The Student Room Group

How do you remember all the sociology case studies?

I find it really hard to remember names etc
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
are you doing the aqa spec?
I'm finding it difficult too, but atm trying to associate case studies with sociologist names (if you need to know names). It's usually the information without names that get's me. For example, Heelas and Woodhead -> They did a study on The Hollistic Millieu and Spirituality..
Idk if it will help but just a suggestion :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I don't really have any trouble remembering the names, it's the dates I can never remember. I have written them down in lists on the topics I'm doing (namely Mass Media, Science and Suicide and Crime and Deviance)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I got 2 marks off full marks for both my exams at AS (family and education) and got two high A's in A2.
The way I did the research for AS was I wrote the research and what they did down/powerpoint, read over that over and over. Recorded it and listened to it while I was on the move. I made a 'game' where I wrote down the researchers name, and on another piece of paper I wrote what they did. I then matched them, and sorted them out into what they came under e.g. class, gender, racism. I got my friend to test me. Just going over it - repetition is everything really.

With dates, again, I did the matching up game - and the power point. I tried to make connections with the research and the researchers name so Stanworth (1983) has Stan which is a guys name and has worth in it and therefore, the study was about it seems teachers things BOYS are more WORTHY (the actual research from memory is that teachers gave more times to boys, and expected boys to achieve more - it also showed school was a 'mans world') I don't know if that helps you, but that's a method of remembering..
Colour coding I also did! That helped with information rather than research - so race was one colour, feminism was one colour etc.

During the weekend/exam leave I studied for about 4 hours solely on sociology every day (with breaks after each hour)
Original post by J_say
I got 2 marks off full marks for both my exams at AS (family and education) and got two high A's in A2.
The way I did the research for AS was I wrote the research and what they did down/powerpoint, read over that over and over. Recorded it and listened to it while I was on the move. I made a 'game' where I wrote down the researchers name, and on another piece of paper I wrote what they did. I then matched them, and sorted them out into what they came under e.g. class, gender, racism. I got my friend to test me. Just going over it - repetition is everything really.

With dates, again, I did the matching up game - and the power point. I tried to make connections with the research and the researchers name so Stanworth (1983) has Stan which is a guys name and has worth in it and therefore, the study was about it seems teachers things BOYS are more WORTHY (the actual research from memory is that teachers gave more times to boys, and expected boys to achieve more - it also showed school was a 'mans world':wink: I don't know if that helps you, but that's a method of remembering..
Colour coding I also did! That helped with information rather than research - so race was one colour, feminism was one colour etc.

During the weekend/exam leave I studied for about 4 hours solely on sociology every day (with breaks after each hour)

i know its been 2 years... but do you still have the powerpoint??
Hi ! So I'm currently doing my AS level sociology, and I'm not sure if I need to remember the full names of the sociologists, or just the surnames??
Original post by Samara Wilkins
Hi ! So I'm currently doing my AS level sociology, and I'm not sure if I need to remember the full names of the sociologists, or just the surnames??

Nope, just surnames. I would highly recommend flash cards for remembering the case studies and theories. It certainly helped me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending