The Student Room Group

Medicine and competitive swimming?

Basically i wondered if it was possible to study medicine AND swim competitively at the same time to a high standard, at least nationals. Because i need to apply for uni this year and medicine really appeals to me but i would love to carry on swimming too! Is anyone else is this position or has been?
Reply 1
Original post by kateeej
Basically i wondered if it was possible to study medicine AND swim competitively at the same time to a high standard, at least nationals. Because i need to apply for uni this year and medicine really appeals to me but i would love to carry on swimming too! Is anyone else is this position or has been?

I have a friend who manages a medical degree and rows at top level im sure you could manage swimming with a levels. And if when it comes to it you can't cope then you have to make a decision which goes. It's pretty personal to your academic ability, stress tolerance etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by em.d_4
I have a friend who manages a medical degree and rows at top level im sure you could manage swimming with a levels. And if when it comes to it you can't cope then you have to make a decision which goes. It's pretty personal to your academic ability, stress tolerance etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well ive just completed my as levels and i managed to keep training 9 times a week fine, its just i don't know whether it will be too much at uni with medicine swimming and a socail life too!
If you manage it now you'll probably manage it at uni yes.
I think there's this exact story on one of the boards at my gym. An alumni who studied medicine and competed on the international stage in swimming at the same time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I think there's this exact story on one of the boards at my gym. An alumni who studied medicine and competed on the international stage in swimming at the same time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

good to hear thanks!
In my swimming club there is a guy who studies Medicine and he got 4 National times this year for the first time so I'd assume its manageable if you manage the work effectively!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending