The Student Room Group

Anyone else stressing out about AS German Oral?

Is anyone else stressing out over the AQA German AS speaking exam?
I'm so worried about it, its twice as long as my Italian exam and there's so much to think about. Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare for it?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing AQA AS German and i've got my oral exam coming up in about 5 weeks. Don't know if this will help but I am preparing about 3-4 line answers to most of the questions that could come up in the exam. I wouldn't prepare heaps and heaps for each question as the examiner is bound to cut you off and ask you other questions as it has to be really conversation-like. When you're writing answers try to think of what the examiner could ask you that would flow on from the previous question, and prepare for that as well.

Also, i think it's so helpful to research what you're talking about, and to be able to form a strong opinion on the topics, or an area of the topics that interest you, because your apparent interest in the topic and opinion will show and make you stand out. So you could prepare to talk about something that you saw on the news or researched, or something to with for example, the teenage consumption of alcohol in Germany. It's not actually required to link what you are saying to Germany, but it will just set you apart abit :smile:

As well as preparing short answers to most questions, i find it really helpful to make a vocab list of words that you could use in every topic, things like "i agree with you" and "thats a very contreversial topic" etc. to help the conversation better.

And also, use your textbooks and kerboodle! If you read through the texts there are soo many useful phrases and phrases you can use (and you already know they are gramatically correct haha) and so much vocab that is specific to each topic. And learn loads and loads of vocab as well, it will help to say things more concisely and will make you be able to say things more spontaneously

I've made a prep schedule of when i want to finish each topic, i don't always stick to it but it helps me keep more or less on track!

Really hope this helped and makes sense and good luck!
x
Yeah they tend to go in with their teeth those German girls
Original post by KingStannis
Yeah they tend to go in with their teeth those German girls

What are you talking about? :lol:
Original post by thatitootoo
What are you talking about? :lol:

me being immature about the title.
Reply 5
You're stressing about AS oral, am dying for my A2!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
me being immature about the title.

I figured. Do you even German though?
Original post by thatitootoo
I figured. Do you even German though?

Na that ****'s way too hardcore for me
(edited 10 years ago)
Na that ****'s way too hardcore for me

:cool:
Original post by lala121

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ich auch :'(
Reply 10
Original post by lucy.b
I'm doing AQA AS German and i've got my oral exam coming up in about 5 weeks. Don't know if this will help but I am preparing about 3-4 line answers to most of the questions that could come up in the exam. I wouldn't prepare heaps and heaps for each question as the examiner is bound to cut you off and ask you other questions as it has to be really conversation-like. When you're writing answers try to think of what the examiner could ask you that would flow on from the previous question, and prepare for that as well.

Also, i think it's so helpful to research what you're talking about, and to be able to form a strong opinion on the topics, or an area of the topics that interest you, because your apparent interest in the topic and opinion will show and make you stand out. So you could prepare to talk about something that you saw on the news or researched, or something to with for example, the teenage consumption of alcohol in Germany. It's not actually required to link what you are saying to Germany, but it will just set you apart abit :smile:

As well as preparing short answers to most questions, i find it really helpful to make a vocab list of words that you could use in every topic, things like "i agree with you" and "thats a very contreversial topic" etc. to help the conversation better.

And also, use your textbooks and kerboodle! If you read through the texts there are soo many useful phrases and phrases you can use (and you already know they are gramatically correct haha) and so much vocab that is specific to each topic. And learn loads and loads of vocab as well, it will help to say things more concisely and will make you be able to say things more spontaneously

I've made a prep schedule of when i want to finish each topic, i don't always stick to it but it helps me keep more or less on track!

Really hope this helped and makes sense and good luck!
x

Thanks a lot,

Viel Glück!
Reply 11
ja ich auch! my skills unfortunately lie in reading and listening, not being put on the spot to think of an answer, let alone in another language!
viel glueck!
Original post by DestinySky
Is anyone else stressing out over the AQA German AS speaking exam?
I'm so worried about it, its twice as long as my Italian exam and there's so much to think about. Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare for it?

One good thing to do would be to try looking at past speaking cards, giving yourself 20 minutes to prepare one, and seeing how you find them. Doing this a few times will probably see you start to use certain structures again and again, which will help to make sure you have something to say in the real exam which you can easy just say. You'll get a feel for the type of questions you could be asked and how they are phrased- you won't get one identically but I found this type of thing incredibly useful to practice. After preparing a card- sit and think about about how the other 2 1/2 minutes discussing the topic might be used up (I'm assuming you're familiar with how the exam is broken up time wise).

In terms of the questions, you could look through vocab lists, listening transcripts or reading exercises to isolate topic-specific vocab that you might want to use. Set phrases to introduce opinions would be good to learn, as well as any phrases showing different cases/ subjunctives that you can learn and won't have to think about. Whilst the examiners would obviously like to see a variety of good grammar in the exam, don't worry about making mistakes. Our teachers always tell us that pauses are fine, but it's better to convey an idea that's not perfect grammatically than convey no idea at all by having a long pause.

And the main thing is try to keep calm about it. It seems like a horrible thing now, but looking back on AS last year, it isn't as awful as you might expect in the end. Just make sure you're prepared well, keep calm about it and you should be fine. :smile:

If you want any more suggestions or need any help at all, then feel free to shoot me a PM.
Original post by lala121

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Itachi Uchiha.
Ich auch :'(

Which cultural topics have you done for A2?
Reply 14
Original post by scott18044

Oh i'm doing Edexcel A2. I chose Nuclear and Renewable Energy
Original post by lala121
Oh i'm doing Edexcel A2. I chose Nuclear and Renewable Energy

Ahh- I thought you were doing AQA as well. I don't know much about Edexcel, but good luck! When's your speaking date?
Reply 16
Ahh- I thought you were doing AQA as well. I don't know much about Edexcel, but good luck! When's your speaking date?

On the 9th!!! My teacher hasnt even practiced or helped us!! IM SOO DOOMED!! Except our is basically we present a topic for 1 minute to give a background of the debate. Then i take a stance and the examiner/teacher takes the opposite view and we debate it. This lasts for around 4 minutes and then we talk for 8 minutes about other random german stuff :biggrin:
Original post by lala121
On the 9th!!! My teacher hasnt even practiced or helped us!! IM SOO DOOMED!! Except our is basically we present a topic for 1 minute to give a background of the debate. Then i take a stance and the examiner/teacher takes the opposite view and we debate it. This lasts for around 4 minutes and then we talk for 8 minutes about other random german stuff :biggrin:

Ahh- we have something similar to that. :smile: We get two cards about a certain topic (Energy, Immigration, Integration, Wealth and Poverty, Law and Order etc.) with two contrasting opinions. Have to outline one of the points for 1min, then defend it for another 4. Then we have 2 5-minute conversation sections about two aspects of German culture that we've studied, which for me is a play about the Second World War and Goodbye Lenin :P

I think mine is at the start of May- good luck with it! That's really **** if the teacher hasn't bothered to go about helping you.. :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Ahh- we have something similar to that. :smile: We get two cards about a certain topic (Energy, Immigration, Integration, Wealth and Poverty, Law and Order etc.) with two contrasting opinions. Have to outline one of the points for 1min, then defend it for another 4. Then we have 2 5-minute conversation sections about two aspects of German culture that we've studied, which for me is a play about the Second World War and Goodbye Lenin :P

I think mine is at the start of May- good luck with it! That's really **** if the teacher hasn't bothered to go about helping you.. :/

Well for our written exam we have a research topic and we have been focusing on Berlin, so as we went Berlin 2 weeks ago she mainly focused on that. Your speaking exam sounds very complicated lol :biggrin:

First i chose Nazi Germany , but then decided to do Life in DDR and BRD - wby?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending