The Student Room Group

a small undeveloped country with active volcano?

hey guys!

first of all, i want to say sorry if i ask in the wrong section. if anyone could tell me where i should've asked this question instead, i would appreciate it very much :biggrin:

so, i wanted to know what country that has an active volcano, one that can erupt at any second? and if possible, with a small village near the location. I'm writing something and i really need this information. I'm even still trying to find other facts like which country still has mountain bandits and stuff, or a village or area in an undeveloped country that has some kind of a sickness/plague problems. well, if you know any of those, it would really be appreciated! thank you!
Reply 1
Check out Montserrat
Reply 2
Hmm did a geography case study on Mt Nyiragongo in the DRC (i think!) and I know Madagascar actually had an outbreak of the bubonic plague a while back.
Reply 3
Original post by redferry
Check out Montserrat

thanks man! i really appreciate it!

Original post by Paralove
Hmm did a geography case study on Mt Nyiragongo in the DRC (i think!) and I know Madagascar actually had an outbreak of the bubonic plague a while back.

i googled nyiragongo and read a few articles. its perfect!
i can't found whether there is a village nearby though, do you know anything about that?
and about the bubonic plague, its also really good :biggrin: right now I'm trying to find an article that actually said how people can help. i dont know whether people are actually allowed to go to a village with bubonic plague and "help" as a volunteer in any way they can though :|

if anyone knows a small country (doesn't have to be small, actually) with something like bandits in the mountains still lurking around, like in the story of Walter Mitty, please tell me! thank you!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by azkarthur
thanks man! i really appreciate it!

i googled nyiragongo and read a few articles. its perfect!
i can't found whether there is a village nearby though, do you know anything about that?
and about the bubonic plague, its also really good :biggrin: right now I'm trying to find an article that actually said how people can help. i dont know whether people are actually allowed to go to a village with bubonic plague and "help" as a volunteer in any way they can though :|

if anyone knows a small country (doesn't have to be small, actually) with something like bandits in the mountains still lurking around, like in the story of Walter Mitty, please tell me! thank you!

It isn't a small village but there was the town of Goma nearby. And i honestly have no idea, the plague is highly infectious so it's difficult without rigorous health and safety procedures.
Reply 5
It isn't a small village but there was the town of Goma nearby. And i honestly have no idea, the plague is highly infectious so it's difficult without rigorous health and safety procedures.

is the town of Goma affected by the past volcano eruption? oh btw, sorry for troubling you man!
okay, then right now I'm still finding a country with actual bandits on mountain area, and a small village with plagues or anything that will need activist's help :biggrin:
Reply 6
is the town of Goma affected by the past volcano eruption? oh btw, sorry for troubling you man!
okay, then right now I'm still finding a country with actual bandits on mountain area, and a small village with plagues or anything that will need activist's help :biggrin:

Yep!! The Jan 2002 eruption gave them 10-15mins to escape the lava of the volcano, which is the fastest flowing in the world - up to 90kmph I think. And that eruption destroyed around a third of the whole town. :smile:
Reply 7
Yep!! The Jan 2002 eruption gave them 10-15mins to escape the lava of the volcano, which is the fastest flowing in the world - up to 90kmph I think. And that eruption destroyed around a third of the whole town. :smile:

thank you so much man! i really appreciate it. umm can you tell me on which part of this forum i can ask about snake bites and about treating it with plants or fruits?
Reply 8
thank you so much man! i really appreciate it. umm can you tell me on which part of this forum i can ask about snake bites and about treating it with plants or fruits?

I would go for the health section - seeing as it's about medical treatment!
Reply 9
I would go for the health section - seeing as it's about medical treatment!

okay, thank you!
Reply 10
i would suggest my nyiragongo in the DRC cause there are lots of issues there concerning the political instability and rebel groups that control the slopes of the volcano preventing much of the scientific monitoring. i wrote an article on my blog about this volcano which might help you: http://wp.me/p3CE7l-cH
montserrat will also be good for a general poorer country example

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending