The Student Room Group

British Biology Olympiad 2014

Hello!! I am really interested in doing the BBO. I am planning on doing it in 2014 if my Sixth Form lets me. What are some good resources for it? I am doing AQA AS Biology. I have printed off the IBO Spec but is that the same as the BBO? Discuss anything on this thread to do with the BBO and what are you doing to revise for it?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Ooooh, sounds awesome! I might participate when I hit year 12 / 13. Are there any similar competitions for other subjects?
Reply 2
Original post by itsConnor_
Ooooh, sounds awesome! I might participate when I hit year 12 / 13. Are there any similar competitions for other subjects?

Cool! There is, Chemistry Olympiad and Physics, English ... It is hard but what can you expect ahaha. I think you can do them at any age but it is more suitable for AS and A2 Level.
Original post by ShaneBay
Cool! There is, Chemistry Olympiad and Physics, English ... It is hard but what can you expect ahaha. I think you can do them at any age but it is more suitable for AS and A2 Level.
Aha..could you link me to the English one? I couldn't find it!

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 4
BBO syllabus is identical to IBO syllabus (BBO syllabus is given on the UK Biology Competitions website). If you're really keen get your hands on a copy of Campbell biology and read it, or do past papers. Also quickly read the A2 textbook - it's not long!

For a list of Science Olympiads: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Science_Olympiad
Reply 5
Hi there,

I'm in the same position as you. I'm in year 12 doing AS Biology. Mattywooda did suggest reading the AQA Biology book for AS and A2 so, I think its the best way to get an in depth understanding.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Only the 2010 papers are available on the UK Biology Competition website, does anybody have any past papers for other years and also the Round 2 papers?

EDIT: Highly recommend Campbell's Biology (Ninth Edition) for revision. It will not only benefit your revision for the Olympiad but also works very well as a supplementary guide for your A-Level syllabuses.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi,

I'd rather just by an A2 revision guide for my syllabus as it'll help me for next year too. Do you know if the Olympiad is targeted at AS and A2 or just AS?
How does the Biology Olympiad work? Do you have to get a certain mark on round 1 to go onto round 2?
Reply 9
Original post by JamesBlakeBMX
How does the Biology Olympiad work? Do you have to get a certain mark on round 1 to go onto round 2?

I think so!

And not many people win anything judging from the published results
Reply 10
Original post by ps1265A
Hi,

I'd rather just by an A2 revision guide for my syllabus as it'll help me for next year too. Do you know if the Olympiad is targeted at AS and A2 or just AS?

Targeted at A2, but that naturally includes AS stuff, and a little logic too.

Original post by JamesBlakeBMX

The top ~100 go into round 2, so the pass mark changes year on year but I believe usually around 60%.

Original post by Vodka
Only the 2010 papers are available on the UK Biology Competition website, does anybody have any past papers for other years and also the Round 2 papers?

EDIT: Highly recommend Campbell's Biology (Ninth Edition) for revision. It will not only benefit your revision for the Olympiad but also works very well as a supplementary guide for your A-Level syllabuses.

Campbell is the book for the Olympiad, but not really expected for the first round. I only ever found an 2009 paper, but no answers to it.
Reply 11
Original post by Vodka

Hey! :smile: I suppose it could be worth looking at some of the International Olympiad papers; I saw there were a load of them uploaded somewhere. I mean, they'll be beyond the sort of level we're looking at, but it's a better resource than nothing, and if anything, it prepares you for the harder questions!
Reply 12
Original post by hen4r
Hey! :smile: I suppose it could be worth looking at some of the International Olympiad papers; I saw there were a load of them uploaded somewhere. I mean, they'll be beyond the sort of level we're looking at, but it's a better resource than nothing, and if anything, it prepares you for the harder questions!

Thanks and yup most of the papers can be found on the IBO website. http://www.ibo-info.org/ibo-results-and-awards
Also hoping to do the Biology Olympiad :smile:
Reply 14
ditto
Reply 15
I'm doing this again. :smile: I did it last year and got a silver.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Claree
I'm doing this again. :smile: I did it last year and got a silver.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What year were you in when you got Silver? And how did you revise?
Reply 17
Original post by ps1265A
What year were you in when you got Silver? And how did you revise?

I was in Y12. :smile: I looked at the syllabus on the website and looked up anything I hadn't heard of. I also did the past paper on the website and looked up what I didn't know, and I read through a revision guide for the rest of the AS course that we hadn't yet covered and for the A2 course.
Reply 18
Original post by Claree
I was in Y12. :smile: I looked at the syllabus on the website and looked up anything I hadn't heard of. I also did the past paper on the website and looked up what I didn't know, and I read through a revision guide for the rest of the AS course that we hadn't yet covered and for the A2 course.

Wow, did you do AQA for Biology? I'm in year 12 as well! Do you think buying the A2 book is worth it - in terms of the syllabus and exam content?
Reply 19
Original post by ps1265A
Wow, did you do AQA for Biology? I'm in year 12 as well! Do you think buying the A2 book is worth it - in terms of the syllabus and exam content?

I do AQA Biology. :smile: I happened to have already bought a cgp A2 revision guide as it was cheaper to buy them all at once. I didn't get an actual textbook because I only spent a couple of evenings preparing as was never going to manage to learn the whole syllabus!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending