The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by University of Warwick
If UCAS receive your application by the 15th January you will hear from us by the 8th May.

So you have started giving out offers already? Someone from this forum claims they have an offer from you.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 821
If UCAS receive your application by the 15th January you will hear from us by the 8th May.

Cheers.
Reply 822
Original post by Mike_123
So you have started giving out offers already? Someone from this forum claims they have an offer from you.

Yes, typically we will stagger the timing of our offers.
Reply 823
Do you usually have any places for Adjustment? I'm predicted A*AAB but for some reason, did not put Warwick down as I choice, which I now regret so just wondering if there's still a chance!
Reply 824
Original post by Aaron_125
Do you usually have any places for Adjustment? I'm predicted A*AAB but for some reason, did not put Warwick down as I choice, which I now regret so just wondering if there's still a chance!

It is different every year, sometimes yes, sometimes no. However, if there are adjustment places available, they will be few in number.
Reply 825
It is different every year, sometimes yes, sometimes no. However, if there are adjustment places available, they will be few in number.

Ok, thank you!
Do you accept EPQ as an AS for your A*AAa offer?
Reply 827
Original post by FindBeautyInNegativeSpace
Do you accept EPQ as an AS for your A*AAa offer?

The EPQ is a good qualification as it tests applicant’s essay-writing and analytical ability, and a good EPQ score would definitely help strengthen an application; however, it is not accepted as a direct replacement for an AS level.
Reply 828

How does Warwick view exam resits? I'm resitting 4 IB subjects and predicted in the region of 39-41 including Maths HL (after achieving 33 in May); I've also been offered intern Analyst positions at Accenture and IBM. So, with good achieved resit results and experience at a top firm, am I still at a significant disadvantage for Economics or Accountancy (I'll be applying for 2015 entry if I achieve my grades and spend a year at the aforementioned firms)?

Edit: it can be hard to fit everything in the PS and reference - is there any other way of letting you know things, such as certain circumstances, particular achievements etc? Are there usually places left in UCAS Extra?

Cheers.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 829
Hello,

I am a current final year student at the University of Essex, studying BA Hons International Relations with a predicted 2.1 overall with chances for first class degree. Before that I have graduated in Bulgaria with A- in maths and very high overall mark. I want to apply for PG Diploma in economics but I do not know that my previous non-economical experiance is a problem. I have passed Political Analysis (exam based on State graphs and regressions), also development politics and economics (mixed) and I am currently studying Political Economy and International Negotiation (Game Theory mainly). Could you give me an advice or recommendation what to improve before applying.

Thank you in advance.

Bozhidar Georgiev
Reply 830
Hello, I applied for Economics. I sent in my application on the 15th of October. 2 Days ago I received Season Greetings(are they good or bad?) and I wonder, when will I get noticed about whether I get an offer or not?

Also, I was unable to do Further Maths at my school, is this a big disadvantage?
I received AAAA and predicted A*A*Aa
Reply 831
Hello,

Does Warwick expect Polish applicants to have slightly better predicted grades at our national exam than the equivalent of A-levels you would normally expect as we are offering an unusual qualification?
Also, does Warwick look more leniently at non-UK applicants' personal statements as they don't spend the same amount of time writing and polishing it?
Reply 832
Original post by TheHenri
Hello, I applied for Economics. I sent in my application on the 15th of October. 2 Days ago I received Season Greetings(are they good or bad?) and I wonder, when will I get noticed about whether I get an offer or not?

Also, I was unable to do Further Maths at my school, is this a big disadvantage?
I received AAAA and predicted A*A*Aa

I got an offer from Warwick for economics last week.Dont you worry,I predicted A*aaa
Reply 833
Original post by ljburke
How does Warwick view exam resits? I'm resitting 4 IB subjects and predicted in the region of 39-41 including Maths HL (after achieving 33 in May); I've also been offered intern Analyst positions at Accenture and IBM. So, with good achieved resit results and experience at a top firm, am I still at a significant disadvantage for Economics or Accountancy (I'll be applying for 2015 entry if I achieve my grades and spend a year at the aforementioned firms)?

Edit: it can be hard to fit everything in the PS and reference - is there any other way of letting you know things, such as certain circumstances, particular achievements etc? Are there usually places left in UCAS Extra?

Cheers.

Speaking for the Economics Department we typically don’t view resits in a negative light, conditional on the resits being completed in the standard timeframe of the qualification being attained. Work experience in general is a good addition to any personal statement, as long as it articulated why it will help make you an interested student. The standard UCAS form is all the space available. Given Warwick’s competitiveness it is highly unlikely there will be places available in UCAS Extra.
Reply 834
Original post by bgeorgb
Hello,

I am a current final year student at the University of Essex, studying BA Hons International Relations with a predicted 2.1 overall with chances for first class degree. Before that I have graduated in Bulgaria with A- in maths and very high overall mark. I want to apply for PG Diploma in economics but I do not know that my previous non-economical experiance is a problem. I have passed Political Analysis (exam based on State graphs and regressions), also development politics and economics (mixed) and I am currently studying Political Economy and International Negotiation (Game Theory mainly). Could you give me an advice or recommendation what to improve before applying.

Thank you in advance.

Bozhidar Georgiev

For more specific questions please email [email protected].
Reply 835
Original post by sherrycui
I got an offer from Warwick for economics last week.Dont you worry,I predicted A*aaa

Season greetings is a goodwill message. Not having Further Maths is definitely not a disadvantage; it is viewed as any other standard A-level subject. Congratulations on your offer.
Reply 836
Original post by HOBIX
Hello,

Does Warwick expect Polish applicants to have slightly better predicted grades at our national exam than the equivalent of A-levels you would normally expect as we are offering an unusual qualification?
Also, does Warwick look more leniently at non-UK applicants' personal statements as they don't spend the same amount of time writing and polishing it?

A lot of effort is made to ensure that there is equivalence between all international exam requirements and A-level requirements. Further, these equivalences are checked often. If you have further questions regarding specific entry requirements please email [email protected].

There is no leniency shown towards any personal statements, each and every application is viewed in its totality (actual/predicted grades, personal statement, past academic record and academic references). Please go to
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/personal_statement_library if you require pointers for writing a personal statement.
Do I have a chance of being made a standard offer if I apply for a degree in Mathematics with just A/S Mathematics and Economics? I will begin my UCAS application in September 2014 for entry in 2015. At the time of applying I will only have my A/S grades in Economics and Maths, I plan on self-teaching A2 Maths, Economics and Further Maths in the second year.

I am really worried my application will look weak compared to most Maths applications who do their Mathematics A-Level in one year. :frown:
Reply 838
Speaking for the Economics Department we typically don’t view resits in a negative light, conditional on the resits being completed in the standard timeframe of the qualification being attained.

As the IB isn't modular and all exams are at the end of yr 13, resits are only possible in a gap year, either the November after May or the May a year later (and so not completed within the usual timeframe) - will Warwick see this in a negative light then?
v I want to study BSc Economics
My grades in igvse were 5 A* 2As and 1 B. My grades is AS were: Accounts -a, Business-a, Economics-a, Maths-b, Environmental Management-a, AICT-a. And I bagged the first place in India among best four cambridge AS Levels.

My grades in Alevels are expected to be quite similar.

Do you think I'll get an offer or should I not bother applying? Please help!

Quick Reply

Latest