The Student Room Group

application of mean, median and the mode in real life

hi people, please give me a short explanation of application of mean, median and the mode , ASAP
Original post by Emad1993
hi people, please give me a short explanation of application of mean, median and the mode , ASAP

Okay :smile:

Mean: Suppose that I have a group of 10 people however I want to have a height to compare them all to. I can add all of their heights together and divide it by 10. This gives me the average height and it allows me to say that if I have a person (so person 11) from this same group I can guess that their height would be the average height that I calculated.

Mode: Considering that I have 50 flowers, where I have 30 roses, 10 lilies, 5 tulips and 5 daisies. The mode would be the most amount of a type of flower. This would be the roses in this case. I can view this in this way. The probability of me picking a rose would be much higher then picking another flower. As a shop owner this could also influence on how you would price your flowers.

Median: Now it's clear that the median is going to be the middle value of ordered data. However, suppose that you have cases of severe asthma throughout the year and the first 10 months you have 100 cases and the last two months you have 500 cases. Now if I took the mean you'll see that the last two months skew the data quite badly. However, the median can help bypass that problem as 100 cases would be a more reliable value in terms of average cases :yep:
Original post by Slowbro93

He won't get that detention for failing to complete his homework now.
Reply 3
Original post by Slowbro93
Okay :smile:

Mean: Suppose that I have a group of 10 people however I want to have a height to compare them all to. I can add all of their heights together and divide it by 10. This gives me the average height and it allows me to say that if I have a person (so person 11) from this same group I can guess that their height would be the average height that I calculated.

Mode: Considering that I have 50 flowers, where I have 30 roses, 10 lilies, 5 tulips and 5 daisies. The mode would be the most amount of a type of flower. This would be the roses in this case. I can view this in this way. The probability of me picking a rose would be much higher then picking another flower. As a shop owner this could also influence on how you would price your flowers.

Median: Now it's clear that the median is going to be the middle value of ordered data. However, suppose that you have cases of severe asthma throughout the year and the first 10 months you have 100 cases and the last two months you have 500 cases. Now if I took the mean you'll see that the last two months skew the data quite badly. However, the median can help bypass that problem as 100 cases would be a more reliable value in terms of average cases :yep:

wow, thanks a lot man :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
He won't get that detention for failing to complete his homework now.

what do you mean by "his homework"?
what do you mean by "his homework"?

Work undertaken outwith scheduled lesson times.
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M
Work undertaken outwith scheduled lesson times.

i was just doing statistics and was wondering how mean median etc are useful in our real life ! so don't judge people !
i was just doing statistics and was wondering how mean median etc are useful in our real life ! so don't judge people !

Of course you were. That's why you needed an answer "as soon as possible".
please be nice chill bro!
Reply 9
Original post by ii_Br0k3nH3arted

I was still in school when this thread was made.
Original post by ii_Br0k3nH3arted

Original post by B_9710
I was still in school when this thread was made.

I was still in primary school when this thread was made haha
Reply 11
Original post by KaziMahathir
I was still in primary school when this thread was made haha

Wow. Youngen

Quick Reply

Latest