The Student Room Group

Cousins feeling down :(

Feel bad for my cousin. He got no interviews again. With a star AAB and 635 in his ukcat he is really depressed now.

He's been waiting for ever for his interview and checked his email everyday. He's a good kid , a bit religious.

What should he do? He told me that he wants to do medicine or at leafs dentistry abroad. Obviously I told him that not ll courses are in English?

What do I tell him?
Reply 1
Original post by woztar
Feel bad for my cousin. He got no interviews again. With a star AAB and 635 in his ukcat he is really depressed now.

He's been waiting for ever for his interview and checked his email everyday. He's a good kid , a bit religious.

What should he do? He told me that he wants to do medicine or at leafs dentistry abroad. Obviously I told him that not ll courses are in English?

What do I tell him?

Maybe there's something wrong with his choices? Just for example, you cannot apply for A*AA courses if you 'only' have AAB. Or his PS is not convincing enough?
Did he tell you where he wishes to go? Going abroad is a good option if you want to experience new cultures etc, not because you weren't accepted at your home university and got depression. You don't want to realise after 2 weeks that being far from home is nothing for you.
Reply 2
Original post by Hanover
Maybe there's something wrong with his choices? Just for example, you cannot apply for A*AA courses if you 'only' have AAB. Or his PS is not convincing enough?
Did he tell you where he wishes to go? Going abroad is a good option if you want to experience new cultures etc, not because you weren't accepted at your home university and got depression. You don't want to realise after 2 weeks that being far from home is nothing for you.

That was my mistake he got A*AAB. I read his ps, I was very good. I don't personally think he could have made any changes to it.

He really really really really wanted to go to Sheffield. His UkCAT is too low and also I really don't think he could have improved his ps.

I just don't know?
Reply 3
Original post by woztar
That was my mistake he got A*AAB. I read his ps, I was very good. I don't personally think he could have made any changes to it.

He really really really really wanted to go to Sheffield. His UkCAT is too low and also I really don't think he could have improved his ps.

I just don't know?

Ok, so the main problem is probably his UkCAT.
I don't really understand your position, like, do you want to support him with the idea of studying abroad or do you want to convince him to stay home?
Reply 4
Original post by Hanover
Ok, so the main problem is probably his UkCAT.
I don't really understand your position, like, do you want to support him with the idea of studying abroad or do you want to convince him to stay home?

Tbh, I think he should stay here. But he tells me that why re apply AGAIn??

I mean he is trying to find an English medicL course in Europe but doesn't seem to be having any luck.
Reply 5
"Your friend" ? LOL
Reply 6
Original post by woztar
Tbh, I think he should stay here. But he tells me that why re apply AGAIn??

I mean he is trying to find an English medicL course in Europe but doesn't seem to be having any luck.

Ireland, Sweden, Switzerland have a few English courses. I recommend Sweden (Karolinska Institute) cause it's one of the most prestigeous medical school in the world!
And if he wants to go abroad, I don't think it matters if he has to go outside of Europe..? As far as I know, there are plenty of English medical courses in non-European countries such as USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore.
How much, and what types, of work experience and volunteering did he have?

I'll move this over to the medicine forum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
you can't a B for med/dent LOLLL
Reply 9
Original post by Hanover
Ireland, Sweden, Switzerland have a few English courses. I recommend Sweden (Karolinska Institute) cause it's one of the most prestigeous medical school in the world!
And if he wants to go abroad, I don't think it matters if he has to go outside of Europe..? As far as I know, there are plenty of English medical courses in non-European countries such as USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore.

US and Canada require an undergraduate degree and are not very open to foreign students and almost always require you to do the undergrad degree in the US or Canada. Not only that but it is very competitive in the US and Canada as well.
Singapore is very competitive, much more so than the UK
Australia is also very competitive and same with New Zealand.

None of the non-EU options listed are good because non-EU countries would mean your degree would not be automatically recognized in the UK anyways not to mention the fact that none of the countries listed are realistically possible.

I don't think the Karolinska Institute will work because they don't teach Medicine in English, they only teach masters and bachelors in biomedicine in English unfortunately.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by ukmed108
US and Canada require an undergraduate degree and are not very open to foreign students and almost always require you to do the undergrad degree in the US or Canada. Not only that but it is very competitive in the US and Canada as well.
Singapore is very competitive, much more so than the UK
Australia is also very competitive and same with New Zealand.

None of the options listed are good because non-EU countries would mean your degree would not be automatically recognized in the UK anyways not to mention the fact that none of the countries listed are realistically possible.

I did mention EU countries..? Ireland, Sweden?
Reply 11
Original post by Hanover
I did mention EU countries..? Ireland, Sweden?

Oh yeah sorry, i'll fix it.
Tell him that not being able to do medicine from undergrad entry is not the end, he can do another degree first and then apply for graduate entry, or more realistically he could go into another healthcare field like nursing, ODP or diagnostic radiography.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending