The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by Rakas21
Technically every stat says Federer is a better clay court player than Djokovic, i don't think either are good enough to beat Nadal at the FO.

I think given Federer's age and his lack of mental game over Nadal I'd put Djokovic as second favourite over Federer. Djokovic may never win the FO but I think he's the only player capable of beating Nadal there, just my opinion
Reply 481
Original post by lizzy95
I think given Federer's age and his lack of mental game over Nadal I'd put Djokovic as second favourite over Federer. Djokovic may never win the FO but I think he's the only player capable of beating Nadal there, just my opinion

Sure but if Fed at peak could not beat Nadal there then i don't think Djokovic can. Even his 5 set match was one where Nadal never had to play his best tennis.

It's more likely that there will be a shock runner in the pack like Soderling in 09, either from the group i highlighted (there mildly competent on clay) or a complete unknown (though stats suggest the new generation are hopeless on clay).
Reply 482
Nole really playing well again. Expect him to be number 1 after the French open.
Reply 483
Original post by Rakas21
Sure but if Fed at peak could not beat Nadal there then i don't think Djokovic can. Even his 5 set match was one where Nadal never had to play his best tennis.

It's more likely that there will be a shock runner in the pack like e in 09, either from the group i highlighted (there mildly competent on clay) or a complete unknown (though stats suggest the new generation are hopeless on clay).

Djokovic has more effective weapons against Nadal than Federer. Even at his peak Nadal could still make mince meat of Federer's BH something he can't do as easily against Djokovic. Furthermore, Nadal was beating peak Federer when he was still developing his own game, he matches up a lot better against Federer than Djokovic. Again Nadal is the overwhelming favourite for RG but Djokovic pushed Nadal last year when he wasn't at his best, his concentration dipped throughout the match. Nadal can blow away other players on clay easily, his hardest match up on any surface is Djokovic hence why in my opinion their rivalry is more interesting than Nadal's rivalry with Federer
There is only one guy who can beat Rafa on clay, and we all know it is Djokovic at the top of his game. There's no way we can say for certain that Djokovic will win Roland Garros this year, as Rafa still rules over the French Open, but the advantage Rafa has over Djokovic has reduced every year since 2011.

As a Rafa fan the most worrying thing about the match yesterday was how easily Djokovic neutralised Rafa from the back of the court, and how timidly Rafa played him throughout. The dynamic is different on clay since Rafa has more time to run around his backhand, but that tendency was severely exposed by Djokovic's incredibly precise backhand throughout the entirety of the match. No matter how strong Rafa is on clay, winning Miami so easily will give Djokovic massive confidence going into the clay court season and I can imagine that he will win another final over Rafa yet in a clay Masters event.
Reply 485
Original post by Sirocco11
There is only one guy who can beat Rafa on clay, and we all know it is Djokovic at the top of his game. There's no way we can say for certain that Djokovic will win Roland Garros this year, as Rafa still rules over the French Open, but the advantage Rafa has over Djokovic has reduced every year since 2011.

As a Rafa fan the most worrying thing about the match yesterday was how easily Djokovic neutralised Rafa from the back of the court, and how timidly Rafa played him throughout. The dynamic is different on clay since Rafa has more time to run around his backhand, but that tendency was severely exposed by Djokovic's incredibly precise backhand throughout the entirety of the match. No matter how strong Rafa is on clay, winning Miami so easily will give Djokovic massive confidence going into the clay court season and I can imagine that he will win another final over Rafa yet in a clay Masters event.

I agree 100%. I'm a Djokovic fan so obviously I was thrilled with the final and Djokovic's performance but Nadal didn't play as aggressively as he needed too, whether that was due solely on his bad form or Djokovic's good one I don't know. Clay season will be really interesting this year I'm sure Rafa will come back strong and will look to own Nole but that'll be hard given the confidence he's gained from IW and Miami. As far as RG goes Rafa is the clear favourite as he was sub par last year and still won but if Nole is 100% and Rafa sub par things may go Nole's way
Interesting goings on in the Davis cup today.

The Czechs look as good as home, but the other 3 ties are all well in the balance, especially after that shock defeat for Stan.
Reply 487
Original post by hskjlclcn
Interesting goings on in the Davis cup today.

The Czechs look as good as home, but the other 3 ties are all well in the balance, especially after that shock defeat for Stan.

Stan's gone off the boil since the Australian Open - it looks like he's been resting on his laurels. Fed is not very far behind him in terms of points (and does not have that much to defend), so I see Stan dropping to No. 4 fairly soon. Then once Murray gets going, I think we could see the return of the Big 4 rankings-wise at least
Reply 488
What's wrong with Stan losing to a guy I've never heard of? Looks like he has decided to only peak for the slams.
Reply 489
Murray losing. He'll be lucky to hold Queens if he plays like this.
Original post by Rakas21
Murray losing. He'll be lucky to hold Queens if he plays like this.

Fognini did play well though...
Reply 491
Murray is crap on clay. Anyone playing well can beat him there and Fognini is a better clay courter than him anyway.

Stan just levelled the tie for Swiss. Roger to now take his team to the SFs hopefully where they will play Italy.
Reply 492
Original post by Roger1
Murray is crap on clay. Anyone playing well can beat him there and Fognini is a better clay courter than him anyway.

Stan just levelled the tie for Swiss. Roger to now take his team to the SFs hopefully where they will play Italy.

Golubev is actually playing really well - I can see why he beat Wawrinka.
Reply 493
Original post by Krish4791
Golubev is actually playing really well - I can see why he beat Wawrinka.

Fed played a great tiebreak to take the set.
Reply 494
Original post by Roger1
Fed played a great tiebreak to take the set.

7-0 :smile: Hopefully he can seal the deal in 3
Reply 495
Federer takes a wild card entry into the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters - looks to be a strategic move of some sort. Not entirely sure what he's doing?
Nadal will try for a 9th title there, Djokovic is in top form. Looking forward to the European clay court swing!
Reply 496
Original post by Krish4791
Federer takes a wild card entry into the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters - looks to be a strategic move of some sort. Not entirely sure what he's doing?
Nadal will try for a 9th title there, Djokovic is in top form. Looking forward to the European clay court swing!

He's probably feeling positive from the season so far and it can't hurt to have a crack.
Reply 497
Clay court season about to start:

Looks like the Monte Carlo Masters draw has been released:
No. 1 seed Nadal lands Ferrer and Dimitrov in his quarter, with Wawrinka and Berdych drawn in the top half as well.
Federer and Djokovic once again find themselves in the same half of the draw - I think Fognini/Gasquet are lurking there as well.
Having said all this, it'll still probably end up being a Nadal-Djoko final

Edit: Gasquet has just withdrawn, so he will be replaced in the draw by Tsonga I think
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 498
Monte-Carlo this week.

Raonic was just knocked out by Warwrkinka but may climb to 9th since he reached the QF.

Federer takes on Tsonga.

Djokovic plays Lopez.

The winners play each other.
Reply 499
Wow! Big shock with Nadal crashing out to Ferrer in straights in Monte Carlo! Big win for Ferrer...

Quick Reply

Latest