The Student Room Group

UCL says 7 portions a day - making this work

Important news this morning from UCL via the media. We should all be eating at least 7 portions of vegetables and fruit a day, with the emphasis on the veg.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/01/fruit-and-vegetables-seven-portions-ucl-study

This will make us all much healthier.

I know I'm going to find this difficult to attain, but I will start by eating carrots and bananas for breakfast. (Doing that now.)

The next step is to eat a vegetable on the tube going into work. I will consume a cold potato.

I intend to do nothing but munch through celery, gherkins and tomato paste during my morning. Lunch will be a plate of cabbage.

Any ideas for my dinner gratefully received. :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

People struggled as it was trying to manage 5 a day. I wonder how many will give up the whole cause as being completely hopeless after this.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
People struggled as it was trying to manage 5 a day. I wonder how many will give up the whole cause as being completely hopeless after this.

TV news is on it nonstop this morning - desperate food experts trying to explain how to do it! :lol:
Reply 3
Too ****ing expensive.
I'd say I eat around 6 portions a day as it is. It's not that hard.
Reply 5
I always say over population isn't the problem. Over consumption by the West is what is sending the world to ****
April fools??
My new year's resolution in 2009 was to have my 5 a day every day, I lasted two days.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
As a UCL student I can confirm I've never heard of this :lol:. In any case, too much effort to down 7 veggies a day.

What? UCL don't run their press releases past every student before sending them out??? :eek:
Reply 9
As I recall, even when the 5-a-day was initially suggested, evidence suggested it should be basically 10, with the majority veg, but it was decided that the public would ignore such a high guideline.
I heard this a while ago, apparently they knew all along but they thought five was a much more realistic goal than seven.
Damn I fail, I probably have 2 portions a day lol, and never fruit unless its in juice form, I have my posh fruit juice thing but I think no matter how much juice you drink it can only count as 1 or 2 portions?

Seems quite a bit tbh. Though I don't see the argument that it's too expensive which loads of people have text to the BBC, weight wise veg is always cheap, cheaper than any ready meal etc. Fruit can be more expensive, but it depends on what you buy and if you have a market anywhere, it'll be dirt cheap, I can get 10 oranges for £1, 20 satsumas, 2 mangos for £1.50 etc, fair enough they don't last as long as supermarket stuff generally, but because it#s so cheap you still get your moneys worth. Still though, a bag of 6 apples is £1 at iceland, I assume Aldi/Lidl do similar , a 6 pack of walkers costs you more these days. Bananas are cheap, loose at so "it's too expensive to eat healthy" is BS. Loose Bananas from Tesco/Sainsburys are both 68p/kg, which is about 12p a banana. Obviously some of that is the skin, but most packs of biscuits these days (digestives say) are £1 for a branded pack, so...300g of biscuits, or over 1kg of bananas...yeah fruit so expensive...
Reply 12
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Important news this morning from UCL via the media. We should all be eating at least 7 portions of vegetables and fruit a day, with the emphasis on the veg.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/01/fruit-and-vegetables-seven-portions-ucl-study

This will make us all much healthier.

I know I'm going to find this difficult to attain, but I will start by eating carrots and bananas for breakfast. (Doing that now.)

The next step is to eat a vegetable on the tube going into work. I will consume a cold potato.

I intend to do nothing but munch through celery, gherkins and tomato paste during my morning. Lunch will be a plate of cabbage.

Any ideas for my dinner gratefully received. :colondollar:

7 is ridiculous. 5 was ridiculous. Even if I literally ate nothing except fruit and veg, I would still struggle to get through 7 portions in a day.
Reply 13
Japan has had a guideline of 7 for a few years now. You can't eat too much fruit or veg (unless of course you're drinking too much fruit juice which can be high in sugar). Britain just decided to set the guideline at 5 because it was thought if it was set higher people wouldn't even bother trying.
Reply 14
You can do a stir fry with loads of veggies, a salad on the side and a fruit salad for dessert :smile:
Original post by Fullofsurprises

x

Full of surprises, is now full of veg:biggrin:

Seriously though, I thought eating 7 - 9 portions of fruit & veg a day was common knowledge?
I easily get it everyday.
I was thinking about this this morning and when I looked at a packet of radishes, you have to eat 10 for it to count as one of your five a day.

downloadjhi.jpg
Reply 17
I don't understand how very few people can do this. Fruit and veg taste amazing.
Lol, no chance!!! :lol:
Reply 19
How much is a portion though? Is one apple a 'portion', or two apples? how about three grapes, or 10 grapes? Or 25g of spinach or 100g of spinach. Until they make it clear and widely known what a comprises a 'portion', making claims about how many portions is appropriate is pointless.

Quick Reply

Latest