The Student Room Group

C1 easy little maths question :)

when it asks 'use the binomial theorem to work out....' in C1, does it want me to use the binomial formula (1+nx+....) or pascals triangle??? help! would be very much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by MNem
when it asks 'use the binomial theorem to work out....' in C1, does it want me to use the binomial formula (1+nx+....) or pascals triangle??? help! would be very much appreciated :smile:

Binomial Formula is similar in effect to Pascal Triangle but it is not the same thing.
Reply 2
Original post by Old_Simon
Binomial Formula is similar in effect to Pascal Triangle but it is not the same thing.

I know what each of them do, i completely understand how to use them etc, its just the wording of questions i dont know (when both could be used to obtain the answer) :redface:
Reply 3
What needs working out?
If it says use binomial theorem, then you need to use the binomial theorem.

Pascal's triangle calculates the coefficients used in the binomial theorem.
Reply 5
I normally use the nCr method.
Reply 6
Original post by MNem
I know what each of them do, i completely understand how to use them etc, its just the wording of questions i dont know (when both could be used to obtain the answer) :redface:

If they wanted us to use Pascal's Triangle presumably they would say so ?
Reply 7
(in MEI - because thats what I know, i wouldn't be confident about the other boards because i don't teach them..) If it says "use binomial theorem" the mark schemes allow you to use pascal's triangle to work out the coefficients because mostly it is test that you know the rest of the theorem (the "power on one bit goes up and the power on the other goes down" bit)
Reply 8
if you could post the question we would have a better idea of what is required.

Quick Reply

Latest