The Student Room Group

8s and 9s in Year 11 mocks.

Hi, I am currently in year 11 and have my mocks in 6 weeks. What should i do to get these grades assuming im alr on 7s but haven’t started properly revising? (PLEASE HELP IM ACC CRYING)
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by revvvv
Hi, I am currently in year 11 and have my mocks in 6 weeks. What should i do to get these grades assuming im alr on 7s but haven’t started properly revising? (PLEASE HELP IM ACC CRYING)

You stop crying and start properly revising.

When are your mocks? Do you know what revision techniques work well for you? Do you know your strong and weak areas per subject? Have you started doing past papers yet?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You stop crying and start properly revising.

When are your mocks? Do you know what revision techniques work well for you? Do you know your strong and weak areas per subject? Have you started doing past papers yet?

They start the first week of January. For sciences I normally do blurting but I lose marks on exam technique and for maths I just practice. With English I just look through the quotes and do loads of practice. For computing I normally crammed everything but I want to make flashcards now but I am not sure if i have time. For history I am making flashcards and starting essay questions and for Spanish I normally just do vocab and to practice grammar I try writing it out. I dont really know what to revise like do I do it in order of the topics or some other way?
I have not started past papers because I have not revises information yet but am i meant to?
Original post by revvvv
They start the first week of January. For sciences I normally do blurting but I lose marks on exam technique and for maths I just practice. With English I just look through the quotes and do loads of practice. For computing I normally crammed everything but I want to make flashcards now but I am not sure if i have time. For history I am making flashcards and starting essay questions and for Spanish I normally just do vocab and to practice grammar I try writing it out. I dont really know what to revise like do I do it in order of the topics or some other way?
I have not started past papers because I have not revises information yet but am i meant to?

So basically
Science: your best friends starting from today is the Cognito website and freesciencelessons guy from YouTube. Use the website to learn the content (what I did was start with the topic which i found the hardest and learn its content) and use freesciencelessons as you wish (i mainly used him to revise for the required practicles and other stuff)

Don't forget to do your past exam question after you finished the topics in Cognito, even if you finished subtopics doing the exam questions really helps to reinforce the information in your brain and help develop exam techniques. (you dont have to do a whole exam paper, just search up exam questions related to that one particular topic)

Maths: you can use Cognito for this but i personally think its a waste of time, i used past exam papers to practice (use ExamQ to find specific questions) and if you dont understand a question you can always just search the paper up on youtube and watch a a guy explaining the whole paper.

English: use youtube for this, MrEverythingEnglish is absolutely amazing, watch his past GCSE live streams which includes mostly the vital stuff u need but also some unqiue stuff (idk if they are still there), but his videos in general are super useful. Also use MrSalles he is good as well. Do practice questions and get them marked by your teacher, ask for feedback!!!!

History: i really dont know how i got through this subject but do exam questions and get them marked by your teacher.

Im not too sure about the rest, plus i dont know much about flashcards as i didnt use them a lot. But stay consistent with your revision (do 2-3 hours a day if possible, but everyone has their own sweet-spot with revision time) and get some sleep!

btw im not suggesting these are the only revision methods that you should use, use this as a base to create a combination which suits you and gets you your 9s.

Hopefully this helped! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by revvvv

For English Language and Literature, Mr Bruff on YouTube is the best resource out there. Mrs Whelan is great and Mr Salles has some useful insights but I would stay right away from Mr everything English. He doesn’t really know what he’s on about.
Reply 5
Original post by Hopefully Smart
So basically
Science: your best friends starting from today is the Cognito website and freesciencelessons guy from YouTube. Use the website to learn the content (what I did was start with the topic which i found the hardest and learn its content) and use freesciencelessons as you wish (i mainly used him to revise for the required practicles and other stuff)

Don't forget to do your past exam question after you finished the topics in Cognito, even if you finished subtopics doing the exam questions really helps to reinforce the information in your brain and help develop exam techniques. (you dont have to do a whole exam paper, just search up exam questions related to that one particular topic)

Maths: you can use Cognito for this but i personally think its a waste of time, i used past exam papers to practice (use ExamQ to find specific questions) and if you dont understand a question you can always just search the paper up on youtube and watch a a guy explaining the whole paper.

English: use youtube for this, MrEverythingEnglish is absolutely amazing, watch his past GCSE live streams which includes mostly the vital stuff u need but also some unqiue stuff (idk if they are still there), but his videos in general are super useful. Also use MrSalles he is good as well. Do practice questions and get them marked by your teacher, ask for feedback!!!!

History: i really dont know how i got through this subject but do exam questions and get them marked by your teacher.

Im not too sure about the rest, plus i dont know much about flashcards as i didnt use them a lot. But stay consistent with your revision (do 2-3 hours a day if possible, but everyone has their own sweet-spot with revision time) and get some sleep!

btw im not suggesting these are the only revision methods that you should use, use this as a base to create a combination which suits you and gets you your 9s.

Hopefully this helped! :smile:

Thank you so much!
I have started revising a bit but am finding it hard to focus rn but I will definitely use your tips. Hopefully all goes well 🤞
Original post by revvvv

how was it?

Quick Reply

Latest