The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lwestern
Where is a good place to see what is available to us? Though I'm assuming pretty much everything is

What do you mean by this? Do you mean tours of campus?

Original post by LRichards0891
Is the interview style different for A101??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure I didn't go down that pathway but I wouldn't have thought it would be drastically different, though obviously those figures won't apply to you.

Do not worry guys, they send out interviews in waves, so if you don't hear straight away don't panic! They won't "refuse" you straight off either, they need to interview everyone to make sure that they have enough people to offer a place to, and a reserve list.

When(be optimistic!) you get your interview letter it will be accompanied by an article around quite a... heavy topic! Previous examples have been Gillick competence and euthanasia. You'll be expected to have a little read around the subject, have an opinion, and be able to defend it to a reasonable standard. They don't expect too much, its just an indication that you care about the interview and the place! Let me know what the subject is when you get it and I'll see if I can help with practise questions etc.

But do not panic, this is not the end of the world if you don't get an interview. Also, remember that when you get through to interviews, at any stage, remember that it is as much you interviewing the school as it is them interviewing you. They know this and they have no reason to be mean as it would give Barts a bad reputation and mean that there are fewer of you eager to come join us! I had an awful interview at Leicester and I immediately realised I didn't want to go to their Medical School!
Reply 761
Am I the only one constantly refreshing my inbox every 5 minutes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by santi_92
Am I the only one constantly refreshing my inbox every 5 minutes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha doing the exact same all day!!!!!!!!! :colondollar: has anyone got any interviews yet???
Reply 763
Maybe the interviews given out today were not for medicine guys .. I mean the newsletter was referring to dentistry and biomedicine and all the other subjects .. So perhaps the 11th was not about us ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 764
Original post by Conaura
Maybe the interviews given out today were not for medicine guys .. I mean the newsletter was referring to dentistry and biomedicine and all the other subjects .. So perhaps the 11th was not about us ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing on the dentistry front just fyi.
The last year stats are weird for undergraduate, a graduate got an interview after getting 670...I thought Barts was heavy on UKCAT?
Reply 766
Original post by Tee Logan x
Tell me about it :tongue: two of the unis i applied to (QM and Notts) are distributing interviews before the New Year for interviews in early Jan :/ :/ and i thought the Christmas holidays was going to be stressful enough with revision of everything we've done in school since September. Bleurghhhh.

At least you have school to keep you occupied :redface: I never thought I'd be the Grinch at Xmas but it's inevitable in this process :colone:
Original post by games211
The last year stats are weird for undergraduate, a graduate got an interview after getting 670...I thought Barts was heavy on UKCAT?

Its a balance of everything, they give points for UKCAT, College/previous degree grades etc and the top 800 get an interview, so although a high UKCAT helps, its not necessary if other factors make up for it :smile:
Original post by Mr Bojangles
Its a balance of everything, they give points for UKCAT, College/previous degree grades etc and the top 800 get an interview, so although a high UKCAT helps, its not necessary if other factors make up for it :smile:

but on the website it says JUST UKCAT?
Reply 769
but on the website it says JUST UKCAT?

From email:

This year we have had an unprecedented number of applications so the competition for selection at interview has been very tough. *We received 2646 applications for A100 Medicine 5 year, 1662 applications for A101 Graduate Entry Medicine and 637 for A200 Dentistry. We rank the applicants using a weighting of 50% to UKCAT score and 50% to the Tariff.

I assume website is out of date
Original post by ladams
From email:

This year we have had an unprecedented number of applications so the competition for selection at interview has been very tough. *We received 2646 applications for A100 Medicine 5 year, 1662 applications for A101 Graduate Entry Medicine and 637 for A200 Dentistry. We rank the applicants using a weighting of 50% to UKCAT score and 50% to the Tariff.

I assume website is out of date

....read the next sentence:wink:....
Reply 771

"For graduates and those applicants who applied under our Widening Participation scheme we use UKCAT only."
Reply 772

Oops, thought you were referring to A100
Original post by ladams
Oops, thought you were referring to A100

I was but I am a graduate...
Reply 774
I was but I am a graduate...

Didn't know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 775
they lied to us :frown:
Reply 776
Hello awesome people.. If i am not mistaken the ucas is meant to be down from 6 till 8 tomorrow isnt it I MAY BE WRONG and if so that might explain the lack of response ... Ps
Merey christmas and a happy new year to all awesome folks ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 777
Original post by hello101
Hello awesome people.. If i am not mistaken the ucas is meant to be down from 6 till 8 tomorrow isnt it I MAY BE WRONG and if so that might explain the lack of response ... Ps
Merey christmas and a happy new year to all awesome folks ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

But do they sent interviews via ucas? Or email?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 778
Original post by unnati212
But do they sent interviews via ucas? Or email?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hmm they send them via email so I wouldn't say that UCAS is the problem x
Original post by appleby
Last year the first invites/rejections were sent around midnight.

Midnight today or should have been sent 21 hours ago? if you get what i'm saying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending