The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

I feel so bad for Nole he obviously wanted to win so badly maybe too much. I hope Nole can do it eventually but as it gets harder for Rafa it'll get harder for him. I think Nole should try and win the other slams as much as possible too to get to double figures that way his legacy will be assured irrespective of if he wins RG.
Original post by Pistol 33
A range of excuses but simply Rafa is better all round player than Novak.

No, he isn't. Novak is better. Nadal is just mentally stronger in big matches.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Krish4791
Fair enough, but no-one's been able to properly get it done - that day may only come when Rafa's forehand starts to fail him on clay.

If someone is to do it I don't think it will be Djokovic. Last year he could be consoled by the fact that he cam close than ever but this year he regressed by only taking it to four and I think that will destroy him mentally as far as RG and Nadal is concerned. The best bet will be a talented youngster to take him out in the early rounds I think.
Novak must win either Wimbledon or US Open this year. He can't go two years without winning a slam in his prime years.
Original post by Pistol 33
A range of excuses but simply Rafa is better all round player than Novak.

I wouldn't go that far he's just a better competitor and knows how to play the big matches/ points better. Djokovic needs to try and use this loss as motivation to win the bigger matches over Nadal. Djokovic can still salvage what has been an extremely disappointing year
Where is Ubi1 thought he'd of been on this result like anything?
Original post by hskjlclcn
Where is Ubi1 thought he'd of been on this result like anything?

He spends more time on TalkTennis these days, probably because it contains more like-minded individuals.
After this match who are people tipping for Wimbledon? I think it may be the most open tournament in a while
Original post by lizzy95
After this match who are people tipping for Wimbledon? I think it may be the most open tournament in a while

Murray
Djokovic
Federer
Nadal
Original post by Roger1
Novak must win either Wimbledon or US Open this year. He can't go two years without winning a slam in his prime years.

He won the Australian open last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Roger1
Murray
Djokovic
Federer
Nadal

I'm very interested to see how Mauresmo can help Murray. I think Nadal will make a deeper run than he's done in the last few years. I'm not sure with Federer any result wouldn't be shocking. I think Djokovic will make a deep run too. No clue who the favourite is...
Original post by TH3-FL45H
He won the Australian open last year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but if he doesn't win any slams this year, he wouldn't have won a slam for 2 years going into next years Australian Open. I'm sorry for not being very clear.
Original post by Roger1
Murray
Djokovic
Federer
Nadal

I kind of agree
Murray the favourite in my eyes as well. Djokovic, being the most consistent player since 2011, is going to make the semis at least. I don't however, think he'll necessarily win it - if he plays an in-form Murray, his suspect movement on grass might get exposed again
Fedal are the X-factors. If Federer survives week 1 and has a good draw (i.e. no Nadal, no dangerous hitter) and feels fresh, I can see a deep run there. His record in semi-finals and finals suggests that he's the best pick at the very end of the tournament.
Finally, Rafa's won the French again as we know (I suspect he might withdraw from Halle) - he could bomb out early or go deep, not really sure - probably depends on the draw
Original post by lizzy95
I'm very interested to see how Mauresmo can help Murray. I think Nadal will make a deeper run than he's done in the last few years. I'm not sure with Federer any result wouldn't be shocking. I think Djokovic will make a deep run too. No clue who the favourite is...

I would have put Federer as the favourite but he hasn't done well in the past couple of tournaments. I've seen enough from Murray in Rome and RG to declare him as the slight favourite over Novak Djokovic. Unsure about how well Rafa will do tbh. He is scheduled to play in Halle when begins tomorrow so that will give us some indication about his chances, although I think he might just pull out now that he has won RG.
According to the Wimbledon formula, the top 4 seedings should be as follows:

1. Djokovic 2. Nadal 3. Murray 4. Federer
I kind of agree
Murray the favourite in my eyes as well. Djokovic, being the most consistent player since 2011, is going to make the semis at least. I don't however, think he'll necessarily win it - if he plays an in-form Murray, his suspect movement on grass might get exposed again
Fedal are the X-factors. If Federer survives week 1 and has a good draw (i.e. no Nadal, no dangerous hitter) and feels fresh, I can see a deep run there. His record in semi-finals and finals suggests that he's the best pick at the very end of the tournament.
Finally, Rafa's won the French again as we know (I suspect he might withdraw from Halle) - he could bomb out early or go deep, not really sure - probably depends on the draw

Exactly my thoughts.
According to the Wimbledon formula, the top 4 seedings should be as follows:

1. Djokovic 2. Nadal 3. Murray 4. Federer

Surely Nadal has to be 4 because the other 3 has fared better than him in the last couple of years.
I think we know almost for certain that Rafa will put out of Halle to rest his back.
Original post by Roger1
Surely Nadal has to be 4 because the other 3 has fared better than him in the last couple of years.

I can't remember how it works but even being world no.1 I think Rafa won't be seeded 1 or 2.
Original post by Sirocco11
I think we know almost for certain that Rafa will put out of Halle to rest his back.

I wanted to see Federer vs Nadal on grass.:frown: It's one of the few tournaments where Fed can still beat Rafa.

Quick Reply

Latest