The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Will95206
Hi some help please!

I am going to write my EPQ in an essay. All they say in terms of the word count is 5,000 words. Is there a max/ min limit or is that what they recommend for all candidates?

500 is the guideline. You'e allowed to be ten percent over or under so 4500 or 5500
Original post by Chantallehelm
500 is the guideline. You'e allowed to be ten percent over or under so 4500 or 5500

Cheers!
Original post by Lou1303
I'm doing my EPQ on Vietnam initially my question was along the lines of how did decisions made in the Cold War influence political decisions of Vietnam? But my supervisor said it wasn't very clear. But anyway, I am currently working on a new question to do with to what extent the cold war influenced the decisions made regarding Vietnam.
The only thing is I'm really struggling with the log book- I literally have no idea what to write because it has to last so long and I never plan anything!

Also, any ideas how to reference a podcast in your bibliography?
thanks!

My advice to you is to write EVERYTHING you do; the entire process of your project, the changes you make in your project (be they minor or major), the advice you are given by your supervisor, the areas in your project where you sought help from your supervisor (the specific question you asked them), if you changed your research techniques, type of resources you used etc.

Also mention why you did what you did. For instance mention why you changed the title. But also do this with other changes in your project, for instance you could mention why you changed the layout of your essay. Make sure when you make a point you try to elaborate further.

By the way I received an A for my EPQ, 2 marks away from an A*. If you would like any more help please ask.
Hey guys I did the EPQ on the Pica Disorder and got an A*. If any of you have any questions about research, presentation, planning or anything please feel free to PM me and i'll try to help. :smile:
Original post by Jaydude
Also in my research do i need Primary and Secondary data? (For the higher marks)

Thanks! :smile:

Hi :smile: I would just like to say I received an A for my EPQ even though I never used primary research. However, this was due to the fact that the nature of my topic would make it difficult for me to conduct primary research as it would probably involve me going to another country.
I did state this in my production log; I explained why my project lacked primary research and it wasn't my fault. However, I was told my secondary research was great and it made up for not including any primary research.

Btw my topic was political and involved international law/relations.
My advice to you is to write EVERYTHING you do; the entire process of your project, the changes you make in your project (be they minor or major), the advice you are given by your supervisor, the areas in your project where you sought help from your supervisor (the specific question you asked them), if you changed your research techniques, type of resources you used etc.

Also mention why you did what you did. For instance mention why you changed the title. But also do this with other changes in your project, for instance you could mention why you changed the layout of your essay. Make sure when you make a point you try to elaborate further.

By the way I received an A for my EPQ, 2 marks away from an A*. If you would like any more help please ask

Do you write all that in the sections in the logbook? I've been writing up the various changes and research that I've been doing on my topic but in a journal instead. Should I start transferring the stuff I've written down from the journal to the logbook? I've also made a list of individual deadlines which I need to meet in order to finish my project as well as a literary review for resources to try to get some more management marks. I need some more ways to get marks because I really need an A :/
Hey, I was wondering if I could get any advice on my title? It's currently: "How significant was the Mau Mau uprising in Kenyan independence and shaping the decline of British decolonisation in Africa?". However, I'm not sure this title would work as a lot of it overlaps. I've been thinking of changing it just to: "How significant was the Mau Mau uprising in Kenyan independence?". This would be good as it would allow me to focus on one area and there would be no overlap between the sides of the question. The only thing is, I'm not quite sure whether there's enough to write about. I've got around 6-7 points saying how the uprising did and didn't gain Kenyan independence, would you say that would be enough and would you advise the question change? Thanks
Reply 4567
Original post by mctruffle
Hey, I was wondering if I could get any advice on my title? It's currently: "How significant was the Mau Mau uprising in Kenyan independence and shaping the decline of British decolonisation in Africa?". However, I'm not sure this title would work as a lot of it overlaps. I've been thinking of changing it just to: "How significant was the Mau Mau uprising in Kenyan independence?". This would be good as it would allow me to focus on one area and there would be no overlap between the sides of the question. The only thing is, I'm not quite sure whether there's enough to write about. I've got around 6-7 points saying how the uprising did and didn't gain Kenyan independence, would you say that would be enough and would you advise the question change? Thanks

take my advice its a bit long for a title, are you doing an investigation or a research?
i got an A in mine about two years ago, nd i was advised not to do long headtitles, coz theyre not very interesting heh:biggrin:
i hope you take my advice, but its up to you my friend:biggrin::biggrin:
take my advice its a bit long for a title, are you doing an investigation or a research?
i got an A in mine about two years ago, nd i was advised not to do long headtitles, coz theyre not very interesting heh
i hope you take my advice, but its up to you my friend

I'm doing the 5000 word essay so I'm guessing that's research. I have a couple of things to write about it, I'm only concerned that the end product will just be a fairly long-winded conventional history essay and won't let me do much research. I think I may write to answer the small question and then modify the end product if I need to suit it to a new question.

Thank you :biggrin:
Hey, sorry if this has been discussed at some point, but I was just wondering at the kind of amount of sources the assessors are gonna be expecting (we're doing Edexcel) for an artefact.

I've taken info from about eight or nine so far, but I've heard people say you need to reference upwards of twenty, something I sincerely hope isn't true.

If anyone who's done the project or knows more about this than me could get back to me on this, it'd be really appreciated.
Cheers
How hard is it to get an A in the EPQ? I'm currently writing my essay and I'm about 1500 words, and to be honest, I feel that it will likely be quite shoddy, perhaps only reaching 3000-3500 characters. I've heard that the EPQ isn't marked necessarily on the essay but rather on the preparatory skills and insights you gain from completing the project and if so, how good does the essay need to be? I'm just panicking a bit since I've found my project doesn't have a whole lot I can write about some events so I may have a lot of characters to play with.
Reply 4571
Hi, my EPQ is 6000 words long! Is this a problem, i really have no idea what to cut out
Reply 4572
Is anyone heading for the January 2014 deadline to submit their project? :smile:
Reply 4573
Original post by Saraah17
Hi, my EPQ is 6000 words long! Is this a problem, i really have no idea what to cut out

Our exam board guidelines is 6000 but mine is around 7000. Teacher said its fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would features would you say are useful for an essay to include? I've heard that a literature review/ historiography overview can be useful as well as a historical background section but I was just wondering if there are any things that I've missed out.
my title is 'to what extent has evolution been proven' Can somebody help me on how to structure my dissertation? What do I do in my literature review I don't discuss points their right?
Hi,
I'm in year 12 and planning on doing an EPQ soon but I want to start researching and trying to compile resources now. I want to do it on something Economics related.

The topics I've thought of so far:

Microfinance

Bitcoin

Behavioural economics

Which of these topics seems the most viable/easy and will have the most resources? Also, what do you think would be appropriate questions regarding these topics? Thanks.
Original post by groovyd97
Hi,
I'm in year 12 and planning on doing an EPQ soon but I want to start researching and trying to compile resources now. I want to do it on something Economics related.

Microfinance

Bitcoin

Behavioural economics

Which of these topics seems the most viable/easy and will have the most resources? Also, what do you think would be appropriate questions regarding these topics? Thanks.

Hey! i'm also doing my EPQ on Economics. but my question is based on Entrepreneurial Culture > Economic growth. I'm also in year 12. we could pm each other if you want! :smile:
i'm wondering how people are laying out their research???
Original post by groovyd97
Hi,

Microfinance

Bitcoin

Behavioural economics

I'm also in Year 12 and planning on doing Economics for my EPQ (although potentially Politics or a combination of the two). I think Bitcoin may be the easiest out of those, simply because it's received a lot of press recently. You could possibly ask whether it looks like it'll be a viable currency for the future, or something along those lines?

In case you're wondering, I think I might do something on Mincome, which was a social experiment conducted back in the '70s regarding basic income, but I'm not sure right now. There are many other areas I'm interested in within Economics, including cryptocurrencies, but also within topics such as History. I'm vaguely tempted to do something on Alan Turing.

Original post by jennifer.tariah
Hey! i'm also doing my EPQ on Economics. but my question is based on Entrepreneurial Culture > Economic growth. I'm also in year 12. we could pm each other if you want! :smile:

That sounds interesting, although I haven't even covered Entrepreneurial Culture yet. I quickly looked it up, so my definition may not be totally right, but you may want to reference how Google used to have (or still has, it's all a little vague) a 20% time policy, in which employees could experiment with their own projects for 20% of their time - it helped to create GMail, Google News and AdSense (not Google Glass, as I initially thought, which came from Google X, I believe). Which exam board are you with for Economics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending