The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fizzers
Hi! How about you tell us where you're at so far? Can't really help much when it's so vague...:s-smilie:

Mind if i could have a hint on silver?

I havent used the volume formula before the one with n R T an P in it (sorry cant remember it now aha), but i tried using it at STP by putting the volume given from L to m3 (/1000) then subbed it in, I didnt know what he pressure was meant to be... Unless im finding moles first with 1mol of N2 in 24dm3. /1000 =moles in one m3. x the volume they gave me? Then sub in and convert back to L for the answer...

Clueless really aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fizzers
Hi! How about you tell us where you're at so far? Can't really help much when it's so vague...:s-smilie:

I'm in a similar place to the person below, started it but no really sure which way to head. :eek

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by majmuh24
Carbon and Sulfur... C + S

Its about what's uses to make fireworks, hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, yeah it did. I worked it out later on :biggrin: I got to silver and now i've given up because each questions takes ages to figure out now...
Original post by Nat_LPS
Mind if i could have a hint on silver?

I havent used the volume formula before the one with n R T an P in it (sorry cant remember it now aha), but i tried using it at STP by putting the volume given from L to m3 (/1000) then subbed it in, I didnt know what he pressure was meant to be... Unless im finding moles first with 1mol of N2 in 24dm3. /1000 =moles in one m3. x the volume they gave me? Then sub in and convert back to L for the answer...

Clueless really aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for the late reply! I'm just gonna list the steps out to make it easier to understand kk

Calculate the mass of N2

Convert mass to moles

Estimate volume in standard temp and pressure (-273.15 K and 105 Pa -this is defined by IUPAC)

Since in the STP condition, N2 gas behaves according to the ideal gas law which is pV=nRT, V=n x R x T

Now simply sub the numbers in!

Just be careful with the ideal gas constant R- it should be in L bar/K Mol. You can probably look it up though:cool:

Have fun aha!
Original post by Swag hatter
I'm in a similar place to the person below, started it but no really sure which way to head. :eek

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read my reply to the other user! No point for me posting it twice and spamming everyone heh :tongue:
Original post by fizzers
Sorry for the late reply! I'm just gonna list the steps out to make it easier to understand kk

Calculate the mass of N2

Convert mass to moles

Estimate volume in standard temp and pressure (-273.15 K and 105 Pa -this is defined by IUPAC)

Since in the STP condition, N2 gas behaves according to the ideal gas law which is pV=nRT, V=n x R x T

Now simply sub the numbers in!

Just be careful with the ideal gas constant R- it should be in L bar/K Mol. You can probably look it up though:cool:

Have fun aha!

Ahh thanks a lot! i'll tackle it after a few cups of coffee, half that stuff i dont know what it is haha so im very grateful :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nat_LPS
Ahh thanks a lot! i'll tackle it after a few cups of coffee, half that stuff i dont know what it is haha so im very grateful :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! If you're stuck just pop in another reply to the thread :biggrin:
did anyone else almost self implode before completing silver or is there no hope?
Original post by Nat_LPS
did anyone else almost self implode before completing silver or is there no hope?

No don't give up! You have another 10 days to do it if you want to. Do you need help with anything? Hahaha we've all been there, done that. It sure as heck could be stressful!:s-smilie:
I am stuck on the Rg question!!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone point me in the right direction. I have been awake for 13 hours staring at my screen trying to work it out #holidays.
Reply 1870
Original post by Kkg1
I am stuck on the Rg question!!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone point me in the right direction. I have been awake for 13 hours staring at my screen trying to work it out #holidays.

I did this a while ago so I hope I remembered the right question! So basically you have three columns, right? The values for the first two columns can be found on the periodic table and the third column gives you the nuclear spin number. Once you know that the values should be easy to look up.
anyone ready for tonight?
Original post by pandabb0v0
anyone ready for tonight?

haha sounds like we've planned to attack new challenge at once. We be crashing cambridge's site
Well it has crashed for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got any luck trying to get on the website?
Original post by pandabb0v0
Has anyone got any luck trying to get on the website?

Got the first question but no luck on getting on to Q2. Grr, would have thought they'd sorted this out considering last month's disaster. Oh well.
Original post by Doctor Feelgood
Got the first question but no luck on getting on to Q2. Grr, would have thought they'd sorted this out considering last month's disaster. Oh well.

any clues on first question? :smile:
Reply 1877
Original post by rabirabbit
any clues on first question? :smile:

search for a link between all 4 images

also need a bit of help with copper level :P
I have no idea what the first question is...
Well, copper is causing me a lot of pain. Doesn't help that it's the middle of the night either... :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest