The Student Room Group
Do these threads ever end
As an away fan...

Anfield is massively overrated IMO. For the most part the place is pretty quiet, and not a constant wall of noise like the media have you believe. It's in an awful dump of an area and the overhang of the upper tier in the away end is terrible. It's like watching the match through a letterbox if you're anywhere near the back. It's nearly as bad as Goodison Park in that sense, and that takes some doing.

Old Trafford is better and the atmosphere isn't bad when you consider how diluted the crowd is with tourists and day-trippers. Better view, plenty of good places to drink nearby.
Original post by Kieran-SAFC
As an away fan...

Anfield is massively overrated IMO. For the most part the place is pretty quiet, and not a constant wall of noise like the media have you believe. It's in an awful dump of an area and the overhang of the upper tier in the away end is terrible. It's like watching the match through a letterbox if you're anywhere near the back. It's nearly as bad as Goodison Park in that sense, and that takes some doing.

Old Trafford is better and the atmosphere isn't bad when you consider how diluted the crowd is with tourists and day-trippers. Better view, plenty of good places to drink nearby.

I'm a United fan but I'd agree with all these reasons. Old Trafford has been redeveloped so much in the past 20 years there's very few traces of the old ground left, it's a nice modern ground to watch football in. Anfield looks and feels old, and to me feels pretty small for a 45k ground.

Anfield has 31,000 less seats than OT, far less disabled spaces, less executive boxes & multiseat facilities, restricted views, cramped concourses, dilapidated stands, appalling public transport, and no parking. :rolleyes:
Original post by IanDangerously
I'm a United fan but I'd agree with all these reasons. Old Trafford has been redeveloped so much in the past 20 years there's very few traces of the old ground left, it's a nice modern ground to watch football in. Anfield looks and feels old, and to me feels pretty small for a 45k ground.

Anfield has 31,000 less seats than OT, far less disabled spaces, less executive boxes & multiseat facilities, restricted views, cramped concourses, dilapidated stands, appalling public transport, and no parking. :rolleyes:

That's probably it- apart from the South Stand at OT, it's a pretty new ground really. I was only a few rows off the back of the East Stand upper tier for the League Cup Semi and the view was still good (Sunderland fan :wink:)

I still think Liverpool should push for a new stadium rather than redevelop Anfield. Have you seen the new plans? It looks awful and lopsided.
Reply 5
Always thought Anfield looked like a dump, and Ive heard horror stories about the immediate area. But it's probably the more charming of the two in fairness in its own way.

Visually I quite like the look of Old Trafford though. Theyve made a very good job of modernising it and it really looks like it was built from scratch tbh.

Atmosphere probably better at Anfield, on its day, both as average/bad as each other most of the time I think.

For an away day it'd prefer to go to OT.

But let us be real here:

If you want a beautiful, charming, historic stadium then Highbury was GOAT. I mean the stadium was a work of Art Deco extravagance.

If you want a modern stadium with unparalleled facilitates then Emirates. Perfect views no matter where you sit, simple to get a beer at half time etc. SAF himself said it was the best designed stadium in the country, the guy couldnt even hate he was just admiring. Massive dressing rooms, top of the range medical facilitates with swimming pools and separate massage rooms, underground car parking, ridiculous VIP facilitates, professional press area, touchline area roomy etc. It is after all the most expensive club stadium ever built :five:

There's **** all in Holloway, but at least Arsenal always built proper stadiums. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Lol you lot got Zurich started.
Both are pretty terrible IMO Anfield is bad for away fans, Old Trafford is way overrated. Best stadiums in the UK are Etihad, Emirates, St James', Wembley, Olympic Stadium, Millennium Stadium.
Original post by Warrior King
Both are pretty terrible IMO Anfield is bad for away fans, Old Trafford is way overrated. Best stadiums in the UK are Etihad, Emirates, St James', Wembley, Olympic Stadium, Millennium Stadium.

Wouldn't put St James anywhere near those you've mentioned, especially near The Emirates. Terrible views for away fans, the players look like specks from the top tier and its massively lopsided.
U liverpool suppourter can go look at your premier league wins:smile:

Latest