The Student Room Group

How hard do you think these A-level subjects would be?

I want to do computing..and biochemistry, so I'm doing Maths, Computing, Chemistry, and Biology. Do you think that the workload would be too much?
I am an average student, but I work hard. Also, I am a little confused about mathematics A-level..the college that I wish to go to has 3 types of maths a-level, Further maths a level, Mechanics a level, and Statistics a-level. I am not sure on what to pick. I have already got a B in gcse maths, with little study. I am going to retake GCSE maths in a few months time.
There's no answer to "Will the workload be too much". Most students take 4 AS Levels and most of them cope well. I think you are a bit confused about the Maths A Levels the college offers. Whereas most subjects have set modules that everyone has to take, maths has some compulsory modules and many optional ones. Further Maths is 2 A Levels, not one (i.e. double the number of modules of ordinary maths). "Mechanics" and "Statistics" could mean either Maths or Further Maths, and simply means that the optional modules are mainly mechanical or mainly statistical. Could you link us to that college so we can clarify exactly what the options mean?
Reply 2
Original post by Spratty
I want to do computing..and biochemistry, so I'm doing Maths, Computing, Chemistry, and Biology. Do you think that the workload would be too much?
I am an average student, but I work hard. Also, I am a little confused about mathematics A-level..the college that I wish to go to has 3 types of maths a-level, Further maths a level, Mechanics a level, and Statistics a-level. I am not sure on what to pick. I have already got a B in gcse maths, with little study. I am going to retake GCSE maths in a few months time.

When you say average student, what grades do you mean? To me, average is C grade.

I think for computing/biochemistry you've chosen well. They all interlink with each other, and even if you changed your mind you have 4 very good subjects to fall back on. However, these subjects are 4 very hard subjects. You will have a lot of work!
Those AS choices should keep your options open for your desired degree subjects. The workload won't be too much - most students do 4AS levels and several do many more, and the fact that your subjects link together well means that there will be some transferable knowledge - i.e. slightly less stuff to remember than if you were doing 4 completed unrelated AS levels.
You only have the choice between Mechanics and Statistics - Further Maths is an ADDITIONAL subject to one of these (you can only do Further Maths if you are also doing Maths).
Think a bit about whether you prefer Mechanics or Statistics - however since you are not doing Physics and didn't do so well at GCSE maths I would probably recommend Statistics - it is fairly easy and just about remembering a few basic equations with some probability stuff thrown in. If you are not sure, it would be a good idea to get the textbooks for M1 and S1 from your college library and see which looks the most interesting/ easiest.
Reply 4
Original post by Kelytha
When you say average student, what grades do you mean? To me, average is C grade.

I think for computing/biochemistry you've chosen well. They all interlink with each other, and even if you changed your mind you have 4 very good subjects to fall back on. However, these subjects are 4 very hard subjects. You will have a lot of work!

Sorry for not expanding on that. Most of my working at grades are B/A right now.
Reply 5
Original post by Spratty
Sorry for not expanding on that. Most of my working at grades are B/A right now.

I'd hardly consider you average with B/A! Those are grades I would have been ecstatic with at school! (I was a mostly C grade student, couple of A/B.) I don't think you will have any problems with your A-Levels as long as you work hard. They are good choices.
Reply 6
Original post by Chlorophile
There's no answer to "Will the workload be too much". Most students take 4 AS Levels and most of them cope well. I think you are a bit confused about the Maths A Levels the college offers. Whereas most subjects have set modules that everyone has to take, maths has some compulsory modules and many optional ones. Further Maths is 2 A Levels, not one (i.e. double the number of modules of ordinary maths). "Mechanics" and "Statistics" could mean either Maths or Further Maths, and simply means that the optional modules are mainly mechanical or mainly statistical. Could you link us to that college so we can clarify exactly what the options mean?

Mechanics Maths A-level - http://www.bmetc.ac.uk/courses-and-training/16-19/2147483647-6038
Statistics Maths A level- http://www.bmetc.ac.uk/courses-and-training/16-19/2147483647-6039
Original post by Spratty

Mechanics is generally the harder maths module, whereas Statistics is easier, so I'm guessing:
Mechanics:
C1,C2,C3,C4,M1,M2/M3/M4

Statistics
C1,C2,C3,C4,S1,S2/S3/S4

Pure:
C1,C2,C3,C4,FP1,FP2/FP3

Further maths (2 a-levels)

C1,C2,C3,C4,FP1,FP2/FP3,

and Six of:

S1, S2, S3, S4, M1, M2, M3, M4, D1 and D2
Reply 8
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Mechanics is generally the harder maths module, whereas Statistics is easier, so I'm guessing:
Mechanics:
C1,C2,C3,C4,M1,M2/M3/M4

Statistics
C1,C2,C3,C4,S1,S2/S3/S4

Pure:
C1,C2,C3,C4,FP1,FP2/FP3

Further maths (2 a-levels)

C1,C2,C3,C4,FP1,FP2/FP3,

and Six of:

S1, S2, S3, S4, M1, M2, M3, M4, D1 and D2

Is statistics as respected as mechanics by universities, or does it really matter which one you pick to universities?
Original post by Spratty
Is statistics as respected as mechanics by universities, or does it really matter which one you pick to universities?

Well I think universities generally prefer Mechanics, and it helps in Physics, but my sister took Statistics, and is doing Medicine and says it helps as well, but what I would recommend is if you prefer Mechanics type work such as:

Vectors, kinematics, force, momentum, etc.

Or if you prefer the Statistics side:

Data presentation, probability, standard deviation, etc.
Reply 10
Original post by Spratty

Do not take statistics or you will want to kill yourself by the end of your course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I'm doing mathematics at the minute at a-level, and this year I do core 1, and core 2 aswell as statistics, I didn't get a choice as far as I can remember but I didn't do physics or any other subjects that would be related to the other options so I assume that's why. I love maths so for me I don't find the work load to really be an issue.

I'm currently studying maths, law, art, psychology, and accounts and I can honestly say that at my college, I don't feel the work load is a problem at all as long as everything is kept on top of and you understand things as you go along.

The work you do at home is more focused compared to school and I've found I have more time to myself because I'm not doing pointless work anymore and I enjoy all of my courses despite me adding one more AS subject to my work load:smile: ; hope everything goes well for you with deciding:smile:
Reply 12
Having 3 different maths courses is what my college does. Most people who want to take medicine or biological science at uni take stats, those who are more into physics and computing tend to do mechanics. If you're undecided on what to do at uni, take the one that sounds most interesting to you. Stats is probability, data handling etc, mechanics is more about forces and movement, equations of motion etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending