The Student Room Group

What Revision Techniques do you use?

What would you guys say are the best revision techniques to help retain and remember information. My favourite types are the psychological/memory ones that help you remember or make links in your head so you can remember better without too much effort on your behalf:

Here are some of mine:

Listening to a song that I like during revision and remembering topics by thinking about that song

Memory techniques, like loci or memory palaces and linking stuff in my head by making up weird stories or even songs

Sticking stuff in random places so I see them during day to day activities

What are yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Making notes...
Reply 2
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Making notes...

Too mainstream :colone:

I haven't ever made notes outside of class, guess it doesn't work for me :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by majmuh24
What would you guys say are the best revision techniques to help retain and remember information. My favourite types are the psychological/memory ones that help you remember or make links in your head so you can remember better without too much effort on your behalf:

Here are some of mine:

Listening to a song that I like during revision and remembering topics by thinking about that song

Memory techniques, like loci or memory palaces and linking stuff in my head by making up weird stories or even songs

Sticking stuff in random places so I see them during day to day activities

What are yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine is a mixture of Nazi-like repetition, note-making, and some visualization/making arbitrary links between things I already know. :holmes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Zen-Ali
[Indent]Mine is a mixture of Nazi-like repetition, note-making, and some visualization/making arbitrarily links between things I already know. :holmes:[/Indent]

Guess which song I always listen to to help me revise (every time I revise, I listen to it a couple of times during) :colone:

I always hear someone saying something from it at school, so it always makes me think back to my work :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Flashcards!!!!!
Reply 6
Watch videos
Reply 7
Guess which song I always listen to to help me revise (every time I revise, I listen to it a couple of times during) :colone:

Hint

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op56AizVYPE :holmes:

I sometimes listen to classical; specifically, Beethoven's 5th Symphony, his Moonlight Sonata, sometimes Vivaldi's four seasons, and some compiled music from Mozart. :biggrin:

Otherwise, I listen to this: :holmes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch_5_x1IUA8

So heavy. :holmes:
man listens to drum and bass to revise
Reply 9
Original post by Zen-Ali
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op56AizVYPE :holmes:

I sometimes listen to classical; specifically, Beethoven's 5th Symphony, his Moonlight Sonata, sometimes Vivaldi's four seasons, and some compiled music from Mozart. :biggrin:

Otherwise, I listen to this: :holmes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch_5_x1IUA8

So heavy. :holmes:

Jheeze, guess you would make a good detective :holmes: Every time someone says Jheeze at my school, it makes me think about my revision :tongue:

I don't really check out that much classical stuff except piano versions of anime/video game songs, like the piano version of Aerith's theme :coma:

Ah, I preferred In Silico, but apparently Pendulum are releasing a new album this year :teeth:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by weststainesmasif
man listens to drum and bass to revise

Dunknoe, do you listen to this song by any chance (I love DNB as well :biggrin:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL2Bgj-za5k&feature=kp

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Jheeze, guess you would make a good detective :holmes: Every time someone says Jheeze at my school, it makes me think about my revision :tongue:

I don't really check out that much classical stuff except piano versions of anime/video game songs, like the piano version of Aerith's theme :coma:

Ah, I preferred In Silico, but apparently Pendulum are releasing a new album this year :teeth:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps. :holmes: But kind sir, your clues were more than sufficient. :holmes:

You definitely should—try Tchaikovsky; he's one of my favourites.

Ah, I only discovered them a week or so ago, I'll have to check out their other stuff, too. :holmes:
I usually make mindmaps or songs or whatever but once I've learnt it and if it's quick facts I go outside and shoot baskets and for every basket I make I say one fact, it works for me :smile:
Dunknoe, do you listen to this song by any chance (I love DNB as well :biggrin:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL2Bgj-za5k&feature=kp

Posted from TSR Mobile

shut up g
Too mainstream :colone:

I haven't ever made notes outside of class, guess it doesn't work for me :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, if it's not broken why change it? Don't think it matches this context, but I find it allows me to recap info well.
YouTube videos
Original post by weststainesmasif
shut up g

Don't beg it.
Original post by AlphaNick
I make notes and then store them in my mind.
Not even joking, I have every GCSE I study except for English Literature in my head. I have an amazing memory.

I can recall any tiny detail from all of my subjects simply because I can recreate the thought process I went through.

Cool, do you have a photographic memory then? I would say that I can remember things well, but nowhere near that level :tongue:
Reply 18
make flash cards, then teach it to someone else (my parents are unusually knowledgeable on gcse topics :rolleyes:) I also seem to remember quite a lot from just reading stuff?
I put it into a song, haha. I remember I used a mnemonic once to remember the pros and cons of voting systems and that worked well too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending