The Student Room Group

What does hyper-osmotic mean?

As in the title.

I'm making notes from a lecture and I see this:

If a solution has a higher osmotic potential, it draws water out of the cells. The solution is hyper-osmotic.

I'm confused here.

Firstly, does water potential = osmotic potential? In that case, water moves from a high potential to a low potential.

Secondly, if a solution has a higher osmotic potential, shouldn't that mean that water actually goes into the cell, as opposed to water being drawn out of the cell?

Many thanks
A solution that is hyper-osmotic or hypertonic has a higher osmotic potential and contains more solutes. It therefore draws water across membranes from areas with lower osmotic potential (hypo-osmotic). In this example, if you dropped some cells in a hyper-osmotic solution it would draw the water out of the cells making them crenate.

I've heard the term water potential used before but was never taught using it, so I don't really know what it means. See if it matches up with any of that.
Reply 2
Original post by Rob da Mop
A solution that is hyper-osmotic or hypertonic has a higher osmotic potential and contains more solutes. It therefore draws water across membranes from areas with lower osmotic potential (hypo-osmotic). In this example, if you dropped some cells in a hyper-osmotic solution it would draw the water out of the cells making them crenate.

I've heard the term water potential used before but was never taught using it, so I don't really know what it means. See if it matches up with any of that.

That clarifies it! Many thanks! +1
Reply 3
Original post by James A
As in the title.

I'm making notes from a lecture and I see this:

I'm confused here.

Firstly, does water potential = osmotic potential? In that case, water moves from a high potential to a low potential.

Secondly, if a solution has a higher osmotic potential, shouldn't that mean that water actually goes into the cell, as opposed to water being drawn out of the cell?

Many thanks

The higher the osmotic potential, the lower the water potential.

High osmotic potential = Low water potential
High water potential = Low osmotic potential

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending