The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Federer lost. :frown:
Reply 441
A lot of positives for both men out of IW. Federer is back at his best and has proven to his doubters and himself that he can compete with the best and win titles. Djokovic needed this title badly after a disappointing start to 2014 and this win should be a big confidence boost for him
Reply 442
Original post by lizzy95
A lot of positives for both men out of IW. Federer is back at his best and has proven to his doubters and himself that he can compete with the best and win titles. Djokovic needed this title badly after a disappointing start to 2014 and this win should be a big confidence boost for him

Getting to finals also gives Fed some ranking points next year potentially should he go for the win.

Who's in Miami?
Reply 443
Original post by Rakas21
Getting to finals also gives Fed some ranking points next year potentially should he go for the win.

Who's in Miami?

Should be all the top guys although I'm not sure if Delpo is fit for it or not.
Reply 444
Well played Novak and Roger - fantastic final!

Meanwhile, the draws are out for Miami. Here are potential routes for Djokovic and Nadal (by highest seed):

Nadal (1) : Hewitt, Tursunov, Fognini, Del Potro, Wawrinka/Berdych, Djokovic/Federer
Djokovic (2): Monaco/Chardy, Mayer, Robredo/Gulbis, Murray (Tsonga), Federer/Ferrer, Nadal

Pretty balanced draw overall. Federer potentially has Karlovic, Verdasco, Dimitrov and Ferrer before reaching a semifinal against Djokovic
Reply 445
Original post by Krish4791
Well played Novak and Roger - fantastic final!

Meanwhile, the draws are out for Miami. Here are potential routes for Djokovic and Nadal (by highest seed):

Nadal (1) : Hewitt, Tursunov, Fognini, Del Potro, Wawrinka/Berdych, Djokovic/Federer
Djokovic (2): Monaco/Chardy, Mayer, Robredo/Gulbis, Murray (Tsonga), Federer/Ferrer, Nadal

Pretty balanced draw overall. Federer potentially has Karlovic, Verdasco, Dimitrov and Ferrer before reaching a semifinal against Djokovic

Definitely a balanced draw, another final which might not feature one of the top two/ both
Reply 446
Andy Murray and Lendl have split up. They say it's mutual but reading the story it sounds like Lendl made the decision to concentrate on his own projects and there's pretty much no reason for Andy to want to let him go, especially at this time when he needs him more than ever. How unfortunate

http://www.andymurray.com/news-and-blog/andy-murray-and-ivan-lendl-announce-that-they-have-mutually-agreed-to-end-their-two-year-coaching/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 447
Shame about this news, though sounds as if Lendl wasn't willing to travel round etc so probably the best decision. I think Murray will take time to appoint his new coach, will be very interesting to see who it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 448
Big shame that Lendl is no longer available to coach Murray, he was definitely a revelation for him. Seems like Murray's now in the same situation as Djokovic in terms of having to end a great coach-player partnership. Interesting to see who Murray goes for
Reply 449
I think it's understandable. Lendl came in not only to add an extra dimension to Murray's game, but also to help him over the hurdle and win his first Slam. Lendl watching Murray win Wimbledon last year was probably the icing on the cake.
This year, things are different - Andy is in a different phase of his career, having returned from injury. It's about time for both to move on, IMO - best of luck to them!
Reply 450
So yesterday Jarko Nieminen won the fastest ever ATP Tour match, defeating Tomic 60 61 in 28 minutes and 20 seconds.

I've always liked Nieminen, don't know why. I'm quite glad he's got his place in the history books though.
As for Tomic, I know he's just coming back from injury and perhaps shouldn't have played but for someone who once showed so much promise, he gets nothing but negative press now which isn't good for him, the sport or the Australian Tennis Federation. Needs to get back on track.
Reply 451
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2014/03/12/ATP-Heritage-Miami-Hewitt-600-Match-Wins.aspx

Another feat.

Still every chance he'll go to Wimbledon seeded again.
Fantastic match between Tsonga and the Bagman. Tsonga was 1-5 down in the second set tiebreaker, playing really quite below par for much of the match, but managed to stay clutch enough to grab the second, and is now serving for the match. Some superb points, and a lot of crowd interaction, especially from Bagdhatis.

Edit:a great performance from Tsonga in the end to win a match he looked like losing for much of the second set.
Reply 453
Great to hear that Tsonga has won. Also nice to see that Murray has eased past Feliciano Lopez 6-4, 6-1 - perhaps his most comfortable match this year. I think Andy is slowly getting back to his best

Djokovic with a walkover today, Federer yet to play. Nadal looking very good as well. Only person I feel bad for is Del Potro - I hear he's having wrist surgery again and could miss the rest of the season :frown:
Reply 454
Original post by Sirocco11
Fantastic match between Tsonga and the Bagman. Tsonga was 1-5 down in the second set tiebreaker, playing really quite below par for much of the match, but managed to stay clutch enough to grab the second, and is now serving for the match. Some superb points, and a lot of crowd interaction, especially from Bagdhatis.

Edit:a great performance from Tsonga in the end to win a match he looked like losing for much of the second set.

Great comeback!
Reply 455
Tsonga vs Murray will be interesting.
Reply 456
Original post by Roger1
Tsonga vs Murray will be interesting.

Federer vs Gasquet should be another one to look forward to. RF completely untroubled today - basically broke serve whenever he felt like, and there were a lot of fantastic winners throughout. He's also only lost 10 points on serve in the tournament thus far
Reply 457
Original post by Krish4791
Federer vs Gasquet should be another one to look forward to. RF completely untroubled today - basically broke serve whenever he felt like, and there were a lot of fantastic winners throughout. He's also only lost 10 points on serve in the tournament thus far

Fed vs Ferrer would also be interesting, should they both make it to QFs. They didn't play last year, so it would be interesting to see how that match unfolds. Murray and Novak are projected for a QF showdown, but I think Tsonga will beat Murray.
Reply 458
Original post by Roger1
Fed vs Ferrer would also be interesting, should they both make it to QFs. They didn't play last year, so it would be interesting to see how that match unfolds. Murray and Novak are projected for a QF showdown, but I think Tsonga will beat Murray.

From what I saw today, I think Tsonga would have to play really well to beat Murray - I'm getting the feeling that Andy's stepping it up now.

Fed v Ferrer seems kind of predictable again based on what I've seen from them this year (should they make the QFs) - Ferrer also has Nishikori/Dimitrov blocking his path. It would be like a "battle for no. 4"
Watching Dimitrov and Nishikori trade from the baseline is a joy, both such talented players. Nishikori's looking marginally the better player but they're both coming up with some incredible plays.

Ferrer has always shrivelled up against Federer mentally, and I wouldn't see it any differently should they meet, especially with Federer's form right now.

Quick Reply

Latest