The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9320
Original post by Krish4791
Uncle Toni's done a pretty good job for Rafa throughout his entire career - I think it would be quite awkward for both of them if he were to bring in someone new :smile:

Borg might not want to coach anybody, but JMac would be thrilled if he got asked by anyone!

Still Nads Needs one of them Uncle Toni just brings that defence game to Nadal. Remember Roig Nads other coach who helped Nads win Summer slam, it was because he brought an aggressive approach to Nads game. I think Jmac can also make Nads more aggressive. :smile:
Original post by ubi1
Still Nads Needs one of them Uncle Toni just brings that defence game to Nadal. Remember Roig Nads other coach who helped Nads win Summer slam, it was because he brought an aggressive approach to Nads game. I think Jmac can also make Nads more aggressive. :smile:

I think aggressive is the wrong approach for Nadal, he plays in such a way that he knows he'll outlast most opponents and can generate enough topspin to prevent a cracking forehand being thrown back. All Nadal needs to do is stay fit, scrap Indian Wells and Miami and get more grass practice.
Reply 9322
Original post by Rakas21
I think aggressive is the wrong approach for Nadal, he plays in such a way that he knows he'll outlast most opponents and can generate enough topspin to prevent a cracking forehand being thrown back. All Nadal needs to do is stay fit, scrap Indian Wells and Miami and get more grass practice.

Scarpping IW and MI means Losing a potential 2000 points to Novak.
Original post by ubi1

I don't think he'll mind that much - he's made it clear that being No. 1 is not his target for next year. He's on top now, and he says it's important for him to try and stay injury-free as long as possible, even if that were to mean skipping a few tournaments. With that in mind, I think Novak might end 2014 as No. 1, but Rafa is unlikely to skip Indian Wells.

In any case, if he keeps winning the ranking will take care of itself, won't it? :wink:
Reply 9324
I don't think he'll mind that much - he's made it clear that being No. 1 is not his target for next year. He's on top now, and he says it's important for him to try and stay injury-free as long as possible, even if that were to mean skipping a few tournaments. With that in mind, I think Novak might end 2014 as No. 1, but Rafa is unlikely to skip Indian Wells.

In any case, if he keeps winning the ranking will take care of itself, won't it? :wink:

If he Skips Miami I dont think that won't that much. Also why is he playing Rio and these other small events?
Original post by ubi1
If he Skips Miami I dont think that won't that much. Also why is he playing Rio and these other small events?

Miami is irrelevant for him anyway, seeing as he didn't play there last year. Not sure why he's playing the smaller events
Reply 9326
Miami is irrelevant for him anyway, seeing as he didn't play there last year. Not sure why he's playing the smaller events

You know if race to london rankings didn't exist Nads would be fav to end YR end no.1 Again. Race to london favored Nads last year but this year it might go against him lol. But Nadal is 3 time Finalist in MI I want him to win it this year. He's capable of winning it. Because he's world no.1 he might carry on his consistency. As for the smaller events, winning the small events will give Nads perhaps the confidence he needs to for the bigger trophies later on like last year.
Original post by ubi1

At tournaments where he's least likely to win against a host of hard court players and which puts greatest strain on his knee so the effort to reward ratio is not all that great.

Far better i think for him to start the clay season in February and take it a bit easier during March.
Reply 9328
Original post by Rakas21
At tournaments where he's least likely to win against a host of hard court players and which puts greatest strain on his knee so the effort to reward ratio is not all that great.

Far better i think for him to start the clay season in February and take it a bit easier during March.

Yea Another Benefit is easy ranking points along with training for Djokovic. This year Novak Is going to do everything possible to win R.G. He's Going to watch every sigle loss to nadal on clay and watch nadals matches. I wish Nadal studies Djovic the way djokovic studies Nadal. Also If Nads Uses his Biggest weapon against Djokovic which is his down the line forehand then I think he can win Australia but if he don't use it then bang 4 in a row for Nole.
Original post by ubi1
You know if race to london rankings didn't exist Nads would be fav to end YR end no.1 Again. Race to london favored Nads last year but this year it might go against him lol. But Nadal is 3 time Finalist in MI I want him to win it this year. He's capable of winning it. Because he's world no.1 he might carry on his consistency. As for the smaller events, winning the small events will give Nads perhaps the confidence he needs to for the bigger trophies later on like last year.

We'll see whether or not he decides to play Miami. More interesting for me (regarding Nadal, that is) is where he'll pick up his points in 2014 - which titles will he successfully defend and which other titles will he win? Will he win back Monte Carlo for instance?

Original post by Rakas21

Agree 100%. We'll see what Nadal does as far as hard courts go. 2014 looks to be more interesting than 2013 for sure.
Original post by ubi1
Yea Another Benefit is easy ranking points along with training for Djokovic. This year Novak Is going to do everything possible to win R.G. He's Going to watch every sigle loss to nadal on clay and watch nadals matches. I wish Nadal studies Djovic the way djokovic studies Nadal. Also If Nads Uses his Biggest weapon against Djokovic which is his down the line forehand then I think he can win Australia but if he don't use it then bang 4 in a row for Nole.

I think the AO will be predominantly a 2-horse race between these two guys, but I think Rog and Andy are dark-horses for the event. Federer's QF will be difficult unless he draws Ferrer, whilst Andy is coming back from injury so he's a real X-factor.
Reply 9331
We'll see whether or not he decides to play Miami. More interesting for me (regarding Nadal, that is) is where he'll pick up his points in 2014 - which titles will he successfully defend and which other titles will he win? Will he win back Monte Carlo for instance?

My Biggest worry is R.G I don't care as much for Monte Carlo now. Nads should win it back this year though. If Djokovic wins R.g he takes the H2H with him through a 5 in row :frown::frown:. So R.G

Agree 100%. We'll see what Nadal does as far as hard courts go. 2014 looks to be more interesting than 2013 for sure.

2013 Lol I said it 1000 times Nads Needs just 6000 points like another quote I remember was He return no.1 if he does this lol.
2014 will Definitely be more interesting with Murray back in the picture and Federer too will have a better season by winning more matches and 2 or 3 more trophies.
Reply 9332
I think the AO will be predominantly a 2-horse race between these two guys, but I think Rog and Andy are dark-horses for the event. Federer's QF will be difficult unless he draws Ferrer, whilst Andy is coming back from injury so he's a real X-factor.

Yes If Nads Use his DTL I think his my Fav but if he Doesn't use it and its 2012 again. Imagine Djokvic Draws Murray in his half. And Nadal Draw Federer in Quarters and Ferrer in the semis.
Original post by ubi1
Yes If Nads Use his DTL I think his my Fav but if he Doesn't use it and its 2012 again. Imagine Djokvic Draws Murray in his half. And Nadal Draw Federer in Quarters and Ferrer in the semis.

That's a pretty good scenario for Nadal. The problem is that with Federer still below No. 4, there's a chance that Fed, Murray and one of Nole/Nadal could all end up in the same half
Reply 9334
That's a pretty good scenario for Nadal. The problem is that with Federer still below No. 4, there's a chance that Fed, Murray and one of Nole/Nadal could all end up in the same half

I just hope Djokovic Ends up having Delpo no.5 and Murray no.4 in his half 2 5 setters should tire him out. And nadal gets world no.6 fed in quarters and world no.3 ferrer in semis its possible right?
Original post by ubi1
I just hope Djokovic Ends up having Delpo no.5 and Murray no.4 in his half 2 5 setters should tire him out. And nadal gets world no.6 fed in quarters and world no.3 ferrer in semis its possible right?

Yes yes, of course it's possible. Nadal's easiest path would be Berdych/Wawrinka in QFs and then Ferrer in SFs though
Reply 9336
Yes yes, of course it's possible. Nadal's easiest path would be Berdych/Wawrinka in QFs and then Ferrer in SFs though

Fed has better chance of beating Nole at Aussie or Nads?
Original post by ubi1
Fed has better chance of beating Nole at Aussie or Nads?

Probably Novak. Fed always matches up better against Novak, but he would need to play close to 2007 level to beat either of them at the AO in a best of 5.
Reply 9338
Probably Novak. Fed always matches up better against Novak, but he would need to play close to 2007 level to beat either of them at the AO in a best of 5.

What if Novak has a day like he did with wawrinka at 2013 aussie open and Fed plays a really good match. If he wins that good give a big boost for the whole year?
Original post by ubi1
What if Novak has a day like he did with wawrinka at 2013 aussie open and Fed plays a really good match. If he wins that good give a big boost for the whole year?

Yep - he definitely needs at least 1 big win over Djoko/Nadal/Murray to help him define his 2014 season. If he can win a Slam, even better

Latest