The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr.Ugs
Hey :smile: do you mind telling me a little about what happens there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

DO you want to send me a pm and I can go through in a little more detail. Anything particularly you will want to know?
Original post by Amyk89
DO you want to send me a pm and I can go through in a little more detail. Anything particularly you will want to know?

shareshareshareshareshare
Original post by ameelia22
shareshareshareshareshare

Lol ok
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Anyone ever had experience in critical care? I have been offered a job as a trainee clinical support worker and have no idea what to expect! (On HDU and ICU)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok so I will go through the basics as I am not sure how much you guys know... apologies if any are too basic.
ITU is one nurse per patient, with that nurse taking full care of that patient. These are the poorliest patients and will normally be attached to numerous ivs, monitors and respiratory aids(they could be ventilated, or have non invasive ventilation). Many could be sedated. HDU is one nurse per two patients. These are unwell patients but slightly more stable.. or a step down from ITU before the wards... or step up from wards without being sick enough for one on one care.

The support workers where I had my placements had numerous tasks. They would assist the nurses if a second pair of hands was needed to roll/help with adls etc. They would monitor stock levels and help keep the stock room neat and full. They would hand out meals if any patients were well enough to be eating.

A friend who I used to work with went to a hdu last year in a similar sort of role. She found the staff were very willing to help her and teach her. I am sure if you explain that you're a med applicant/about to start in september(I am not sure where you're up to Dr.Uggs) then it would be an absolutely amazing teaching and learning experience. (Even if the staff don't particularly want to teach you the amount you would see would be extremely worthwhile). It is very different from the wards, there is less patient interaction and pressures in different ways but I would go for it!
(edited 10 years ago)
Is anyone else finding HCA work a little boring now...feel like they need a change? hmm. But maybe that's because I just survived 3 consecutive night shifts, where I was only assigned to one patient as part of 1 to 1 care. She literally slept the entire night! While I was stuck alone in the dark by her bedside....listening to her snore for 12, yes you heard right, 12 hours. I think I will need to call 999 as I'm currently suffering from boredom. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH
Reply 4064
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Is anyone else finding HCA work a little boring now...feel like they need a change? hmm. But maybe that's because I just survived 3 consecutive night shifts, where I was only assigned to one patient as part of 1 to 1 care. She literally slept the entire night! While I was stuck alone in the dark by her bedside....listening to her snore for 12, yes you heard right, 12 hours. I think I will need to call 999 as I'm currently suffering from boredom. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

Dittttoooooo SO repetitive. And yep nightshifts are boredom + want to sleep = torture. It's a bit late in the year to get another job though, cos I want to quit in May/June. Unless it's waitressing or something like that. 'S ok, give it another few months :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anyone wants to see a meltdown head over the the rejection thread, aniaa (who we've had discussions about before) is on top top form....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4066
Original post by callummj6747
If anyone wants to see a meltdown head over the the rejection thread, aniaa (who we've had discussions about before) is on top top form....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I cannot believe her...just had a bit of a rant...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you link it plz :smile: don't wanna miss out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4068
Original post by Dr. Aco Malfoy
Can you link it plz :smile: don't wanna miss out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2523354
Medicine 2014 rejection thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4069
Jesus her again? Can't say I'm surprised, had a big rant with her a few weeks back...her attitude is shell-shocking.

Just mind-blowing.
I don't know, I'd like to think that she's just angry and bitter about rejections but there's so much foul language, immaturity and angst. :rolleyes:
Original post by PG593
The one also opening up at Buckingham university is at a similar cost with an estimated...wait for it...'£157,000' debt from the tuition fees alone.

Unless you have Jedi powers ('you will lower the fees' :colone:) or are some kind of bounty hunter on the side, it seems silly esp. when their A level requirements are the same for others med schools (AAA first sitting).

Why put yourself in such a financial pickle?

The only realistic kind of people this could attract are the most desperate, richest families around (both internationally and nationally), though money certainly won't bring in the qualities of a potential good doctor. I wonder the kind of reputation it will hold in a few years when the 1st cohort of students graduate from there.

At the end of the day IMO, getting into medicine should be earned on merit, experience and passion...not to bought by being daddy's little princess. The whole degree just loses its credibility.

It does all seem a bit odd.
Usually the 'upper-class' families will put their little darlings through private schooling/grammar schooling and by the time they reach sixth form they have already spent weeks upon weeks shadowing the best doctors and doing the most interesting foreign volunteer placements. Why waste money on places like UCLAN (which doesn't have much prestige really) when their children have a pretty fantastic chance of getting into some of the best medical schools around?
Reply 4072
Original post by PocketMerlin
It does all seem a bit odd.
Usually the 'upper-class' families will put their little darlings through private schooling/grammar schooling and by the time they reach sixth form they have already spent weeks upon weeks shadowing the best doctors and doing the most interesting foreign volunteer placements. Why waste money on places like UCLAN (which doesn't have much prestige really) when their children have a pretty fantastic chance of getting into some of the best medical schools around?

Yes I agree, I'm curious what they'll be like down the line but for the moment they do sound a bit dodgy.

Well hun this is the month we've been waiting for, fingers crossed :cool:
Remember it costs the NHS £50k a year per student through medical school, the £9k a year (or £3.5k I will pay (welsh) or nothing (fu Scotland)) is nothing compared to what it should cost, private unis have to charge this because they are not subbed by the gov, if the GMC have approved the course then it's legal and they have to admit to a strict policy laid out by the gmc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PG593
Yes I agree, I'm curious what they'll be like down the line but for the moment they do sound a bit dodgy.

Well hun this is the month we've been waiting for, fingers crossed :cool:

Haha, it's exciting isn't it, it's almost like Judgement Day, but real. :biggrin:
Original post by callummj6747
Remember it costs the NHS £50k a year per student through medical school, the £9k a year (or £3.5k I will pay (welsh) or nothing (fu Scotland)) is nothing compared to what it should cost, private unis have to charge this because they are not subbed by the gov, if the GMC have approved the course then it's legal and they have to admit to a strict policy laid out by the gmc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is true, but the £35,000 charge per year for tuition alone won't be attracting any talented working class/middle class kids. I just question the type of doctors who may graduate from these places due to the applicant pool being smaller. If the GMC have approved it, then the course may be good, but as people have said, we'll have to wait and see what comes out of it I guess. :biggrin:
So jealous of your £3,500 tuition fees though (and your KCL offer). :frown:
Reply 4076
Original post by PocketMerlin
Haha, it's exciting isn't it, it's almost like Judgement Day, but real. :biggrin:

I know! My blood pressure has sky-rocketed the past few days hehe :biggrin: Had a GP appointment and it was 140/90 :O

Slightly off topic here but has anyone been following the Oscar Pistorius case lately?

If so, what are your thoughts on it, do you think this intruder was real or do you think he shot his girlfriend in a moment of madness or do you have perhaps another theory?

I could never be a defence lawyer, it's horrible to see them trying to intimidate witnesses in court, it's like seeing a malicious theatrical performance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4077
Original post by PG593
I know! My blood pressure has sky-rocketed the past few days hehe :biggrin: Had a GP appointment and it was 140/90 :O

Slightly off topic here but has anyone been following the Oscar Pistorius case lately?

If so, what are your thoughts on it, do you think this intruder was real or do you think he shot his girlfriend in a moment of madness or do you have perhaps another theory?

I could never be a defence lawyer, it's horrible to see them trying to intimidate witnesses in court, it's like seeing a malicious theatrical performance.

His beaviour in the parlympics towards other people blades was quite childish so i can imagine his temper is quite unpredictable and when hes shown on tv he seems to have no remorse and a bit d out of it... has anyone else noticed?

I dont think he intentionally killed her otherwise he wouldve been clever his story seems dodgy though i cant get my head round him beeing in the bathroom if it was an intruder surely his priority wouldve been to see if she was safe if he woke up and she wasnt next to him? I get very confused haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4078
Original post by hl7495
His beaviour in the parlympics towards other people blades was quite childish so i can imagine his temper is quite unpredictable and when hes shown on tv he seems to have no remorse and a bit d out of it... has anyone else noticed?

I dont think he intentionally killed her otherwise he wouldve been clever his story seems dodgy though i cant get my head round him beeing in the bathroom if it was an intruder surely his priority wouldve been to see if she was safe if he woke up and she wasnt next to him? I get very confused haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, each part of his story is so suspicious, I'd be shocked if the jury did not find him guilty especially when the witnesses are so firm in their accounts of that night.
Original post by hl7495

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree especially with your point in the last paragraph, it's absolutely unintelligent to shoot at a door assuming that an intruder is inside when your girlfriend also happens to be missing from your side, because obviously it could be either.
You also have the fact that he said that he wasn't wearing his prosthetics when he went to 'attack the intruder' in the bathroom, and yet apparently the bullet trajectory indicated that it would have been shot downwards, from a certain height (i.e, he must have been wearing his prosthetics).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending