The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rumbles_ubamba
How easy is it to get there? How many other students go? Is it realistic to get a season ticket at one of them?

I would love to see some professional football if I go to St. Andrews, but I do not want to go alone or if it is a big hassle to get to the grounds.

You take one bus into Dundee city centre then another one just outside the grounds (stops outside Tannadice). I never knew anybody else who went by themselves though I did get other folk to join me for a few games. Most of the students prefer rugby which is a bit of a pain sometimes.

A season ticket at Dundee would be very cheap but the football would be atrocious and the stadium's a dump. If I were you I would go to Tannadice-Dundee Utd have a very exciting young team at the moment.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Midlander
You take one bus into Dundee city centre then another one just outside the grounds (stops outside Tannadice). I never knew anybody else who went by themselves though I did get other folk to join me for a few games. Most of the students prefer rugby which is a bit of a pain sometimes.

A season ticket at Dundee would be very cheap but the football would be atrocious and the stadium's a dump. If I were you I would go to Tannadice-Dundee Utd have a very exciting young team at the moment.

I was leaning towards Dundee United anyway, second division Scottish football isn't the most appealing thing in the world. It is good to know that it is possible to go to games while studying at St. As.
Is St. Andrews a very posh school? Not that it is a bad thing. I went to a posh college.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey,

2 questions:

What percentage are the minorities there? (African or Asian) Also, do you think it's much lower than universities in the UK?

Also, what can you do their when you're not studying? I heard it's a really small town and not many places to go.

Original post by ThePersian
Hey,

2 questions:

What percentage are the minorities there? (African or Asian) Also, do you think it's much lower than universities in the UK?

Also, what can you do their when you're not studying? I heard it's a really small town and not many places to go.

I'd say maybe 5-8% of students are from an ethnic minority, probably more though. No, after Oxford, Cambridge and LSE it's really probably the best

And yeah there are, Dundee and Edinburgh are in travelling distance by train or bus and there's a lot to do within the town!
Original post by Calllu-m
I'd say maybe 5-8% of students are from an ethnic minority, probably more though. No, after Oxford, Cambridge and LSE it's really probably the best

And yeah there are, Dundee and Edinburgh are in travelling distance by train or bus and there's a lot to do within the town!

Thanks!
Reply 8406
[QUOTE="ukmed108;45535766"]Look, the domestic league tables may rank St Andrews close to Oxbridge in several departments, but the workload is still much higher at Oxbridge. and we are talking about only "several" not most. We are not equivalent to Oxbridge by any means.

In addition, the domestic league tables aren't terribly accurate. The industry connections from St Andrews pale in comparison with Cambridge for example. Our research page may be updated once a week and i don't recall any famous professors at St Andrews. Cambridge has Silicon Fen, Cambridge Bio-Campus etc. There are thousands of companies around there.[/QUOTE

]However, St Andrews dopes have a very strong Astophysics Dept amd is rated by many as bettter than Oxbridge.
Original post by ukmed108
Look, the domestic league tables may rank St Andrews close to Oxbridge in several departments, but the workload is still much higher at Oxbridge. and we are talking about only "several" not most. We are not equivalent to Oxbridge by any means.

In addition, the domestic league tables aren't terribly accurate. The industry connections from St Andrews pale in comparison with Cambridge for example. Our research page may be updated once a week and i don't recall any famous professors at St Andrews. Cambridge has Silicon Fen, Cambridge Bio-Campus etc. There are thousands of companies around there.

Well, the size of universities are quite different between them (2.5 times more students and 6.5 times more researchers than st Andrews), so it's a bit unfair comparison for st andrews.

Of course, Oxbridge are definitely more powerful brand than st andrews, but I think st andrews deserves a 3rd position after oxbridge with LSE/Imperial since its entrance level is 5th best and the number of directors of FTSE 100 per number of students is the top in UK.

The thing is, in our world, more people create more power just like China's economy is much more powerful and stronger than Denmark though Denmark has way better GDP per head. And st Andrews has a huge disadvantage from its smallness. less people create less social networks, less publications, less public relations and less money not linearly but 'exponentially'.

But on the other hand, nobody thinks students at st Andrews are stupid like nobody thinks Denmark is poor. Most likely people would think of you as 'a very smart student' if you are from there. And this is the advantage of smallness, which large universities like Edinburgh or Manchester don't have.
Anyone knows anything about management at st andrews? How would u compare it with that of lse :wink: thx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Loretta_8
Anyone knows anything about management at st andrews? How would u compare it with that of lse :wink: thx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Management is quite good at St Andrews, lots of students seem to study it. Only reason I would choose LSE is because of the global brand and on top of that it is located in London which is a huge bonus for recruitment and internships.
Reply 8410
... Do you happen to know any french student stuying IR at St-Andrews ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8411
I applied to IR as an EU/Home student. No reply as of yet...

Even though I applied to pure IR, is it still possible to take economics/business modules? I looked on the website, but all i found was a list of possible IR related modules.
Original post by zettel
I applied to IR as an EU/Home student. No reply as of yet...

Even though I applied to pure IR, is it still possible to take economics/business modules? I looked on the website, but all i found was a list of possible IR related modules.

Yes you have to take 3 subjects in first year and you can swap your degree to IR and economics, should you so desire.
I've applied to St Andrews to study International Relations, I don't meet all the grades but I have Scottish highers and other college qualifications. I've been in the working world for some time now and this has added to my life experience. My personal statement was of a good standard also. Upon reading St Andrews website for information on mature students it does state more than grades is taking into consideration for mature students, does anyone have experience of this situation?
Reply 8414
Hi!

I noticed that the uni internet blocks some things, but is it possible it also blocks Skype? I already saw that they allow the use of Skype, but I cannot make any videocalls. It might be an entirely different problem, but since Skype says it has something to do with the internet connection, I was wondering if this is a known problem with a (hopefully) known solution.

Cheers!
Original post by Giulia_
Hi!

I noticed that the uni internet blocks some things, but is it possible it also blocks Skype? I already saw that they allow the use of Skype, but I cannot make any videocalls. It might be an entirely different problem, but since Skype says it has something to do with the internet connection, I was wondering if this is a known problem with a (hopefully) known solution.

Cheers!

Skype (videocalls) works just fine. So far the only thing I've noticed the internet does block are certain online games (e.g. Steam and LoL both don't work unless you use a VPN - EDIT Well unless they've changed their policy recently. The last time I checked to see if they worked was at the beginning of my first year in September 2012).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kingbradley6
Skype (videocalls) works just fine. So far the only thing I've noticed the internet does block are certain online games (e.g. Steam and LoL both don't work unless you use a VPN - EDIT Well unless they've changed their policy recently. The last time I checked to see if they worked was at the beginning of my first year in September 2012).

Steam was not working for me when I was last in halls (May '13). Curious they block that to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8417
I was just wondering if anyone has any information about the Classics department? I've heard they're rather disorganised? Also are there lots of resources available?
Reply 8418
I have an unconditional for environmental earth science. Was wondering if anyone could give some information about what the lectures are like? Opinions of the course?

Thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8419
Thanks for the replies. I thought I already checked my firewall, but apparently not and it blocked skype....

Latest

Trending

Trending