The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by superdarklord
...... Three hours of my life wasted *weep* some people even went into as much depth as the scientific names for the four stages. Oh well, rather be overprepared :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest though, OCR have been going off spec so you never know... Also, it's great revision for AS!
Original post by mmaryam
There's only transmitter chemicals on the first neurone and there's only receptors on the second neurone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!!
Original post by Sulfur

Synapses are gaps and produce a neurone transmitter (chemical) that diffuses from the first neurone into the gap. Then the neurone transmitter is bound to the receptor molecules on the second neurone where the impulse then continues to travel to the motor neurone in the spinal cord.

Thanks for explanation- very helpful!
Original post by Sulfur
To be honest though, OCR have been going off spec so you never know... Also, it's great revision for AS!

What has gotten into OCR their exams have all been weirddddd. Ooh not taking bio A level, I picked it but I'm gonna change to physics after results day hopefully :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
can someone help me with studying the brain
There is a really good channel on youtube were a teacher goes though all the topics of biogoly. It is for the ocr 21st century board aswell. I can't say enough how his man has helped me. All i do is copy what he says, then do some work from my CGP book then exam questions. I find watching this videos is far better than the CGP books with there naff jokes:hand:. Here is the link, he also does a-level biogoly aswell so you will have to scroll down for the GCSE topics. Let me know if it helps!:ahee:
http://m.youtube.com/#/user/NottsAST

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexkate97
There is a really good channel on youtube were a teacher goes though all the topics of biogoly. It is for the ocr 21st century board aswell. I can't say enough how his man has helped me. All i do is copy what he says, then do some work from my CGP book then exam questions. I find watching this videos is far better than the CGP books with there naff jokes:hand:. Here is the link, he also does a-level biogoly aswell so you will have to scroll down for the GCSE topics. Let me know if it helps!:ahee:
http://m.youtube.com/#/user/NottsAST

Posted from TSR Mobile

Excayoose me, cgp and their 'naff' jokes get me through life :wink::biggrin:
Thanks though I'll check it out!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you all ready?! (expecting a huge roar of approval, but capitals will do.. :wink: )
Original post by ToLiveInADream
Are you all ready?! (expecting a huge roar of approval, but capitals will do.. :wink: )

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 389
Original post by ToLiveInADream

Ready-ish. Just hoping for 6 markers on comparing anaerobic and aerobic, positive and negative phototropism and long term vs short term memory.
I'm hoping that this biology exam actually has lots of science in it.. unlike the B1B2B3 test we did. ;l
Original post by HappyHylian
I'm hoping that this biology exam actually has lots of science in it.. unlike the B1B2B3 test we did. ;l

Ikr. It's so annoying because you spend so much time actually learning the content. Then in the exam OCR start to focus more on data handling arghh. :frown:
Original post by Sulfur
Ready-ish. Just hoping for 6 markers on comparing anaerobic and aerobic, positive and negative phototropism and long term vs short term memory.

Theirs not much for the first one is their? I'd think a 4 marker maybe unless I'm missing something...?
Can someone explain the Triplet Code thing and the part about chemical synthesis? I understand about smaller molecules to larger molecules, smaller chain molecules form long chain molecules aka polymers, but how does that relate to amino acids and proteins?:s
Original post by Pandorax
Can someone explain the Triplet Code thing and the part about chemical synthesis? I understand about smaller molecules to larger molecules, smaller chain molecules form long chain molecules aka polymers, but how does that relate to amino acids and proteins?:s

DNA codes for protein, 3bases(a triplet) in DNA codes for one amino and those amino acids can be joined by ribosomes to create longer chains of amino acids: protein.the order that the ribosome joins the amino acids and is dependant on the bases order on the messenger rna.

This protein synthesis happens in the cytoplasm of cells
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 395
Original post by Sulfur

What would the positive and negatives of phototropism be?
Original post by mhusein

Phototropism is the bending of a plant towards the light source. The clear positive is that the plant gets more light. This means the plant can photosynthesis faster. Photosynthesizing faster means the plant will be able to produce much more glucose which it needs for survival (production of amino acids etc.)

I am not sure that phototropism has any negatives.
Original post by Pandorax

DNA is made up four bases. The sequence of these bases on the DNA is the instructions for protein production. A sequence of three bases on a DNA strand is known as a triplet code. Each triplet code codes for one amino acid.

Proteins are made up of amino acids. The order of these amino acids determines what protein is produced. So if you look on the DNA, every three bases you see will tell you which amino acid should be created.
Original post by mhusein

Positive phototropism occurs in shoots, as they grow towards the light and negative phototropism occurs in roots, as they grow away from the light.
Original post by HappyHylian
B4 Six Markers:

Comparing parts of plant/animal cell, what they do, how they help respiration.
Explaining how enzymes work + analysing/explaining data? How pH/temperature affects? Graphs?
Comparing aerobic and anerobic respiration and the advantages/disadvantages?
Comparing uses of fermentation. (Biogas/Bread/Alcohol). Maybe some explanation.
Explaining rate of photosynthesis, limiting factors, etc + analysing/explaining data.
Taking a transect/using a quadrat/light meter/ identification key.
The differences between diffusion/osmosis/active transport. Perhaps analysing/evaulating data? (I HOPE THIS ONE ISN'T USED! ><)
Comparing respiration between human cells/plant cells/bacteria cells.

B5 Six Markers:

Explaining how proteins are made by ribosomes.
Comparing Meiosis and Mitosis.
Comparing Adult Stem Cells and Embryonic Stem Cells + ethics?
Explaining how to clone using stem cells.
Explaining how to clone plants. (Cuttings, meristems, rooting powder, etc).
Explaining Phototropism and Auxins + analysing/explaining data?

B6 Six Markers:

Comparing CNS and PNS. Maybe just explaining either?
Explaining how the CNS coordinates a response with a given scenario (like, a bird sees a cat).
Explaining Synapses + why impulses can only go one way.
Explaining the reflex arc with a given scenario. (Sarah's leg still reacts when the doctor hits it with a hammer).
Explaining simple relflexes with different examples. (Sea anemones wave their tentacles when stimulated by pray's chemicals, molluscs close their shells, human eye contracting with increased light, etc, etc,).
Explaining Pavlov's dogs/conditioned reflexes.
Comparing brain development between child and adult + explain. Possibly explaining data. Maybe even comparing normal and feral children.
Different ways to study the brain + ethical issues.
Explaining how memory works + model.

(Updated version. The possible 6 markers in bold have already been asked in previous papers, HOWEVER, this doesn't mean they won't come up!!)

Bro, you're too awesome! Have you planned/answered these? I'm planning on doing that now until I feel like sleep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending