The Student Room Group

Going home from uni for the first time

Hi! I’m starting uni soon and my little cousins birthday is 2 weeks and 2 days after I move in. I’m going to go back home for it. I’d been planning to be there for it for ages and thought it was fine but I’ve heard people say not to go home too soon. Is this too soon? I really don’t want to miss her birthday. And it’s not like I’m going home because I’m homesick. But I don’t want people to judge me for it or for it to make it harder.
Is it an okay time to go back home for the first time? I just need some reassurance😭
Original post by Kay09932
Hi! I’m starting uni soon and my little cousins birthday is 2 weeks and 2 days after I move in. I’m going to go back home for it. I’d been planning to be there for it for ages and thought it was fine but I’ve heard people say not to go home too soon. Is this too soon? I really don’t want to miss her birthday. And it’s not like I’m going home because I’m homesick. But I don’t want people to judge me for it or for it to make it harder.
Is it an okay time to go back home for the first time? I just need some reassurance😭

Hello,

Final year Bm5 student at southampton here 👋
First of all congratulations on getting to uni! First year is a really exciting time and so is moving to a new place!
Everyone will give you different advice on how to do your time in halls, but in all honesty what really matters is how you like to spend your time and what you like to do.
Your cousin’s birthday is important to you and you shouldn’t miss it , no one will judge you if you are going home for whatever reason it is. I completely understand the worry you are having but remember all the students with you are in similar situation. Do what is best for you , its great that you are close enough to be able to make the commute for the birthday so enjoy it !
Hope this gives you some reassurance!

Cynthia ( University of Southampton student ambassador)
https://www.southampton.ac.uk
Reply 2

No one will judge you, as you are not going back to get your washing done or because you are homesick etc. In fact others will probably find it endearing that you are making an effort for your little cousin and that you don't want to go back on your word. Also, if it is not too far you can maybe just go for the day or one night, rather than Fri-Sun, but either way it will be fine.

Hi!

Congratulations on starting university! Everyone will tell you something different about when to go home for the first time but don't let this stop you from doing things you want to do! 2 weeks is a good amount of time to get settled and meet people so you won't be missing out on much by going home especially for something important to you like your cousins birthday. It is also a nice chance to see family before term really gets going!

Hope you enjoy your time at uni!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Hi @Kay09932,

Congratulations!! How do you feel about starting university? Also, which course are you doing?

Everyone is adjusting to their new lifestyle and hopefully your new friends or the people around you will not think anything of it. Like @Lancaster Student Ambassador has said, it sounds like a good time to see family before you get stuck in with uni work. I am sure your cousin will appreciate your presence at their birthday (happy early birthday to them!!). At university, you decide what your priorities are so don't be afraid to put yourself first, this is sometimes easier said then done but reach but to your universities student support service if you ever need any help.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 5
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @Kay09932,

Congratulations!! How do you feel about starting university? Also, which course are you doing?

Everyone is adjusting to their new lifestyle and hopefully your new friends or the people around you will not think anything of it. Like @Lancaster Student Ambassador has said, it sounds like a good time to see family before you get stuck in with uni work. I am sure your cousin will appreciate your presence at their birthday (happy early birthday to them!!). At university, you decide what your priorities are so don't be afraid to put yourself first, this is sometimes easier said then done but reach but to your universities student support service if you ever need any help.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

This is such a lovely response. Thank you so so much! I’m studying sociology! To be honest I’m feeling quite nervous. I’m very close to my family so I think I will find being away from them hard. A lot of it is the fear of the unknown too as well, worrying about making friends or not getting on with anyone. Also having to cook for myself! But at the same time I’m also starting to get excited! There was a time where I couldn’t even talk about it but now I’m more excited about things like decorating my room and meeting people. I hope it’ll be fine
Reply 6
Original post by lalexm
No one will judge you, as you are not going back to get your washing done or because you are homesick etc. In fact others will probably find it endearing that you are making an effort for your little cousin and that you don't want to go back on your word. Also, if it is not too far you can maybe just go for the day or one night, rather than Fri-Sun, but either way it will be fine.

Thank you very much for this! It really does make me feel better about it
Reply 7
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hello,

Final year Bm5 student at southampton here 👋
First of all congratulations on getting to uni! First year is a really exciting time and so is moving to a new place!
Everyone will give you different advice on how to do your time in halls, but in all honesty what really matters is how you like to spend your time and what you like to do.
Your cousin’s birthday is important to you and you shouldn’t miss it , no one will judge you if you are going home for whatever reason it is. I completely understand the worry you are having but remember all the students with you are in similar situation. Do what is best for you , its great that you are close enough to be able to make the commute for the birthday so enjoy it !
Hope this gives you some reassurance!

Cynthia ( University of Southampton student ambassador)
https://www.southampton.ac.uk

Thank you very much for making me feel okay about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending