The Student Room Group

Creative writing - advice for applying

Hi :smile: I would really love to study English (or possibly American at East Anglia) literature with creative writing (starting 2015) and I was wondering if maybe anyone had any advice on how to boost my chances of getting a place? Besides getting good grades, I mean.
(In case it would be useful to know, I really like the look of East Anglia, and others I've looked into and liked are Warwick, Birmingham, Nottingham, Kent and Lancaster… but I'm open to other ideas…)
Reply 1
I got a place at Cardiff Met to study English/Creative Writing. In my personal statement I said I did voluntary work and had written a novel and entered writing competitions. That kind of extra curricula stuff can help but nothings guaranteed. I'm still waiting to hear back from Cardiff for English lit.
I'm a current lit&cw student at uea, so if you have any questions, i'll see if i can answer! OP, I'm guessing you haven't applied yet, so the best advice I can give you is to start writing now, and keep writing - that way, if you are asked for a portfolio you'll have plenty of material to choose from. Get into the habit of editing your work as well.
The usual stuff goes for making yourself sound interesting on personal statements, but it does help if you show you're actively engaged in your subject area - for instance, I'm into poetry, so I was trying to start a poetry e-zine in my school, I'd got a bit of poetry into a local mag, and I was reading poetry and able to talk about it in my statement. You don't have to be published or anything, just prove writing is more than just a school subject for you.

Visiting the uni before you apply and talking to tutors on open days definitely helps. Be yourself, be confident and be creative. And avoid the word 'passionate' at all costs. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ElsaTheSnowQueen
Hi :smile: I would really love to study English (or possibly American at East Anglia) literature with creative writing (starting 2015) and I was wondering if maybe anyone had any advice on how to boost my chances of getting a place? Besides getting good grades, I mean.
(In case it would be useful to know, I really like the look of East Anglia, and others I've looked into and liked are Warwick, Birmingham, Nottingham, Kent and Lancaster… but I'm open to other ideas…)

UEA like good personal statements- by good I don't mean a list of irrelvant extra curricular activities but one where you convey your passion for literature - why you want to do it, what relevant activities you've done with a small bit about skills you've gained from other activities

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending