The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Practising with your friends and family and using tsr helped me. Confidence was also important.

Personally I think the courses are a waste of money but not a waste of time I guess...
Original post by lecamel
ISC course really helped me, especially on being prepared on what I was expected to know about the NHS, scandals and current news etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thank you! :smile: I've looked at it but they haven't posted dates on yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Miel Purple
Practising with your friends and family and using tsr helped me. Confidence was also important.

Personally I think the courses are a waste of money but not a waste of time I guess...

Yes I think it's definitely lack of confidence that let me down :/ I just want to do everything possible to improve for next year, providing I'm lulu enough to get an interview again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adriana25
Yes I think it's definitely lack of confidence that let me down :/ I just want to do everything possible to improve for next year, providing I'm lulu enough to get an interview again

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I understand. Confidence let me down in my first application too but I managed to man up and make the interviewers inferior to me while I boldly....you get the idea :tongue:
Original post by Miel Purple
Yeah I understand. Confidence let me down in my first application too but I managed to man up and make the interviewers inferior to me while I boldly....you get the idea :tongue:

Haha yeah! That's the type of mentality I need to go in with next year! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys can we all just take a minute to pity me and my off duty

dodgy off duty.jpg

Do i look like permanent night staff??? 12 nights over 4 weeks? Hm?
Original post by ameelia22
Guys can we all just take a minute to pity me and my off duty

dodgy off duty.jpg

Do i look like permanent night staff??? 12 nights over 4 weeks? Hm?

That is really bad. Your body clock is going to be destroyed by the end of it.
Original post by minhle20
That is really bad. Your body clock is going to be destroyed by the end of it.

What are they playing at... It's really upset me :frown:
What are they playing at... It's really upset me :frown:

That's a horrible set of shifts :frown:

Could you swap some of the shifts?
Original post by jollygood
Do medicine re applicants have to fully change their personal statement or do they just have to edit it a bit to add the gap year part?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally, I had so many more things to put into my statement the second time around that I re-wrote it completely. You'll also find that your writing style is probably better with another year of experience under your belt. :smile:
Hello, can anyone suggest any good interview courses? I had three I interviews but got rejected by all :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the AceMedicine course last November and that was pretty fantastic. The ISC book helps so so much as well, I think that the best thing to do is mix resources: the ISC book has hundreds of practice questions in, and you can use the techniques that are taught to you on interview courses to answer those questions when you're practising.
Interview courses are also really good for giving you BAD examples of how to answer questions. Most courses will be interactive so at some point everyone has a chance to answer a practice question and have their response dissected, so you do have the chance to see what a bad response looks like, which can be very helpful.
Guys when a doctor locums is that a bit like when nurses do agency work?
Reply 4532
Guys when a doctor locums is that a bit like when nurses do agency work?

Yes you can think of it similar to that! Locum doctors tend to work in hospitals/GP Practices and some work in both settings. Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 4533
Hello, can anyone suggest any good interview courses? I had three I interviews but got rejected by all :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Adriana25, I wouldn't recommend spending a lot on expensive courses. I would recommend the ISC Medical School Interview Book. It breaks down potential topics really well. Definitely be yourself and practice with friends/family members. It's also worth getting practice answering questions in a time limit, especially if you are going for MMI interview style. Another useful thing to do is make spider-charts of your work exp (what you have learnt) so you can quickly skim over them in your interview, as your work exp will definitely form the backbone to a lot of questions. Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by PocketMerlin
I did the AceMedicine course last November and that was pretty fantastic. The ISC book helps so so much as well, I think that the best thing to do is mix resources: the ISC book has hundreds of practice questions in, and you can use the techniques that are taught to you on interview courses to answer those questions when you're practising.
Interview courses are also really good for giving you BAD examples of how to answer questions. Most courses will be interactive so at some point everyone has a chance to answer a practice question and have their response dissected, so you do have the chance to see what a bad response looks like, which can be very helpful.

Thank you for your help! It sounds really good :biggrin: I will definitely look into it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spiggy
Hi Adriana25, I wouldn't recommend spending a lot on expensive courses. I would recommend the ISC Medical School Interview Book. It breaks down potential topics really well. Definitely be yourself and practice with friends/family members. It's also worth getting practice answering questions in a time limit, especially if you are going for MMI interview style. Another useful thing to do is make spider-charts of your work exp (what you have learnt) so you can quickly skim over them in your interview, as your work exp will definitely form the backbone to a lot of questions. Hope that helps :smile:

Hello :biggrin: thank you for your help. I will definitely get that book, many people have suggested it :smile: also I really like the spider diagram! I found that sometimes I just went blank because I was under pressure, but a spider diagram will make it simpler and it'll make it easier to remind myself everything before I go in. Hopefully I'll get a chance to prove myself again 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4536
Hello :biggrin: thank you for your help. I will definitely get that book, many people have suggested it :smile: also I really like the spider diagram! I found that sometimes I just went blank because I was under pressure, but a spider diagram will make it simpler and it'll make it easier to remind myself everything before I go in. Hopefully I'll get a chance to prove myself again ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a problem!! I definitely found spider diagrams useful, more efficient than reading blocks of text! It may also be useful to make charts for the key things each uni offers, role of a doctor (add your experiences) and the course style :smile: You will get better with practice!
Thank you for your help! It sounds really good :biggrin: I will definitely look into it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. :smile: If you really cannot afford to spend money on a course (AceMedicine was £127, plus you have travel costs to consider) then definitely check out the Medicine Interview thread for 2014, as people have posted links to a lot of resources plus there are so many tips/questions there.
The general technique that you are taught at interview courses for formal interview stations (i.e traditional interview format or a station in an MMI interview which is formatted in a similar way) is "STARR" (or some other variation of this), which is Situation Task Action Result Reflect. So for example when asked 'tell me about a time where you worked in a team' you would use the technique to not just describe the situation but to show what you learned from it. Anecdotes are also highlighted as something that you should have prepared for the interview (not rehearsed, but almost 'bullet-pointed' in your head) for questions such as those about work experience, a difficult situation, a time where you were a leader/team member, ect.
I found that the interview course was much more helpful for MMI interview techniques, getting a concise summary of changes within the NHS, ect. You could probably get away with just doing mock interviews and using the ISC book if you don't want to pay for a course, just choose someone that you find slightly intimidating to interview you. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you all for the help!! They're definitely great ideas on how I can improve and prepare more efficiently! :biggrin: I just need to get the grades now and after my chemistry test on Monday I'm scared that I won't ://

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4539
Hi guys, I'm in second year of college atm, pretty much messed up my first year so this year I've done two AS exam resits to boost my overall grade up but it won't be enough to get the grades needed for medicine. I didn't apply to uni this year because I was going to apply to Biomedical science & then re-apply to medicine after my first yr, but after some time I've decided that would be a waste of time & unfair to some people who actually want to do biomedicine if I were to get accepted and not even want to do it as I'd be taking up a place for a yr only to change courses. So a gap year is my best option. I can hopefully resit some exams to get the grades needed, if not more. Work experience is also a motive since I have no real experience med schools look for in an applicant. As we all know medicine UCAS deadlines are earlier than the rest, being in October. So this coming October, (Oct 2014) I would have already received my A level results and hopefully started work. My question is, when writing my personal statement, I would obviously include my plans in the gap year, however would saying, these are my A level grades (for example ABC) and after resitting exams I'll hopefully bring them up to AAA, be enough to get me a place in September 2015, or would I only get a place after my results come out for my resits (August 2015) meaning I would then have to apply for medicine by Oct 2015, therefore if I get accepted, start uni in Sept 2016. So would taking this yr off 2014/2015 mean I'd start uni in Sept 2016, so two years instead of one? Sorry for the long essay, just want to know what I'm doing & you guys seem like you've got everything sorted! Thanks in advance:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending