The Student Room Group

Queens belfast medicine- pbl or traditional?

I'm really finding it difficult to find a clear cut answer on this.

Is the teaching PBL or traditional?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by jonesnm07
I'm really finding it difficult to find a clear cut answer on this.

Is the teaching PBL or traditional?

Thanks

Integrated systems based :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by emma201295
Integrated systems based :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am still confused...

Integrated means that course material is taught alongside clinical exposure, and systems based means that you learn by bodily systems.

But this could still be traditional i.e. lecture based or PBL i.e. predominantly learning in groups by problem solving scenario's.

I am confused as it says it is focused on learning rather than teaching which would suggest PBL but a student in the perspective says that it is a traditional teaching method, suggesting lectures.

Very unclear.
Reply 3
*prospectus
Reply 4
Original post by jonesnm07
I am still confused...

Integrated means that course material is taught alongside clinical exposure, and systems based means that you learn by bodily systems.

But this could still be traditional i.e. lecture based or PBL i.e. predominantly learning in groups by problem solving scenario's.

I am confused as it says it is focused on learning rather than teaching which would suggest PBL but a student in the perspective says that it is a traditional teaching method, suggesting lectures.

Very unclear.

Pbl doesn't tend to be systems based as it's more case based.
But to clarify they do not use pbl, my conversation with a lecturer their was very anti pbl her opinions seemed to suggest she thinks there's a good reason it's fallen from popularity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Aha my question to answer! To the first question, it is lecture-based teaching in other words Traditional (for trad vs pbl). Secondly, it is integrated - clinical alongside learning (clinical vs pre-clinical). Thirdly, it is taught by exploring into each system as opposed to subjects (system vs subject based). In summary, it is an integrated systems based teaching through lectures. But, you could also mention that there is a lot of group work involved in practical sessions, tutorials etc. If you have any questions, please ask!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending