The Student Room Group

Is pink hair accepted at Oxford?

Hi guys just wondering if it would be ok for a student to have pink hair at oxford university.
What are the rules, dress code, hair code...?
thanks
I should think so.
Students = There is no dress code.
Original post by uniqsummer
Students = There is no dress code.

Eh not quite.I know someone who got thrown out of tutorials twice for his attire. The first time, he wore pyjamas. The second time, he wore a suit (as a joke I think).

That said, I don't think most tutors are this harsh, but in general, turning up to a tute looking like you just rolled out of bed isn't a good idea.

OP, pink hair is absolutely fine :smile: As long as you don't look sloppy/ inappropriate, anything goes.
Original post by mishieru07
Eh not quite.I know someone who got thrown out of tutorials twice for his attire. The first time, he wore pyjamas. The second time, he wore a suit (as a joke I think).

That said, I don't think most tutors are this harsh, but in general, turning up to a tute looking like you just rolled out of bed isn't a good idea.

OP, pink hair is absolutely fine :smile: As long as you don't look sloppy/ inappropriate, anything goes.

Really? I've been to tutorials in black tie before, and been in tutorials with people wearing pyjamas. I've never heard of any tutor having a dress code.
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Really? I've been to tutorials in black tie before, and been in tutorials with people wearing pyjamas. I've never heard of any tutor having a dress code.

Well the context is that the first week, he turned up in pyjamas, and the next week, he turned up in a suit. He was trying to be funny re the suit, but alas his tutor wasn't impressed. I think if you had a valid reason for wearing black tie (eg you are rushing off to an event immediately after/ before), tutors are very unlikely to object.

I don't think most tutors have a dress code, and I suspect that particular tutor is an exception to the norm since he has a reputation for being strict generally (he also routinely throws people out for failing to answer questions or for showing up late to tutorials; none of my tutors do that either). In any case, I would think that it's common courtesy to dress appropriately for tutorials, but that might just be me.
Reply 6
I doubt they would discriminate and accept any reasonable hair colour.
If it's like rainbow or bright green they you might have a problem but pink is fine cos it's not unusual.
Reply 7

Why aren't you allowed to wear a suit? Or do you just mean black/white tie? I would have thought you'd be allowed to wear sports jackets.
you can be purple with beige stripes; as long as you can cut the mustard academically they are not fussed.
Original post by ETRC
If it's like rainbow or bright green they you might have a problem but pink is fine cos it's not unusual.

Original post by Handles
Why aren't you allowed to wear a suit? Or do you just mean black/white tie? I would have thought you'd be allowed to wear sports jackets.

Really, anything at all goes. The story mishieru07 has given is interesting because it's such a bizzare situation. Students at Oxford can happily go around with rainbow hair, sports jackets and a tutu if they so wish.
Reply 10
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Really, anything at all goes. The story mishieru07 has given is interesting because it's such a bizzare situation. Students at Oxford can happily go around with rainbow hair, sports jackets and a tutu if they so wish.

I've never seen anyone with rainbow hair so thought it was strange.
And i've heard a few stories of people wearing bizarre clothing in Oxford.

This made me laugh more than it should have :rofl:
Original post by Handles

I don't actually think wearing a suit itself is a problem per se. You have to view it in the context that the previous week, he had been thrown out for wearing pyjamas so his wearing of a suit was probably intended to be a joke (which his tutor evidently didn't appreciate).

I think pyjamas is probably too much, but then again, I come from the college which sent its students an email telling them to stop going to breakfast in pyjamas because it was unbecoming ... :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by ETRC

Further to what a_c_f said, I have seen more than one rainbow-haired Oxford student. I agree that it's unusual but it's still not problematic.
Would not know about Oxford, but Cambridge seems to forbid its unusual looking students to appear in public.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/3521443/Police-quiz-University-Challenge-contestant-over-RAF-jacket.html
Original post by anthemofjo
Would not know about Oxford, but Cambridge seems to forbid its unusual looking students to appear in public.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/3521443/Police-quiz-University-Challenge-contestant-over-RAF-jacket.html

Or rather, the public forbids Cambridge students from appearing in public. Sounds appropriate.
Original post by nexttime
Or rather, the public forbids Cambridge students from appearing in public. Sounds appropriate.

touché.
Here's an Oxford YouTuber with coloured hair:

Rainbow hair. Absolutely fine

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16552173
Reply 19
I study Earth Sciences and last December our department organized a pajama day so some people went to tutes in their pyjamas...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending