Nadal's prospective route is looking like this:
R1 Tomic
R2 Sijsling
R3 Monfils
R4 Hewitt
QF Del Potro
SF Murray
F Djokovic

It's a tricky draw for Rafa, he's definitely got the hardest potential route to the final but there are a lot of matches there that would make for quality viewing. Murray starts off easy and his matches get progressively more difficult so I'm backing him to find some form and make a solid run to the semis. Djokovic looks like he's already in the final- only Wawrinka can stop him imo.

Yeah Wawrinka will be looking to at least push Djokovic to five sets but I think this is where Djokovic feels that Becker can help him, I think he'd be hoping for 3 tight sets over Wawrinka which he is capable of. I think we'll have to wait and see but I doubt anyone will have an easy path to the final.
I'll be very happy if Rog can make the QFs or even the SFs given this draw. I have no clue how Murray is holding up physically.

Djoko looking good atm
Not a kind draw for Rafa to put it lightly. While I'm not a fan of calling players with soft draws and it ain't their fault, Djokovic is a virtual lock for the final. I can't imagine that Wawrinka will pose much more of a challenge this year than last - the big element of their match at the AO last year was the surprise that Wawa could play that well.

On the other hand anyone can make a hash out of an easy draw and the top seeds might not even meet in the rounds they're supposed to. Delpo might bomb out in the early rounds like last year. Murray is a question mark for me - he wasn't in Doha for long so there's no way of telling quite how fit he is and whether his back will give way.
Reply 9563
Original post by lizzy95
Yeah Wawrinka will be looking to at least push Djokovic to five sets but I think this is where Djokovic feels that Becker can help him, I think he'd be hoping for 3 tight sets over Wawrinka which he is capable of. I think we'll have to wait and see but I doubt anyone will have an easy path to the final.

Only Djokovic has an easy path. Nadal and Federer have tough opponents!
Del Potro took 53 minutes to thrash Tomic 6-3 6-1.
Reply 9565
Original post by Rakas21
Del Potro took 53 minutes to thrash Tomic 6-3 6-1.

Del Potro is on fire!
Reply 9566
Original post by ubi1

Just have faith in your man! I really doubt that Federer and Murray will pose too much of a threat at least not against Nadal. I think Del Potro will be interesting though so we'll see. Wawrinka will definitely make sure Djokovic doesn't have an easy path
Reply 9567
Original post by lizzy95
Just have faith in your man! I really doubt that Federer and Murray will pose too much of a threat at least not against Nadal. I think Del Potro will be interesting though so we'll see. Wawrinka will definitely make sure Djokovic doesn't have an easy path

Wawrinka no longer possesses the element of surprise. Djokovic shall take him down in 3 tight sets.
Or Tomic was just crap. I've no idea as I didn't see it but I'll catch the highlights later.

Tomic is still overrated, the least promising of the next generation. Janowicz for me is the most likely to break through.
Reply 9569
Original post by ubi1
Wawrinka no longer possesses the element of surprise. Djokovic shall take him down in 3 tight sets.

I guess we'll have to wait and see :smile:
DelPo was impressive today, if he can match his wimbledon performance of last year I think he's the biggest threat to Djokovic.

Original post by ubi1
Thing is Nadal will make it to the final with exhausted knees while Djokovic will be fresh. He's already been handed the trophy from the get go now we just need to see how he destroys the opponent in the final!:frown:

Disrespectful calling top 50 tennis players as "easy"
Reply 9571
I just wonder if this will be the time (other than Wimbledon 2013) when Delpo finally lives up to the hype. He's got the most potential of the guys outside the Big 3 but he always seems to falter on the big stage :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
It's Monfils tournament to lose for me
Reply 9573
Original post by hskjlclcn
DelPo was impressive today, if he can match his wimbledon performance of last year I think he's the biggest threat to Djokovic.

Disrespectful calling top 50 tennis players as "easy"

You think jovak doesn't have a cakewalk draw.
Original post by ubi1

Nadal has the hardest draw followed by Del Potro (plays Raonic in R4) and then Murray/Federer.

Original post by Sirocco11
Or Tomic was just crap. I've no idea as I didn't see it but I'll catch the highlights later.

Tomic is still overrated, the least promising of the next generation. Janowicz for me is the most likely to break through.

Tomic went out with a whimper at the end but Del Potro was pretty flawless. In the post match interview Tomic actually said he's never played anybody as good as Del Potro in the second set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QrnZLRalra4

I still think Tomic could be great but he lacks the mental and physical strength required, a great example was today when Del Potro at times really did bully him with stupidly powerful forehands.

Original post by lizzy95
I just wonder if this will be the time (other than Wimbledon 2013) when Delpo finally lives up to the hype. He's got the most potential of the guys outside the Big 3 but he always seems to falter on the big stage :frown:

It's possible and consistency is the only thing stopping him (could be fitter though).

I think Del Potro will actually be stronger against Nadal than Murray or Djokovic though. His height and baseline competence seem to make Nadal's spin and long rallies much less of an issue which is why Del Potro's being very strong against Nadal at the US 09, Wimbledon 11, Indian Wells 13 and Shanghai 13. Against Murray and Djokovic i think these advantages slip away a bit and its down to pure rally and shot selection (in the case of Wimbledon 13 fitness was probably the decider).

I certainly hope he does not play stupidly this year. Last year he just sat behind the baseline allowing Chardy to come in which is the opposite of what somebody with the angles and forehand power of Del Potro should do.
Original post by ubi1
You think jovak doesn't have a cakewalk draw.

I think it's the nicest draw but I wouldn't call it a "cakewalk" - similarly as the nadal/fed quarter at wimbledon showed last year anything can happen in a draw.
Reply 9576
Been meaning to start posting in this tread for a while for what better time than just before the Australian Open.

I am Murray fan but personally can not see past a Nadal Novak final unless Delpo hits top form.

Also it was announced this morning that Hewitt is playing doubles with Rafter :eek:
Australian Open starts in just under 80 minutes. Excited!
Reply 9578
Original post by Sirocco11
Australian Open starts in just under 80 minutes. Excited!

Serious But those are crap matches though:frown:
Original post by ubi1
Serious But those are crap matches though:frown:

Oh, have all the results been posted before the matches?

Just because the matches are among lower ranked players doesn't mean the matches won't be good. There's plenty of potentially good fixtures there - Watson-Hantuchova, Gulbis-Monaco, Bagdhatis-Istomin.

Latest