The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Affliction
Places mean how many seats are allocated to the cohort of students for that year, they have to make more offers than there are places as some people don't meet the conditions or choose another uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3941
Hello :smile:
Does anyone know which medical schools give an advantage to people with achieved A2s?

Are there any who give an advantage to applicants with say A*AA rather than AAA, so more than the entry requirements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy_95
Hello :smile:
Does anyone know which medical schools give an advantage to people with achieved A2s?

Are there any who give an advantage to applicants with say A*AA rather than AAA, so more than the entry requirements?

Posted from TSR Mobile

St Andrews, Aberdeen and Leicester. I've rung up pretty much all the medical schools and many of them don't really give those with achieved grades any more preference than those with predicted. A few unis will prefer/require the A* such as Bham, Exeter, Plymouth and the ones I mentioned at the start, but again, not many of them do unfortunately.

However this is for 2014 entry and may change for next year!
Well, rejected by Durham because of UKCAT. I could have risked applying to Cambridge after all!
Oh well, really really hope I'll get into Barts. Although the interview went ok but I don't feel very confident T_T.
Reply 3944
Original post by XingBairong
Well, rejected by Durham because of UKCAT. I could have risked applying to Cambridge after all!
Oh well, really really hope I'll get into Barts. Although the interview went ok but I don't feel very confident T_T.

sorry to hear it dude, when will Barts get back to you n you got any offers?
Think it's normal to not feel confident tbh doesn't have a bearing on how well you did just got to wait it out :redface:
Original post by richtea5
sorry to hear it dude, when will Barts get back to you n you got any offers?
Think it's normal to not feel confident tbh doesn't have a bearing on how well you did just got to wait it out :redface:

Thanks mate.
And no, not even from my back up lol (UCL biomed).
But still waiting for post interview decision from St George's and Barts.
St George's in 2 weeks, Bart's by the end of March. Got St Andrew's interview this Thurs and will have to wait till end of March after that. So I can't rest in peace till then :L
Reply 3946
Thanks mate.
And no, not even from my back up lol (UCL biomed).
But still waiting for post interview decision from St George's and Barts.
St George's in 2 weeks, Bart's by the end of March. Got St Andrew's interview this Thurs and will have to wait till end of March after that. So I can't rest in peace till then :L

Sounds like you've really got the best chances, just go to make the most of on the interview days. Don't let this one get you down just make the most of you're next interview - i've not got any offers yet so you're not alone on that front
Sounds like you've really got the best chances, just go to make the most of on the interview days. Don't let this one get you down just make the most of you're next interview - i've not got any offers yet so you're not alone on that front

I second this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your support dude!
Where have you applied?
Reply 3949
Thanks for your support dude!
Where have you applied?

no probs is the good thing bout these threads sometimes :P i've gone for Leicester (got leicester interview tomorrow) and had interview at HYMS.. other than that i applied Glasgow and Southampton - expecting bad news from these two tho
no probs is the good thing bout these threads sometimes :P i've gone for Leicester (got leicester interview tomorrow) and had interview at HYMS.. other than that i applied Glasgow and Southampton - expecting bad news from these two tho

Well, very good luck!
Seems like you love PBL mate!

And you never know about those 2! My friend thought he got rejected by King's but got interview invitation yesterday!
I'm going to Glasgow today (en route to St Andrew). I'll beat them up for you if they rejected you :wink:.
Reply 3951
Well, very good luck!
Seems like you love PBL mate!

And you never know about those 2! My friend thought he got rejected by King's but got interview invitation yesterday!
I'm going to Glasgow today (en route to St Andrew). I'll beat them up for you if they rejected you :wink:.

haha thanks, true dat :smile:
Reply 3952
Original post by Philippamalko
have any reapplicants got 'normal' jobs like not healthcare related for their gap year?

Yes i work in retail! And i have an offer! :smile: its a completely different experience to what you already have through volunteering and work placement but it is dedinitely character building

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hl7495
Yes i work in retail! And i have an offer! :smile: its a completely different experience to what you already have through volunteering and work placement but it is dedinitely character building

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was working in retail for the first part of my gap year and it certainly prepares you for working with difficult people haha, I've got an offer too so just proves you don't actually need a healthcare job for your gap year :smile:
Original post by Obaidiio
Got an offer from Southampton! This gap year was totally worth it :smile:

Congrats again man!! All those skype sessions were worth it :cool:
Reply 3955
First unconditional through, don't think I've ever felt so relieved or ecstatic! #gapyahpower

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lecamel
First unconditional through, don't think I've ever felt so relieved or ecstatic! #gapyahpower

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats!! :smile:
What uni is it for?
Interviews are over and done with!! Woooo!
St Andrew interview today was very nice and relaxed!!!

Now the waiting game starts :L
Interviews are over and done with!! Woooo!
St Andrew interview today was very nice and relaxed!!!

Now the waiting game starts :L

Congrats on the interviews. I know the feeling as well :smile:

Where have you applied other than St Andrews?
Original post by lecamel

Congrats on the offer :biggrin: You can relax for the rest of your gap yah!

Where is the offer from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending