The Student Room Group

A question A-level sciences and further maths

Greetings everyone,

I had to choose my A-level subjects a week ago and I have chosen Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths because I love these subjects...obviously.

I am changing school after my IGCSE exams for Sixth Form and I have a concern on these subjects.

My current school is very small that it only offers Maths, and no Additional Maths. They only offer Coordinated Science (Three sciences put together, and you get two grades) and not triple sciences. However, my next school apparently offers Additional Maths and Triple Science in GCSE. So I was wondering if I would be able to keep up with the classes at my new school. I bet Coordinated science is less detailed than triple science, and I checked Additional Maths IGCSE paper from CIE (couldn't find free AQA or Edexcel which my next school offers), and I've got no idea how to do the questions on it...I haven't even covered half the stuff...
So will I be able to keep up without Additional maths and triple sciences...?
Original post by C0balt
Greetings everyone,

I had to choose my A-level subjects a week ago and I have chosen Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths because I love these subjects...obviously.

I am changing school after my IGCSE exams for Sixth Form and I have a concern on these subjects.

My current school is very small that it only offers Maths, and no Additional Maths. They only offer Coordinated Science (Three sciences put together, and you get two grades) and not triple sciences. However, my next school apparently offers Additional Maths and Triple Science in GCSE. So I was wondering if I would be able to keep up with the classes at my new school. I bet Coordinated science is less detailed than triple science, and I checked Additional Maths IGCSE paper from CIE (couldn't find free AQA or Edexcel which my next school offers), and I've got no idea how to do the questions on it...I haven't even covered half the stuff...
So will I be able to keep up without Additional maths and triple sciences...?

I chose the same AS levels as you, and I only did Double Science (so only two GCSEs for science) and Mathematics (so only one GCSE for maths).

You'll definitely be able to keep up. I'd recommend getting the "head start to ..." books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=head+start+to+as) as these will help bridge any gaps.

Good luck with any exams. :smile:
Reply 2
You'll be fine. Additional maths is in no way required to do A Level maths/fm, I hadn't even heard of it when I started my A Levels.

The sciences are okay too, you'll go over all of the important stuff at the start of A Level physics/chem.
Reply 3
Original post by rayquaza17
I chose the same AS levels as you, and I only did Double Science (so only two GCSEs for science) and Mathematics (so only one GCSE for maths).

You'll definitely be able to keep up. I'd recommend getting the "head start to ..." books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=head+start+to+as) as these will help bridge any gaps.

Good luck with any exams. :smile:

Oh I know these books, my previous science teacher used to photocopy these :P

Well thanks for the response :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by alow
You'll be fine. Additional maths is in no way required to do A Level maths/fm, I hadn't even heard of it when I started my A Levels.

The sciences are okay too, you'll go over all of the important stuff at the start of A Level physics/chem.

I didn't know additional maths existed until I read the GCSE booklet for my next school haha

Alright thanks :P

Quick Reply

Latest