The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Or maybe Rosol's game is more threatening (to Nadal at least) on grass.
Original post by Krish4791
Or maybe Rosol's game is more threatening (to Nadal at least) on grass.

I think big hitters in general are a threat to Rafa on grass - particularly in the early rounds when he's slow to get into his grass court game. We've seen this a few times - in 2010 when he won his second title he was taken to 5 by both Haase (I was at that one) and Petzschner. Grass is still the surface where big hitters can take down some high ranked scalps because of the way it plays; it's the hardest surface to defend on and Rafa doesn't have as much time to run around his forehand.
Original post by Sirocco11
I think big hitters in general are a threat to Rafa on grass - particularly in the early rounds when he's slow to get into his grass court game. We've seen this a few times - in 2010 when he won his second title he was taken to 5 by both Haase (I was at that one) and Petzschner. Grass is still the surface where big hitters can take down some high ranked scalps because of the way it plays; it's the hardest surface to defend on and Rafa doesn't have as much time to run around his forehand.

In a way, Rosol's a little lucky they're playing in Qatar; on clay, he'd be toast against the top guys (although he has had some success on the surface).
I get the feeling that Rafa has relaxed off just a little in 2012 and 2013 in that period just after the French Open, going into Wimbledon. Last year, Darcis played very well, but even then it felt as if Rafa just wasn't moving well at all - he could do with a grass court warm-up tournament if he wants to make it past Week 1 again, or even win the title for a 3rd time.
In a way, Rosol's a little lucky they're playing in Qatar; on clay, he'd be toast against the top guys (although he has had some success on the surface).
I get the feeling that Rafa has relaxed off just a little in 2012 and 2013 in that period just after the French Open, going into Wimbledon. Last year, Darcis played very well, but even then it felt as if Rafa just wasn't moving well at all - he could do with a grass court warm-up tournament if he wants to make it past Week 1 again, or even win the title for a 3rd time.

uncle toni made some comments after wimbledon 2013, and he criticized Nadal for lacking motivation at wimbledon. i've read some interviews by Nadal and he said because the ball bounces lower on grass (especially week one grass) it takes a lot more effort to play each shot cos he has to bend his knees more than usual. so i can see why he didn't put as much energy into wimbledon, cos he was still in some pain earlier this year and shaking off rust. so it would have been hard to play wimbledon without worrying about the knees each time he had to bend extra-low-down. also its schedule so soon after the roland garros final. but in 2015 they are changing the date of wimbledon to a week later. 2014 wills till be scheduled too soon.
(edited 10 years ago)

Yeah the top guys would make mince meat out of Rosol on clay, let alone Rafa - he's game style is pretty unsuitable for the long rallies on the clay, even with the ability to hit through the court.

That's an interesting perspective on Rafa on the channel slam transition - does seem to be that way. I think Rafa's been a little too content after winning the French to have one or two to no grass court matches, when he really does need the grass tournament tune ups to make the transition. While Rosol was a freak loss, and Darcis was to an extent (nobody expected him to play that well), I remember Rafa hitting an unusal amount of slice backhands and not running down shots he would normally go for. It was an odd one. But I agree he needs to really get deeper into the grass tune ups to make sure his movement on the grass is solid in the first week if he ever wants to win Wimbledon again.
Nadal has less motivation than ever to win wimbledon. Nadal is very close friends with murray so i bet Nadal enjoys seeing murray win Wimbledon. also now that Nadal is doing so great on hardcourts (in 2013 he won 3 hardcourt masters and a hardcourt slam), it makes it very easy to rely on the french open and us open/australian open).
Was just watching highlights of the Murray-Zayed match from Doha. It's a bit of a joke that someone ranked 2000th is playing in an ATP event on the basis of nationality. That place should have been given to someone more deserving in my opinion, who can at least put on a competitive showing at this level.
Original post by kbountra
Was just watching highlights of the Murray-Zayed match from Doha. It's a bit of a joke that someone ranked 2000th is playing in an ATP event on the basis of nationality. That place should have been given to someone more deserving in my opinion, who can at least put on a competitive showing at this level.

We have a load of crappy Brits at Queens and Wi.bledon.
Good to get some revenge over Rosol, but that was a weak performance from Rafa - 15 winners- 27 UFEs is very uncharacteristic. His forehand wasn't that effective today either. Should have some more time to tune up in the Kamke match though.

Gasquet's match will be another joke showing like Murray's match probably.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
We have a load of crappy Brits at Queens and Wi.bledon.

Did you even see the match? It was over in 37 minutes. I think it's fair to give out wildcards to a nation's own players if they have potential and are going to put up a competitive showing. GB have given out too many at Wimbledon in recent years admittedly, but giving someone ranked 2000 a wildcard to an ATP event is unjustifiable.
Original post by Sirocco11
Good to get some revenge over Rosol, but that was a weak performance from Rafa - 15 winners- 27 UFEs is very uncharacteristic. His forehand wasn't that effective today either. Should have some more time to tune up in the Kamke match though.

Gasquet's match will be another joke showing like Murray's match probably.

that rosol match is all about mind games, and rosol was still trying to distract Nadal, just like he did at 2012 wimbledon. i love their battles, and hope we get some more meetings before rosol retires. the trouble is, they can't really meet unless its in the 1st or 2nd round, because rosol almost never wins a match!
Reply 9431
Did you even see the match? It was over in 37 minutes. I think it's fair to give out wildcards to a nation's own players if they have potential and are going to put up a competitive showing. GB have given out too many at Wimbledon in recent years admittedly, but giving someone ranked 2000 a wildcard to an ATP event is unjustifiable.

They only have two ranked players, him and a 16 year old. I think it's fair to give a wildcard to local players.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smallguy
They only have two ranked players, him and a 16 year old. I think it's fair to give a wildcard to local players.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No point when the result is a foregone conclusion.
Reply 9433

What a supercilious attitude. Then there's no point in about 99% of tennis matches.

How do you expect nations to get better at tennis if they can't expose their player to the experience of playing in tournaments?

Also pretty sure it wasn't dead certain he was going to play Murray.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 419
Then there's no point in about 99% if tennis matches.

How do you expect People to get at tennis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've completely missed my point. All I'm saying is that a player ranked 2000 should not be playing in an ATP level event. Hence why he was demolished 6-0 6-0. No fun for him getting destroyed like that or for the fans who are seeing a local player beaten like that because he is simply not good enough to be out there. 99% of matches are not a foregone conclusion because the majority of players are ranked in the same bracket as one another. For example, for direct qualification into grand slams you need to be in the top 100 so most matches will be competitive encounters. In fact, aside from the top 10, you often get guys ranked 100 beating players in the 10-90 bracket.
Original post by 419
What a supercilious attitude. Then there's no point in about 99% of tennis matches.

How do you expect nations to get better at tennis if they can't expose their player to the experience of playing in tournaments?

Also pretty sure it wasn't dead certain he was going to play Murray.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Players get better at tennis by moving up the rankings by beating guys usually in the same rankings bracket as them in tournaments at their level. Zayed would have got destroyed by any other player in the draw, even if he wasn't drawn to face Murray because of the gulf in their abilities. Now he's going to go back to playing minor tournaments for the rest of the year like all other players ranked 2000 in the world. If Zayed want to improve he needs to win at that level.
(edited 10 years ago)

That's the problem with having national tennis authorities though, some countries will only have the choice of urine or feces to give wildcards to.
Original post by Rakas21
That's the problem with having national tennis authorities though, some countries will only have the choice of urine or feces to give wildcards to.

Yeah that's true unfortunately.
Murray was dumped out in the second round.

Nadal not very inspiring at the moment in a third set to a nobody but I imagine he will win.

Hewitt in the quarters to a nobody at Brisbane so good week for him.

Federer having a good week as well.
federer is great at beating the nieminens of the world. he was pretty good at that in 2013 too, despite winning only 1 title.

who would win today if nadal and federer met? nad.

Latest