The Student Room Group

Can a weak team like Arsenal win the league?

Weak in comparison to United, Chelsea, Man City. I'd like Arsenal to win the league as i'm neutral (I support no team :biggrin:)

I just cannot see it at this moment. I predict a middle season collapse, Pellegrini sacked, January signings for United which propel them into contention once again, and Chelsea stealing the title with debatable decisions.

Chelsea always get the decisions. Arsenal on the other hand will most likely end up with 0 once again.

They've already lost against big teams like Chelsea at home, United away.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CryptoidAlien
Weak in comparison to United, Chelsea, Man City. I'd like Arsenal to win the league as i'm neutral (I support no team :biggrin:)

I just cannot see it at this moment. I predict a middle season collapse, Pellegrini sacked, January signings for United which propel them into contention once again, and Chelsea stealing the title with debatable decisions.

Chelsea always get the decisions. Arsenal on the other hand will most likely end up with 0 once again.

The same United lost to Newcastle, who lost 6-0 to a Suarez-less Liverpool, who lost to 2-0 to Arsenal?

That United? Yes I'm sure Ozil quakes in his boots and can't even look Fellaini in the eye
Reply 2
disagree with a lot of that. arsenal are not weak in comparison to united, with the exception of strikers arsenal have better players in every department this year, especially midfield. at this rate everton, spurs and Liverpool are as much of a threat to the title challenge as united are.

I cant see pellegrini getting sacked. they need to sort their away form granted, but that hardly justifies a mid-season sacking. as for Chelsea getting the decisions, I can think of one notable one this season (against west brom), sure theres been more.

the next three games are huge for arsenal - everton (which is on as I type), man city away and Chelsea. if they take 6 or more points from that, they are easily favourites for the title
Reply 3
Original post by goldie56
The same United lost to Newcastle, who lost 6-0 to a Suarez-less Liverpool, who lost to 2-0 to Arsenal?

That United? Yes I'm sure Ozil quakes in his boots and can't even look Fellaini in the eye

when?
Reply 4
Original post by bluester
when?

End of last season
Reply 5
Weak? They have by far the best midfield in the league. If they sign a world class striker in January then they will be laughing all the way.
Reply 6
when?

Last season so not relevant really.
Reply 7
End of last season

Original post by scriggy

have I missed something? when on earth did Liverpool beat man united 6-0, im sure their fans would still be going on about it if they had!
Reply 8
Original post by scriggy

That's kinda true, let me be more relevant.

Man Utd lost to Newcastle who lost to City who lost Cardiff who lost to Arsenal - all of those teams United are yet to beat (except Arsenal)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
have I missed something? when on earth did Liverpool beat man united 6-0, im sure their fans would still be going on about it if they had!

I meant Liverpool beat Newcastle
Reply 10
I meant Liverpool beat Newcastle

oh right, my mistake! not overly relevant really, Newcastle look a different team this year to the one who narrowly avoided relegation
Not sure how they are weak, apart from City I'm not sure who has a stronger team on paper.
Is anybody watching them against Everton. They're getting played off the PARK!
I still reckon that if City can sort out their away form, they will win the league at a canter. I wouldn't be surprised if they finish the season with 19 home wins out of 19. The next two games will be crucial for Arsenal but looking into February/March they have an absolutely horrific run of fixtures.

Liverpool V Arsenal
Arsenal V Man Utd
Arsenal V Sunderland
Stoke V Arsenal
Arsenal V Swansea
Tottenham V Arsenal
Chelsea V Arsenal
Arsenal V Man City
Everton V Arsenal

If they're top after that run of games, they'll win the league. Not sure if Arsenal fans would agree with me here but if Wenger can win the league, either this season or in the next year or two, in my opinion it would top anything he's done with them before. Even the Invincibles.
(edited 10 years ago)
Arsenal have been the most consistent team up until now however, despire City's poor away form their home form has allowed them to breath on the back of the Gunner's necks. Arsenal have a pretty dificult run of games in the second half of the season however, if they can get through them whilst staying on top of the league then they'll go on and win it.

Just don't write off City.
Even as an Arsenal fan I think the title is most likely between Chelsea and City. That said, on the evidence so far we're a lot stronger than in previous seasons, and I'd certainly hope for a sustained title challenge and a top 3 finish as a minimum. United are way off the pace this season and based on what we've seen might well even struggle to make the top 4 - Liverpool look well on course to beat them to it.
Reply 16
Pretty much what sr90 said but this is Arsenal's chance to win the league. City are a big threat once they get their away form sorted (which hasn't been as bad as what people make out) and their home form is 100% and they'll win the majority of their games. Chelsea seem susceptible to poor results as luckily, this side is what Mourinho worked with in his first spell and they haven't got a striker to bang in goals for them. United are out of the race, I'd accept that.

If Arsenal can stay in contention and buy a striker in January - can't see it being a major striker like Benzema/Suarez - but if they did? Wow. What a statement that would be and potentially a title winning transfer if they got Suarez.
Lol Arsenal are weak? They have only lost 2 games this season less than Chelsea, City, UTD and Liverpool. Their midfield has been outstanding Wilshere, Ramsey and Ozil are standing out. Also they plan to buy 1 or 2 more players I wouldn't call them weak they are title contenders for sure if they can draw/beat City next week then I think they have the most chance of winning the title atm its too early to say as they haven't played Chelsea/City yet
Original post by CryptoidAlien

Sorry bro,Cant hear you from all the way up on the table.:biggrin:

Man Utd beat Arse a few weeks back, so I wouldn't be so cocky

Quick Reply

Latest