The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by kbountra
Really happy for Wawrinka- I hope he takes confidence from this win and can push forward to challenge for more majors. In the past he seemed to lack the belief that he could beat the top players but GS wins over Nadal, Djokovic and Murray have proved otherwise. I remember seeing him play live at Wimbledon 08 and thinking this guy is seriously talented! The backhand even then was poetry in motion.

O yeah - nearly forgot that he beat Murray in the US Open as well! He's beaten almost everyone in the Top 10 in a Grand Slam at least once now, what a great effort
Reply 321
I'm still wondering how this new and improved Wawrinka would fare against Federer, now that he is the swiss number 1.
Reply 322
Original post by ubi1
Since Nadal won't Face Djokovic until the final of Wimby. Nole may be beaten by Murray in semis unless Nadal draws Murray again in his half! And Potential Xfactors are Stan,Delpo and Goat!:wink:

Don't forget about Tsonga
Reply 323
Original post by Roger1
I'm still wondering how this new and improved Wawrinka would fare against Federer, now that he is the swiss number 1.

He might fare quite well. I'm not actually sure what might have happened had it been a fully-fit Federer on the other side of the net earlier today - the game of match-ups is quite difficult to comprehend.
(They both met at Indian Wells last year, where Roger won despite having a somewhat stiff back)
So happy for Wawrinka. Yes Nadal wasn't 100%, but Wawrinka still played well enough to have a great chance regardless of the circumstances.
Reply 325
One hidden story through the Australian season is that Hewitt is once again the Australian number 1 and ranked 41. Given that he's only defending two R2 exits during February it's possible he could be seeded by the French.
Reply 326
STAN First in race to London rankings. Nadal won't catch him up until Monte Carlo where the tides will turn back into Rafas favour.
Reply 327
Federer has decided to play in the Davis Cup this week against Serbia! :biggrin: Should be a cracking tie!

Elsewhere, should be interesting to see how Murray plays on clay against the USA and whether Kyle Edmund will play the singles.
I want to work in this Wimbledon championships. If anyone has an experience, how are the hours like? Is it worth it in after the 2 weeks?

Thanks.
Reply 329
This Wimbledon will be really interesting, If Murray wins Wimbledon he will be the undisputed best grass court player in todays era however if Nole wins he it will be his first non hard slam since 2011 US open lol. And if Fed wins he makes Nadal job of surpassing him more Difficult. But if Rafa wins he reinforces the idea of when he's healthy hes the best even on grass! So its going to be really interesting this year!
Reply 330
Original post by ubi1
This Wimbledon will be really interesting, If Murray wins Wimbledon he will be the undisputed best grass court player in todays era however if Nole wins he it will be his first non hard slam since 2011 US open lol. And if Fed wins he makes Nadal job of surpassing him more Difficult. But if Rafa wins he reinforces the idea of when he's healthy hes the best even on grass! So its going to be really interesting this year!

Today's era? Don't think Fed's retired yet.
Reply 331
Original post by Rakas21
Today's era? Don't think Fed's retired yet.

starting from last year or so.:tongue:
Reply 332
Original post by ubi1

Tbh, I don't see Rafa winning another Wimby as it's much more difficult to transition from clay to grass, as you get older. So to win Wimbledon, he would probably have to prioritise it over French open and the clay season, something he will never do, so his chances aren't exactly great.

Murray won't win it this year, as he will probably have a let down or something, as the expectations aren't that high any more, now that he has ended the 77 year wait for a British Wimbledon champion.

The winner would either be Djokovic, Federer or we may have another surprise GS winner like Tsonga or Berdych. That would be awesome.
Reply 333
Looking at the draw, Switzerland have a real chance of winning the Davis Cup this year. No wonder Federer was so quick to jump on board.
Reply 335
Excellent result for Ward there :biggrin:

Down 2-1 in sets and 4-2 in games without having a break point (won second on TB) and breaks querrey five consecutive times to win 6-4 and 6-1 in the last two sets!

GB now 2-0 and baring a miracle for the US likely to progress to play Italy or Argentina.
Original post by kylerfc
Excellent result for Ward there :biggrin:

Down 2-1 in sets and 4-2 in games without having a break point (won second on TB) and breaks querrey five consecutive times to win 6-4 and 6-1 in the last two sets!

GB now 2-0 and baring a miracle for the US likely to progress to play Italy or Argentina.

Yeah it was a fantastic performance from Ward - he was hanging on for most of the match so to turn it around in the final two the way he did against a top player took bravery.

Italy and Argentina are both winnable ties I believe, especially Italy.
Says a lot about how far US Tennis has fallen though. Although I am delighted if we can properly establish ourselves back in the World Group!
Reply 338
I thought he was 4-0 down in the first set?
Reply 339
Original post by Rakas21
I thought he was 4-0 down in the first set?

Yeah if memory serves me correctly he was 5-0 down (lost it 6-1)!

Quick Reply

Latest