no. Although it's an equal snapshot across all the years, there is an argument to suggest that you learn less in year 1 compared to year 3. Also it could be said that the clinical years and OSCEs have more value for foundation ranking as they are more relevant to what you will be doing as an FY1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shiggydiggy
It makes up part of your foundation application, along with your performance at finals and the SJT. You can also gain additional points for having a degree, publications, audits, national prizes etc. This all contributes to how competitive your foundation application is and therefore increases your chances of getting your preferred jobs.

Prizes are not included anymore, they removed them as many applicants were confused/unable to meet the criteria.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carcinoma
Prizes are not included anymore, they removed them as many applicants were confused/unable to meet the criteria.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that it recently changed, but I thought it was just restricted to national prizes now?
I know that it recently changed, but I thought it was just restricted to national prizes now?

Prizes have been removed completely as of this cycle - I know as I've applied! Eeeks!

There are now between 34 -43 points depending on your decile.

Extra 7 points for additional academic achievements - degrees (up to 5) and publications/presentations (up to 2)

Publications must have a PubMed ID

Presentations must be a professional conference like AMEE or Royal College Organised - NOT student/peer events.

Hope that helps :smile:

Last year and earlier it was just national prizes. This year it's only publications with PMID or national/international presentations. No prizes as all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blimey - where do audits fit in these days?
Blimey - where do audits fit in these days?

For FPAS they don't count unless they are published or presented at a national or international conference. They do count for speciality applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For FPAS they don't count unless they are published or presented at a national or international conference. They do count for speciality applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good. That makes me less guilty about not bothering with this **** while at medschool.
For us it's:

Year 1: 0%
Year 2: 0%
Year 3: 40%
Year 4: 40%
Year 5: Post FPAS.

The other 20% is an average of our SSC marks over years 3 and 4.
Yes/no. Although it's an equal snapshot across all the years, there is an argument to suggest that you learn less in year 1 compared to year 3. Also it could be said that the clinical years and OSCEs have more value for foundation ranking as they are more relevant to what you will be doing as an FY1.

Yeaaahhh....but...

I do agree that you do learn A LOT more in the clinical years (I certainly have), but if deciles are used to calculate the Educational Performance Measure score, which by definition measures your educational performance in the medical course, then it should do just that and measure how well you have done in all aspects of the course and not just the aspects believed to be more important. Both preclinical and clinical medicine are important parts of our medical education as I know you know, fellow Med Ed enthusiast! :p: In essence, this EPM score should give a snapshot of someone's performance in academia, more specifically, medical academia, and not just clinical medicine just because you arguably learn a lot more in those years. This is why iBSc, past degrees, publications, academic posters etc. are all included in the EPM - they are all academic in nature. It's almost like saying, yes, basic science is great and will gain credit (...if you have done a BSc or been published or presented it at a national conference, but otherwise, this whole preclinical malarkey isn't that great and is only part of the medical course for jokes and should gain no/smaller credit). Not quite like that, but you get my drift. :p:

I do think you have a valid point about the weighting of the different years though, but if they really wanted schools to focus on the clinical years, they should call it a Clinical Performance Measure (or words to that effect). At least, every medical school will compare students along the same measure and that would iron out any inconsistencies across schools.

But hey, this is just my humble opinion which I've decided to sit here and type for the last few minutes as opposed to revising. Schools have every right to do things they way they deem best - I guess the BL way just so happens to suit me, not because I have done fantastically well in the preclinical years, but because I sort of know roughly where I stand and how hard I should be working for each year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending