The Student Room Group

What is the most useful and useless GCSE subject you take

What GCSE subject you take have you found most useful and useless in you life and why?
I took my GCSEs last year any my most
Useful: I.C.T. because I probably wouldn't have know how to use lots of the Microsoft apps
Useless: Haven't thought of any. I did only a few subjects

Scroll to see replies

Useful: Maths

Useless: History

Been a while since I did my GCSEs though.
Useful: English
Useless: Health and Social Care
Useless - ICT (I haven't learnt anything except from the fact that we use Access for databases)

Useful - No GCSEs are really useful TBH, they're really there to lead on to more useful things IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile
useful -maths (gotta love maths :smile:)
useless-ict
Useful - probably maths (only cause it's my favourite though)
Useless - I would have to say music, only cause it's been the one I've least enjoyed.
They're all useless
Useful - I like maths but it's not really useful in real life situations? How does simultaneous equations help me out in any way? So I'd say English lit/geography :smile:

Useless - Media..
Useful: History. I think it's more about the skill rather than the knowledge; i know I won't need to draw upon my knowledge of the cold war on a casual bases but it did teach me to close read sources especially, and just to step away from biased opinions...

Useless: Business!!!! Words cannot express my contempt for this subject, you will literally learn nothing useful because, seriously it's so hard to summarise 'business' into one gcse so you end up skimming different topics and becoming fed up.
Useful: maths and science
useless: religious education (it was compulsory and the teacher was more concerned about her social life)
Useful: Maths, Chem etc

Useless: I don't actually know maybe Geography or RS wouldn't say they were totally useless though :smile:
ICT.
CIE igcse are the worst..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Useful: Maths, Further Maths, Geography, History, a modern foreign language, Chemistry, Biology.

Useless: OCR Nationals ICT BTEC, Religious Studies.
Useful: Science
Useless: LLW. What absolute bs.
Useful:The sciences
Useless: Drama
Useful: Maths
Useless: BTEC Media

Posted from TSR Mobile
useful: maths
useless: geography, so glad it's over now :smile:
Useful: Core subjects, History, a modern language.
Useless: ICT and Art. Biggest wastes of time ever IMO.
Useful: English
Useless: Textiles
Art and music were almost pointless to me, well, they still are. Shame, I enjoy them both as a hobby, but doing them as subjects has butchers the joy. Oh, and unless you want to become an artist (or an architect) are 'useless'.

I see the point to everything else I'm doing. The modern foreign language, history, and the core bunch.

Quick Reply

Latest