The Student Room Group

Can't decide what to do? Please help

Okay I am at a crossroads on what and where to go, I am 32 male and love animals and I have always wanted to work with them, I have decided that's it's now the time to start my career, I left school with grades U in GCSEs and have no other qualifications.

My goal is to be a veterinary nurse, I have decided to go to college and study a city and guilds level 3 diploma in animal management for 2 years then apply to uni for a foundation degree in veterinary nursing.

As well as getting some grades in English, maths and science.

Is this the best route to go down or is it best to do a access course? Any help will be grateful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
The city and guilds course does sound a good plan. The problem with an access course would be that they don't really relate to working with animals.
You could perhaps do a science-based access course as that would be most relevant for vet-nursing, but definitely check the entry requirements for any degree you want to do.
Also it might be worth doing some voluntary work in an animal shelter or similar.
Good luck whatever you decide!
Defo going for work experience as it does help, it's hard knowing which route to take as I am running out of years lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Theres options to study vet nursing through city and guilds without the animal management I think. It would be a lot more hands on then at university. + They may be able to offer you opportunities to get your qualifications alongside doing this course. Theres options to choose between equine or small animals. take a look : http://www.cityandguilds.com/Courses-and-Qualifications/land-based-services/animal-management/7457-veterinary-nursing
Reply 4
Original post by Rhinorogers2014
Okay I am at a crossroads on what and where to go, I am 32 male and love animals and I have always wanted to work with them, I have decided that's it's now the time to start my career, I left school with grades U in GCSEs and have no other qualifications.

My goal is to be a veterinary nurse, I have decided to go to college and study a city and guilds level 3 diploma in animal management for 2 years then apply to uni for a foundation degree in veterinary nursing.

As well as getting some grades in English, maths and science.

Is this the best route to go down or is it best to do a access course? Any help will be grateful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Two years on a level 3 diploma in animal management sounds a long time to then only get you onto a foundation degree.

I would consider doing an access course in a science (which will get your study skills up to par in 1 year) and will then let you jump straight onto first year of a degree level course. This will then mean you will get the student loan/grant funding etc so you can relax and learn. As 3 years study to get to degree level, (which would be a further 3/4years) is a lot of time... and a lot of money/stress when your opportunities for gaining income would be limited.

Once you had completed the access course an appropriate animal related degree should offer you the opportunity to take up work placements which will then give you the contacts and work experience you need to jump straight into a paid job after completing your degree.
Reply 5
Original post by 26Kathryn
The city and guilds course does sound a good plan. The problem with an access course would be that they don't really relate to working with animals.

The content of the access course is largely irrelevant as its only purpose is a stepping stone to the degree of interest. He could volunteer for 1 day a week somewhere to get some experience of animals if he really wanted to whilst studying the access course. But once he picked his degree, if he chose a good one he should be able to get relevant work experience (and get credits towards his degree) as part of his course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending