The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
Compared to last year i'm not sure (last year had rain breaks which may have effected certain days) but the court this year was glacial compared to the other slams and that's even with Australia and Wimbledon slowed recently.

Perhaps but I can never tell the speed of the courts from watching. :frown:
Original post by Roger1
Perhaps but I can never tell the speed of the courts from watching. :frown:

Watch Wimbledon in the video i posted then think back to one of the matches this week.
Original post by Roger1
Really? I heard the courts were faster this year.

I'm pretty sure the courts were relatively quick this year. The speed was under-represented because the conditions were so cold in the first week.
WEnt to the Aegon Classic today in Edgbaston, saw some great tennis on the centre court. 3/4 were ended in straight sets but 3 of th 4 were comeptitive matches - I saw two rising stars in the first match, Belinda Bencic and the semi-finalist last year, Dona Vekic, which Bencic won. Both of them are ridiculously young, Bencic still 17 and Vekic turns 18 in a few weeks. Bencic impressed me the most - she was not lacking in firepower despite being weaker than Vekic off the serve, but nonetheless was great at reacting when under a lot of pressure and improvising. The second match was between Zheng Jie and Schiavone, the most experienced pair that played today I think, and there was a lot of variety in the points, particularly from Schiavone. She's really got a wonderful backhand slice, and it was refrshing to see a WTA match that wasn't settled solely on crushing groundstrokes down the sidelines. I missed most of the Barthel vs Tomljanovic (that was the most one sided match of the day) to wander around the practice courts but watched the final match between another rising young player, Kristina Mladenovic, and Shahar Peer, from start to finish, which went to a final set. It was the most competitive match all day, but Mladenovic really seemed to have lost feel after racing out to a 5-2 lead in the first set. As ever it's just awesome to see the torque to which the professional players hit the ball close up, and you really get to see the idiosyncrasies of players' games in more relief. I noticed that Schiavone gets a great amount of topspin on her forehand, as much as anyone in the women's game, perhaps excepting Stosur.
(edited 9 years ago)
I swear the grass at Halle is faster than the one used at Queens and Wimbledon. The bounces also seems lower. Is it just me or anyone else sees the difference as well?
Original post by Sirocco11
x

Great analysis. Haven't seen much of bencic but I do think vekic will be up there competing with the top players in the not too distant future.
Original post by jamiepango
Great analysis. Haven't seen much of bencic but I do think vekic will be up there competing with the top players in the not too distant future.

Cheers man - yeah I think so too, should be a top 20 player for sure. After winning a title at 17 that's hugely promising, and it seemed to me like she had both the shots and the willpower to be successful yesterday. She hits very cleanly, especially off the backhand and she has the stature for her serve to be a potent weapon, so she should start to rack up some wins as she goes on.
Does anybody know why all the ball boys at Queen's Aegon Championships are female? It's just an observation I made and had me wondering why they are not of mixed sex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone watch Murray win in straight sets today at Queens?
Reply 1149
Original post by Doppelgänger
Does anybody know why all the ball boys at Queen's Aegon Championships are female? It's just an observation I made and had me wondering why they are not of mixed sex.

I read an article about this a few years ago, from what I remember it is because they have an arrangement with a couple of the local all-girls schools who provide the ball kids for the tournament.

As far as I know, they've never given a reason beyond that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kado
I read an article about this a few years ago, from what I remember it is because they have an arrangement with a couple of the local all-girls schools who provide the ball kids for the tournament.

As far as I know, they've never given a reason beyond that.

Seems like a plausible explanation, but if that's the case it's hardly fair to have such a narrow arrangement.

Cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Anyone watch Murray win in straight sets today at Queens?

I watched the 1st set. He seemed comfortable on grass and his serving was much better than recently. I actually think he could retain his Wimbledon title (although I'm a bit apprehensive about how he would do against Nadal on grass because they haven't played there in a while)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skkc16
I watched the 1st set. He seemed comfortable on grass and his serving was much better than recently. I actually think he could retain his Wimbledon title (although I'm a bit apprehensive about how he would do against Nadal on grass because they haven't played there in a while)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea, i thought he was looking good. If there's a time to hit your stride for a britihs player it's definitely Wimbledon.

Reckon we should start up a Wimbledon chat thread as well to get as many people involved as possible.

Also, i may have a quick look at seeing if there is a Fantasy Wimbledon game out there like the ones for the world cup where you predict winners for each game then the overall winner could get a prize. :smile:
http://www.grandslamfantasytennis.com/rules-prizes/

What do people think of that site for Fantasy Wimbledon tournament?

I'm sure i could arrange some TSR funded prizes to get everyone involved and excited! :ahee:
Can anybody tell me why despite being 250 tournaments Halle has a field of 32 but Queens, 64.

Original post by Skkc16

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still don't think he'll beat Nadal or Federer at Wimbledon and an SF encounter with one seems likely (unless Fed gets seeded 5th).

Personally i can't wait for the Fedal final in Halle. First time played on grass since that epic.

Regarding Queens we have Murray and Dimitrov still in (playing for QF spots tomorrow) but all the British players in addition to Hewitt and Tomic are out.

Regarding Halle we have Raonic out but Nikishori is 1 game away from setting up a probable SF with Fed, he played fairly well. Of course i'm sure we'll all be cheering for Fedal on Sunday.
Gulbis and Raonic, who made pretty deep runs at the French last week. Have both exited early in Queen's and Halle. Consistency seems to be the main issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krish4791
Gulbis and Raonic, who made pretty deep runs at the French last week. Have both exited early in Queen's and Halle. Consistency seems to be the main issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Given his performance at Madrid, how well do you think Nikishori can translate at Wimbledon if he plays as he did.
Original post by Motorbiker

Reckon we should start up a Wimbledon chat thread as well to get as many people involved as possible.

Also, i may have a quick look at seeing if there is a Fantasy Wimbledon game out there like the ones for the world cup where you predict winners for each game then the overall winner could get a prize. :smile:

Don't see the point, we usually just keep it in here and it's much easier to follow....the Fantasy Wimbledon sounds like a fun prospect
Original post by Rakas21
Can anybody tell me why despite being 250 tournaments Halle has a field of 32 but Queens, 64.

Still don't think he'll beat Nadal or Federer at Wimbledon and an SF encounter with one seems likely (unless Fed gets seeded 5th).

I think it's going to be
1.Nole
2. Nadal
3.Murray
4.Federer

Will wait after watching how well Nadal does in Halle this week but I would give Murray a slight edge over both if all are healthy
Original post by Skkc16
Don't see the point, we usually just keep it in here and it's much easier to follow....the Fantasy Wimbledon sounds like a fun prospect

I think it's going to be
1.Nole
2. Nadal
3.Murray
4.Federer

Will wait after watching how well Nadal does in Halle this week but I would give Murray a slight edge over both if all are healthy

depends on how federer plays in halle, who knows maybe he might win his 8th wimbledon title
Original post by Rakas21

Personally i can't wait for the Fedal final in Halle. First time played on grass since that epic.

Fedal might not happen. Nadal can lose to Kohlschreiber and Federer to Nishikori.

Quick Reply

Latest