The Student Room Group

AS Government and Politics Edexcel!

Hello guys, I am studying AS Government and politics with the examining board Edexcel. The first Unit is People and politics and the second unit is Governing the UK. There is 4 topics per unit my teacher had told me lot of students only revise 2 topics per unit as you only answer 2 questions but she said this is risky as if a difficult question comes up I will be stuck. I have decided to revise Elections and Pressure Groups for unit 1. And for the 2nd unit I am revising Parliament and The prime minister and Cabinet. Is this a stupid idea? Or should I revise 3topics each? I am so confused! Any advice I will appreciate plus if anyone has notes they would kindly pass into me for unit 2 I would be very grateful thankyou!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No no no
I did it last year (got 196/200)
Do not just revise two! Especially for unit 2 as it leaves you know question choice
Unit 2 leave out judiciary and do the other 3 unit 1 defo do democracy as if links with all the other topics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Cameron.M
No no no
Do not just revise two! Especially for unit 2 as it leaves you know question choice
Unit 2 leave out judiciary and do the other 3 unit 1 defo do democracy as if links with all the other topics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh im in a similar situation....I was thinking of leaving out judiciary....

any tips for the exam? like what to revise and how to?!?
Reply 3
No no no

Posted from TSR Mobile

WOW your marks are amazing how did you manage to achieve such high marks? Also, thanks for the reply!
Reply 4
Original post by Yube321
WOW your marks are amazing how did you manage to achieve such high marks? Also, thanks for the reply!

doing the exam as well

have you started revising?
I'd say learn 3 topics in each of the units.

Unit 1 I left out Party policies
Unit 2 I left out judiciary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by xxvine
doing the exam as well

have you started revising?

Hello, I haven't started revising as I'm still writing my notes (I revise really weird) what about you?
Reply 7
Original post by Yube321
Hello, I haven't started revising as I'm still writing my notes (I revise really weird) what about you?

same man, writing notes...
when do you hope to have your notes finished by? How do you revise...like what technique do you use?
Reply 8
Original post by xxvine
same man, writing notes...
when do you hope to have your notes finished by? How do you revise...like what technique do you use?

I have a problem where it takes me a VERY long time to memorise something so I have to constantly go over one sentence until it is drilled into my head then I would revise another sentence but after 10mins or so I will make sure the stuff I have revised before that I still remember it so I jot it down. Sounds quite complex but it's the only technique that works for me. I've been slacking in terms of writing notes etc and it hit me yesterday time is short so I need to make sure ALL unit 1 politics notes are finished by this week. Then I will type them up. I revise better from typed up stuff as I can't revise from my own handwriting it just don't seem real lol. I still have Unit2 notes to do aswell. once I'm finished politics notes I will be very very happy. What about you? and what topics have you picked?
Reply 9
Original post by MalteseMalteser
I'd say learn 3 topics in each of the units.

Unit 1 I left out Party policies
Unit 2 I left out judiciary

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is exactly what I was thinking and will do thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by Yube321
I have a problem where it takes me a VERY long time to memorise something so I have to constantly go over one sentence until it is drilled into my head then I would revise another sentence but after 10mins or so I will make sure the stuff I have revised before that I still remember it so I jot it down. Sounds quite complex but it's the only technique that works for me. I've been slacking in terms of writing notes etc and it hit me yesterday time is short so I need to make sure ALL unit 1 politics notes are finished by this week. Then I will type them up. I revise better from typed up stuff as I can't revise from my own handwriting it just don't seem real lol. I still have Unit2 notes to do aswell. once I'm finished politics notes I will be very very happy. What about you? and what topics have you picked?

Left out party politics for unit 1....too much to learn and judiciary for unit 2.
I kinda write notes, keep reading them and make posters or flash cards and then past papers....
Make sure you do past papers yeah!
Original post by xxvine
Left out party politics for unit 1....too much to learn and judiciary for unit 2.
I kinda write notes, keep reading them and make posters or flash cards and then past papers....
Make sure you do past papers yeah!

We left out Party Politics because the college didn't want to teach it to us. That's mainly because for everyone who sat that topic, the highest marks for it were D's because people found it too confusing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by MalteseMalteser
We left out Party Politics because the college didn't want to teach it to us. That's mainly because for everyone who sat that topic, the highest marks for it were D's because people found it too confusing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

aye aye lol. Its too much to learn and it does sound confusing....Thatcherrism, Milibands Labour party....argh lol
Reply 13
It's not that much to learn! Although I agree leave out judiciary because parties is the topic that most don't do you usually get a v easy question on it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
It's not that much to learn! Although I agree leave out judiciary because parties is the topic that most don't do you usually get a v easy question on it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'ce decided to do Democracy, Elections and pressure groups for unit 1. And for unit 2 Constitution, Parliament and The prime minister and the cabinet. Thanks for your help guys 😃
Reply 15
Just wanted to say for the last question in the Exam I think it's 25 marks. How would you write it? We were told an intro - 4Points - conclusion?
Original post by Yube321
Just wanted to say for the last question in the Exam I think it's 25 marks. How would you write it? We were told an intro - 4Points - conclusion?

Into
3 points for
3 points against
Conclusion

You can use more than 3 points if you have time, or even do a 4:2 points ratio.
Don't forget to include evidence such as statistics to back up your points

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Just reading this was helpful.
I had my mocks last two weeks and I got an A in Unit 1 but I failed unit 2, So I need to really start revision.
Reply 18
Original post by chisom1
Just reading this was helpful.
I had my mocks last two weeks and I got an A in Unit 1 but I failed unit 2, So I need to really start revision.

you started revising yet?
Reply 19
Original post by xxvine
you started revising yet?

Yep. For government. What other subjects are you taking ?

Quick Reply

Latest